Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do gutter vacs actually work?

M

MrBump

As the title says. I know ladders are better, cheaper etc etc, but:

1. I'm not getting up ladders if I can help it and 2. Most of the jobs that I'm quoting for have awkward access that I wouldn't be able to use a ladder for anyway.

I have enough jobs to pay for a vac, but I want to know if they really work. Whats the consensus? It seems some say they work and some say they don't. I'll get a 3000w vac and some cf poles. So its either the vacs work great I'll get one and do the jobs and everyones happy or of they don't work I won't get one and turn the jobs down. Whats everyones experience, do they really work?

Last edited:
Some will swear by them, some won't,

I think there rubbish, you've gotta have power for a start, you have to drag it about, it's a right faff, it's cumbersome, annoying and noisy, not to mention half the time you can't get the hook part in the gutters! It's like working blind,

It's much much MUCH faster to use a gutter clearing device and get up a ladder mate, I could not believe how easy and fast those gutter adapters do the job - it's almost embarrassing!

Here's mine in action, so easy, so fast!

View attachment 5166

View attachment 5165

That said, anything 3 story and above, then defo defo use a gutter vac...

Cheers dude. 2 of the jobs are 3 storey, ones an oversized 2 storey, ones huge, ones got lots of gutters over a massive conservatory... I'll need a vac if I'm going to do them. I have a camera to see up there. Speeds not really my concern, won't be doing many anyway, not like windows where you need to bash out as many as poss in a day. I will defo use those poles and hooks on bungalows though! /emoticons/biggrin.png

So do they actually work when needed? Can you be confident when you turn up, however long or awkward it is, that you will leave with the gutters cleaned with your vac?

As I said in the original post, I'm not getting up ladders that high for a few quid, I have enough work to pay for the vac and they have awkward access. No-ones gonna convince me to get up ladders that high for some gutter money! /emoticons/tongue.png

No as I said bump, for three story then defo get a gutter vac, but anything that's easy to reach at normal two story then it's better to use gutter pro on Harris pole... Minimal setup, and much easier work.

You will find out how awkward it is to use a gutter vac soon /emoticons/wink.png it's quite funny watching people use them at times, it's like a crystal maze challenge!

But they are good for really high and hard to rach gutters, that's for sure!

Don't be afraid to use ladders for two story houses though.. And also you don't need the customer to be in when you use the gutter pro, as you don't need power !

Cool I used to love crystal maze, always did wish I'd gone on it /emoticons/biggrin.png These customers have to be in to let me their electric gates so that'll be fine /emoticons/wink.png I won't be getting on a ladder up over a bungalow gutter no matter how much easier it is /emoticons/tongue.png

Just as long as they work good enough then thats good enough for me /emoticons/biggrin.png

Dinner bump... Anyone else have any experience using gutter vacs and if they get the jobs done?

Utterly gutterly, do you just use pro gutter tools becuase they are easier/quicker? Could you use a gutter vac for the whole property without need for a ladder and still do the job satisfactorily?

Hi Mr Bump,

I could use the guttervac to do any 2-3 storey job but I would either have to go up a ladder to make sure they were clean or use a go pro camera in conjunction with my ipad to survey after. Either way it is all as fuss and a faff which is why I use progutter tools working from a ladder for 90% of the time. They are definitely quicker.

However, there are always jobs that require a guttervac as the pictures show. I have never been beaten on domestic jobs up to 3 storeys high in over 600 properties that I have done because I have all options available to me. Price awkward jobs accordingly and you'll make the outlay on a guttervac back in no time. There's nothing worse than being not being able to do complete a job (or win the job) because you didn't have readily available equipment. UG

Utterly gutterly, do you just use pro gutter tools becuase they are easier/quicker? Could you use a gutter vac for the whole property without need for a ladder and still do the job satisfactorily?

Cool thanks for replying UG. Yeah definately needed a vac in those pictures you got. One of mine in particlar is like those with a huge conservatory in the corner of an L-shaped house. Where with some you've needed the vac along with the ladder, are there any where you have actually 'needed' a ladder or will a vac always do the job just fine on its own?

My ladder only goes up to first floor windows and I don't have a roof rack and not about to get a new ladder/roof rack for the odd gutter job. I have an action cam and screen (watch) already that I can attach to the poles to see what I'm doing. I won't ever be getting up a ladder if I can help it (I fell off and broke my elbow a few months back and can't straighten or twist my arm so its even more dodgy for me on a ladder as I can't stretch or hold on properly with one arm, I'm fine climbing one but anything else is just unsafe and not worth it). So if I can use a gutter vac for 95% or better still 100% of gutter jobs then I'll do that!?

Found this, not the most powerful motor but looks like it does the job and comes with carbon poles

http://www.spinaclean.com/skyvac-atom.asp. Alternatively the guttersucker looks ok too.

What one do you use?

Interesting guys!

I have a fare bit of that type of work and was asking myself the very same question, so thanks Mr bump I now have the answer, so going to stick with ladders!
/emoticons/smile.png

I use my vac for awkward access issues. It has a rear view mirror which I clip on one of the poles to see if I missed owt. Most of the time it does miss stuff. God knows why as it has a 3000W motor. Bloody cold when using alloy poles in the winter too!!! I use the Pro Gutter tools for most of my gutter jobs now. Gardiners do an adapter that fits on their WFP so that you can use acme threaded tools on the end of it.

