Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest MrBump

Do gutter vacs actually work?

Trev81
I just buy Ali pipe or stainless and make your own costs pennies just buy 2 inch pipe

I'm a strong bloke but even with 5 or 6 carbon poles high at the angles I have had to vac some gutters out I'd not fancy it with alloy ones. But yes I guess there fine for straight forward jobs or if your built like hulk hogan lol.

Trev81

Bertha getting ready for her work today...

FullSizeRender.jpg.c177cfb8702cef69c0869f33c5341a05.jpg

Bertha out in the field today grafting hard…

5915ca59ce062_FullSizeRendercopy.jpg.dd245c1d0d14a0df1058a5f894d32409.jpg

Luke Barnard

I'm a bit confused by Spinacleans pricing...the atom kit with 7 carbon poles is £477+vat (that seams really cheap) especially as the 7 poles without the vac are £870+vat. Is this another balls up like Ionics liquidator prices or are the poles different somehow?

Guest MrBump

Yeah that got me too Luke, I figured it was a great deal either way and so I ordered it. After buying it I found out they are slightly different, I think they are slightly narrower and have less carbon, well defo less carbon, but I will measure them when they come tomorrow and let you know. Think of wfp poles, you can pay a few hundred for a decent carbon pole, say an slx, but then if you want the super special carbon poles, say an extreme, its a thousand, you have to pay alot more for slightly better.

The atoms designed to clear gutters by peeps who know what they are doing so if its good enough to clean gutters for a year then I'm happy. Andy from Spinaclean is really helpful and quick to reply too so I'd ask him if you want to know specifically. Tell him the guy from Zure who bought an atom today sent you :thumbsup:

bill
I'm a strong bloke but even with 5 or 6 carbon poles high at the angles I have had to vac some gutters out I'd not fancy it with alloy ones. But yes I guess there fine for straight forward jobs or if your built like hulk hogan lol.

I mean the end tools wot join the top of your poles as you can make any shape and size you want

jamiesmack

Im looking to order a vac soon @MrBump so look forward to your review :D

Jake

Do some vids @MrBump of you 'playing with your vacuum'

:rofl::rofl::rofl::eek::eek::eek:

Guest MrBump

Not sure about vids, maybe I'll see, but will get some photos up... Might need Gav to add an 18+ section though :rofl:

58820a_4813080.jpg

Luke Barnard
Yeah that got me too Luke, I figured it was a great deal either way and so I ordered it. After buying it I found out they are slightly different, I think they are slightly narrower and have less carbon, well defo less carbon, but I will measure them when they come tomorrow and let you know. Think of wfp poles, you can pay a few hundred for a decent carbon pole, say an slx, but then if you want the super special carbon poles, say an extreme, its a thousand, you have to pay alot more for slightly better.

The atoms designed to clear gutters by peeps who know what they are doing so if its good enough to clean gutters for a year then I'm happy. Andy from Spinaclean is really helpful and quick to reply too so I'd ask him if you want to know specifically. Tell him the guy from Zure who bought an atom today sent you :thumbsup:

I bought the Guttervac Pro Junior from Omnipole last year which is a similar price. It does the job well enough but only has four rather heavy alloy poles which have been "manufactured" by a man with a hacksaw as have the two end tools, the vac comes in the box from its original producer with floor tools, dust bag, etc so just a cheap shop vac sold on with a price jump really.

As I said it does the job even at only 1400 watts but its not really what I expected from the original inventors of the GutterVac.

With hindsight I would have made my own with bits off Ebay.

Guest MrBump

Wow that sounds a bit bodged Luke, but as long as it does thats the main thing :thumbsup:

I used ominpole a few weeks ago for a watertank, after it didn't get delivered for a week after its due date I rang up and they told me it would definately be with me the next day, two days pass and still nothing so I ring again. They get back to me saying their supplier has now told them its split or has a hole in and I had to get a refund. How has it taken this long to realise this, it should of been with me 2 weeks ago! Why is it not in their own stock to start with. I got a long letter of apology (almost as long as this post :D) but its all a bit shocking all round. Won't ever be using them again. Sorry just had to get that off my chest :laugh:

On a lighter note I got my vac through today. Arrived within 24 hrs, now thats service! The poles are light as anything, almost weightless lol. They taper from 40mm to 45mm and are push fit, easy to slot together and pull apart. Just tried it out and it seems to work well enough, probably takes a few more passes than an almighty one would, but that doesn't bother me, not had a chance to really put it through its paces yet as my gutters aren't full of moss or anything, just general dirt which came up fine. But at a quarter of the price compared to the industrial 85 its gotta be worth it. I like that the poles come in a bag too and the vac also has a blower function. Tip: make sure its on the suck function not blow function when you put the end of the tube in a bucket of water to clean the pipes or you'll end up drenched! :D

jamiesmack

Would you recommend it @MrBump or would it be worth saving for a more powerful vac?

