Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Moving back to scotland

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dan Paton

Just as I start to build a round here in the south it looks like I'm going to be moving back to Scotland for family reasons. Could anyone explain the licence system there. Would a Glasgow licence allow me to work outside Glasgow etc. cheers

mate it can be a nightmare but it really depends where you are, i lived in kilwinning & had work in kilmarnock & up to saltcoats if i'd done it legally i should of had 2 licences but as i had no idea about it when i moved up i never bothered, but a crew i helped out now & again kept getting asked to show theirs a lot but they were in newton mearns, that was 7 rs ago though so its probably worse now.

Cheers Simon. Most of my family are in port Glasgow and Greenock but I'd imagine the work there is pretty much sewn up so I may end up in Glasgow. A licence for each council area then. Sounds like a big money making exercise

it can be pricey if you cover a big area but not all councils enforce it the same, there is a lot of work up there as a lot of it is 2 weekly, the lad i got my round off was paying his lads £10hr 7 yrs ago, a lot off the work in saltcoats was £3 / £4 but i still managed £20 hr without killing myself working the schemes

I am from Greenock, one of my employees licence is up next month I think, and its around £130 for three years(last I checked), which covers Inverclyde, so not too bad, as it works out at £43 per year. However some areas of Glasgow charge upwards of £200 for one year.

They will do a criminal background check, which is far as I am aware has to be something fairly serious for them to refuse a licence for. You also must have public liability insurance in place, (check out simply business), the process normally takes about 6 weeks, from application to the licence being granted.

If you need any help or advice, give me a call buddy.

Gerard

(mcmanus window cleaning, greenock)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am probably one of the few that agrees with the theory of the licence system if it was managed properly. I have 2 licences because I operate in 2 council areas. But it should be managed allot better than it is.

Good luck Dan hope you get back up and running up here mate.

Back