Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Mileage

WCF

Help Support WCF:

R

Ryan

How do you keep a record of yours ?

do you do it per week per day ?

will it be ok to just fill up say £30 take a note of the mileage and then take a note of the mileage agine when i fill up agine ?

i only do about 20-30 miles a week so hardly anything atm

so you just stick petrol in and take a note of the mileage and then stick a note at the end of the month of what the mileage is then

how do we get the 45p a mile at the end of the year does it just come off what ever take you may have to pay ?

I am not 100% sure I think you have to fill in a form, mines done via a PAYE accountant.

My window cleaning business does about 10 - 20 miles a day when I work so since it’s still being built I know the average miles but once you have a complete round it’s easy to do the mileage because you generally do the same route every day.

Hopefully someone who has been doing this a bit longer that us can give us some insight.

Personally I don't do it the 45p a mile way, I just put every penny I spend on the van through. If you have an older van this is probably the best way, as repair bills etc can be high.

Not too sure on the mileage thing...are you using the vehicle for work AND for personal use?

Can you not just take a note of mileage at the start of the tax year, then again at the end, and times it by 45p??

If the vehicle is used 100% for business, you won't need to keep track weekly or monthly will you?

Keep a record of every mile on a spreadsheet. The tax man has been known to ask for exact dates and REASONS for each trip. Don't forget to include the postcode starting and ending points for EACH TRIP.

Each mile is worth 45p tax free so he can't touch it but you really REALLY need to keep it up to date. I use a reference for every time I claim the expense. On my expenses I then just enter the reference number and the relevant cost.

I've attached a spreadsheet with the formulas because I'm THAT GOOD TO YOU GUYS! Feel free to use and abuse it!

Mileage Form.xlsx

I didn't know you needed to be that detailed?? What if you drive to 20 different places every day? I have to move the van about 10 times a day sometimes, but it's still the same estate or even street, do you count these trips even tho same address?

If its the same estate or street and you're moving the van just to make things easier then I wouldn't worry about your mileage. If its a couple of miles then you need to record it. The tax man will expect you to be able to justify every single mile. Worst case scenario is just make it up as long as its realistic!

Latest Posts

Back