Guest MrBump

Well considering you'd need to find 4x the money of the atom, or an extra £1800ish, then yeah I'd definately recommend it. But I've only tested it out on my gutters so far, which weren't very challenging, but it worked fine. Like that the vacs so light too, and if compact then the industrials huge and is heavier. More likely to leave it on my van as not so massive. That said, if your going to be doing alot or 4 storey plus work and have loads of spare money obviously the mack daddy one is going to be better, but if you just want to add on a gutter service and not have a huge outlay then yeah I would get it. Can leaf blow with it too if needed. Andy from spinaclean is proper helpful too. If you buy one tell him the guy from zure who bought an atom last week sent you :thumbsup:

Spec comparison: Atom 100" lift, 3800 ltr/min, 35 ltr tank; Industrial 85 150" lift, 7700 ltr/min, 78ltr tank. (no I don't know why its called the industrial 85) :D

Jimroot

As far as my research went, it's efficiency rather than power that's the key in a vac. But without it taking too much time, a lot is going to be luck and trial and error selecting kit

I opted for clamp-less poles for speed, I'd say the vac can be as quick round a semi as ladder in good circumstances and possibly less hassle and potential risk

I've also found the vac to pull out 2kg of tree/soil And same of compacted root turf

Guest MrBump

Not tested how much it can lift yet, but will do later. I have clamp less poles too, easy as pie to put together and take apart.

KieMan

I've got a gutter vac from www.guttercleaningsystems.co.uk very good for first gutter vac only 1400w but made sure I had 40ft of carbon fibre push fit poles. My friend has the super dupa skyvac £2000+ jobby and now has downgraded size of vac due to being really awkward around domestic house compared to my weight weigh vac - I've gone on checkatrade recently for just gutter cleaning as can charge £100+ per job so worth travelling out unlike a £20 window clean, it has gone made got 10+ jobs in a week so thinking about getting another vac and hiring a lad as I can't get round to do both gutters and windows - that atom sky vac looks just right size for my van. Let me know bump once you have done a few more jobs if it's any good

nick666

Don' know whether this helps but I tell the client -"we will get it 85-90% clean-you don't want to eat your dinner off it -to get it 100% would cost 5 times as much"-by the time I have said "eat your dinner" they are nodding in agreement with me and ignoring rest of statement "Probably like you now lol.If you google gutter cleaning -there is a chinese american showing how he does his own from the ground with a coat hanger and large pole or something .It looks crap if you are charging £100 but combined with vacuum,set of ladders-used or not -it gets the job done.

Guest MrBump

That ebay skyvac went for £1820! :eek:

Jimroot

I don't think the kit is the issue, it's getting the jobs. I haven't got the last six I've quoted on now :(

Guest MrBump

Hard luck Jimroot, the positive is that your getting the quotes in! Maybe try taking a few photos of your kit in action and explain it gets hoovered out so no ladders on gutters etc. Getting the quotes in is the hard bit, then you can adjust prices, sales etc to see what works for you.

Although saying that my advice means diddly lol, I have lost my last 2 quoted and got 4, but all 4 were wc custies already and the 2 I didn't get were one-offs. One I guess got a cheaper quote, quoted £60 for a bungalow. The other asked for a quote, as I did it by email I said £30 per side or £100 for the lot (detached house), he then said ok its just the one gutter that needs doing. I said I have a £50 minimum (which I do and he knew) an never heard from him again lol. By the time you've set up, got ready, cleaned them out, cleared up etc can't they just have the whole lot done damnit, I'm not doing just one side or one bit, its all or nothing :P

Jimroot

I don't think I'm being beaten on price. I also usually explain my method. They do tend to think if it's 'just one bit' they want done it should be 'dirt' cheap to do it. I get a few saying they only want the tops windows doing but what a nonsense it is when the big hassle as you say is the other stuff, not the actual time on the actual location... As it would be for them too, getting their kit together etc. it's part of the job they like to think doesn't exist within the quote

Tuffers

And the nil feedback fella bidded up to £1800. Hmm.......

Diwrnach

I was gutter hovering in the high street of Bourton on Friday, half expected to hear a shout from @Tuffers to come and help, was loads of bikes about.

Tuffers
I was gutter hovering in the high street of Bourton on Friday, half expected to hear a shout from @Tuffers to come and help, was loads of bikes about.

I was supping Singha Beer at Silverstone on Friday :cheers:. I do visit Bourton on the water now and then on the bike. That chippy opposite the toilets do nice chips :thumbs:

Diwrnach

I was working on the large house just up from there, 1 the high street, opposite the church.

Trev81

That seems a bit suspect, the vac was not the latest version and did it not have the wirepless camera and inspection pole either? Off top of my head I only paid £2,400 inc VAT for a new industrial SkyVac, 40ft of carbon poles (8 sections) but blagged a extra one so have 9. A wireless camera and monitor and a 46 ft inspection pole. Seems alot for a second hand sucker.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.