Unfortunately there are a few occasions when a guttervac won't do a job because a) the tiles are so close to the edge of the gutters you can't get a nozzle in and under the tiles, b) the muck in the gutters is solid dust (from conc tiles after a dry spell) and won't budge, c) seamless gutters with internal brackets, d) you can't get electric. If I can't do a 100% job I am not happy.

I have Skyvac CF poles with a Nilfisk Alto 40 litre 1450w vac. I also have a 70 litre 3000w vac but rarely use it as it is a pain in the Ar53 - heavy and awkward. If you can survey the gutters with your camera when you quote you will know what you are dealing with and accept or refuse to quote the job. I started with a cheap guttervac and within a few jobs I realised I needed a ladder to get up and have a look. On some occasions I have used a vac in conjunction with the ladder as in this pic (Seamless gutters over conservatory)

UG

View attachment 5173

Cool thanks for replying UG. Yeah definately needed a vac in those pictures you got. One of mine in particlar is like those with a huge conservatory in the corner of an L-shaped house. Where with some you've needed the vac along with the ladder, are there any where you have actually 'needed' a ladder or will a vac always do the job just fine on its own?
My ladder only goes up to first floor windows and I don't have a roof rack and not about to get a new ladder/roof rack for the odd gutter job. I have an action cam and screen (watch) already that I can attach to the poles to see what I'm doing. I won't ever be getting up a ladder if I can help it (I fell off and broke my elbow a few months back and can't straighten or twist my arm so its even more dodgy for me on a ladder as I can't stretch or hold on properly with one arm, I'm fine climbing one but anything else is just unsafe and not worth it). So if I can use a gutter vac for 95% or better still 100% of gutter jobs then I'll do that!?

Found this, not the most powerful motor but looks like it does the job and comes with carbon poles

http://www.spinaclean.com/skyvac-atom.asp. Alternatively the guttersucker looks ok too.

What one do you use?

I like the mirror idea tuffers!

Clearly everyone prefers ladders and pro gutter tools, but I ain't getting up no ladders that high fools /emoticons/biggrin.png Well not got a ladder big enough and not buying one either :rofl:

Never bought Progutters tools as for some reason (deluded) I'd heard they were crazy expensive, looked today and a full set of 4 is just under £50, nothing really if it makes the job so much simpler.

Mr Bump, as for the necessity of a gutter vac, I had one a few years ago and didn't get along with it. 99% of my guttering jobs are terraces and semis, and to be honest I can do them on a ladder in less time than it takes to set up a gutter vac and get started.

I do think that when I start targeting more commercial property with nice wide gutter channels I may go for another.

UG, that's not what I wanted to hear /emoticons/tongue.png

So access is the main problem, but other than that it sucks up all leaves, moss and other cr@p? Do you have the flat nozzle? That looks like its made to get into tight gutters where the tiles overhang. Also with internal gutters can't you just lift it over each bracket, still a pain obviously. Also can you not attach a knife or something to break up compacted concrete dust? I would of thought a plastic gutter tool would struggle with the dust too? Lastly why not just attach a camera to the top while your working rather than get the ladders out each time to check?

Sorry for all the Q's. Just want to br certain a vac will be able to do the job before I blow hundreds on one! Personally for me it's either get a vac and it'll work or turn the jobs down. I'm the same as you, will only do a jon 100%. But at the same time I don't really want my customers to look elsewhere for a gutter cleaner incase they also do windows and end up under cutting me on that or something.

Last edited:
Do you think you'll be getting a lot of gutter jobs mate? If not then please consider getting up a ladder, it is safe and there are lots of saftey devices out there to keep you safe mate,

If not then you'll have to bite the bullet and see how you get on with a vac....

I know it's not what you want to hear mate, but being confident on the old ladders is essential in my book, but, it's up to you!

I know what your saying bud but its not for me. My ladders aren't big enough and not getting another set and a roof rack (so many places I go my van only just fits under the barrier!). Plus since I can't straighten my elbow or twist it fully its just dodgy for me doing stuff up a ladder now. Can climb one fine but not up for faffing about up one, either can't hold on properly or can't stretch. Rather turn the jobs down. But don't want another window cleaner turning up to do gutter jobs for my custies and then trying to nick.my window work too. Its either buy a vac or turn them down.

Although people prefer ladders, it does seem that vacs 'can' do the job, just have some issues on some. I'll have to make some kind of scoop attachment to knock stuff out of the gutters on those and then clean up the mess off the floor I guess and hope the vac can do most of the work.

Like the look of the skyvac atom, only 1200w, but cheap, smaller, comes with cf poles and being a skyvac surely it should be able yo do the job, well you'd hope anyway?

How the hell are you getting internet in a barn in the middle of nowhere :rofl: Hope you brought your coat with you, apparently it might not rain wednesday... Your a far cry from the driest place in the uk now eh :laugh:

Back