Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to use Hypo?

Bernard

I've never used the stuff before so I'm just trying to work out how to go about it.

What I think I know... You can buy it in 20-25 litre drums at 14/15%. You mix that stuff 1:1 lay it down 15-20 minutes but don't let it dry.

What I'm wondering is how much coverage can you get with a 25 litre drum?

I've read on this forum people are just mixing it in a bucket and pouring it out. I thought a watering can may be more efficient. I've just poured 10 litres of water on my drive to see how much coverage I'd get and it went nowhere. It covered maybe 5m x 3m max. Are people using multiple full drums of this stuff on decent sized areas?

I've never used the stuff before so I'm just trying to work out how to go about it.
What I think I know... You can buy it in 20-25 litre drums at 14/15%. You mix that stuff 1:1 lay it down 15-20 minutes but don't let it dry.

I've read on this forum people are just mixing it in a bucket and pouring it out. I thought a watering can may be more efficient. I've just poured 10 litres of water on my drive to see how much coverage I'd get and it went nowhere. It covered maybe 5m x 3m max. Are people using multiple full drums of this stuff on decent sized areas?
Put it in a sprayer or just dip broom in it and brush it over

Bernard it all depends on the surface and how dirty it is

I certainly wouldn't reccomend I 1-1 mix it's potent

As for applying it we use ik sprayers and Gloria sprayers for the more concentrated mixes both have viton seals resistant to hypo

You get a nice even coat with a sprayer with a watering can it's hard to achieve this and most of the hypo ends up down the joints etc where as with the sprayer it sits on the surface

Wet the area first as well spray leave twenty min and rinse and repeat if nessary little and often

I've seen people's drives ruined by people using to strong mix on hot days and it actually turning the paving orange when it dries out

Il post a pic off a concrete drive we cleaned using hypo mixed at 10-1 even at that mix it still has seriously strong cleaning and weed killing capabilty

Bernard it all depends on the surface and how dirty it isI certainly wouldn't reccomend I 1-1 mix it's potent

As for applying it we use ik sprayers and Gloria sprayers for the more concentrated mixes both have viton seals resistant to hypo

You get a nice even coat with a sprayer with a watering can it's hard to achieve this and most of the hypo ends up down the joints etc where as with the sprayer it sits on the surface

Wet the area first as well spray leave twenty min and rinse and repeat if nessary little and often

I've seen people's drives ruined by people using to strong mix on hot days and it actually turning the paving orange when it dries out

Il post a pic off a concrete drive we cleaned using hypo mixed at 10-1 even at that mix it still has seriously strong cleaning and weed killing capabilty
Excellent thank you! I'm just looking at those IK and Gloria sprayers. Is there any difference between the two?

Excellent thank you! I'm just looking at those IK and Gloria sprayers. Is there any difference between the two?
The ik sprayers are ideal for hypo the viton seals are chemical resistant

The Gloria sprayer are all metal including internals and great for sealant as well if you seal drives

A normal sprayer dosent last at all the hypo corrodes the seals so air seeps out and the sealant glues the internal on them up making them impossible to use

Ben Marriott on here does some good sprayers and nos he's stuff he owns Rutland pumps

The ik sprayers are ideal for hypo the viton seals are chemical resistantThe Gloria sprayer are all metal including internals and great for sealant as well if you seal drives

A normal sprayer dosent last at all the hypo corrodes the seals so air seeps out and the sealant glues the internal on them up making them impossible to use

Ben Marriott on here does some good sprayers and nos he's stuff he owns Rutland pumps
If I sprayed my block paving garden path with hypo being careful not to get any on the grass either side. When it comes to pressure washing it off, should there be any concern about it reaching the grass?

When you pressure wash the hypo it almost froths up

I always wet the surrounding shrubs grass etc then rinse down with a rinsing lance on low pressure if you blast it with the turbo nozzle it will spray it everywhere

Once the hypo is ready to rinse off which you can tell when the surface muck starts separating just rinse it down then your ready to blast away

I've been using tfr with a brush and a pressure washer on some glass bus shelters I've got to clean and it's not been quite strong enough in my mind on some of the dirt as they haven't been cleaned in a few years, would this hypo be worth a try or is it a No no on glass metal etc?

I've been using tfr with a brush and a pressure washer on some glass bus shelters I've got to clean and it's not been quite strong enough in my mind on some of the dirt as they haven't been cleaned in a few years, would this hypo be worth a try or is it a No no on glass metal etc?
From my experience it shouldn't be problem provided it is washed off afterwards. It seems to me that it makes things rust faster if not washed off. - Just checked this and it is an oxidizing agent so will make stuff rust faster if its left sitting on a metal surface.

I came across Hypo in my local farm shop today, £12 for 20 liters!! Seems pretty damned cheap to me for a good driveway cleaner.

Question to those in the know: on a lightly / medium soiled brick patio could you use Hypo at say 10/1 (or what would you suggest) and when time to remove is a pressure washer essential or would a garden hose with attitude suffice?

I came across Hypo in my local farm shop today, £12 for 20 liters!! Seems pretty damned cheap to me for a good driveway cleaner.
Question to those in the know: on a lightly / medium soiled brick patio could you use Hypo at say 10/1 (or what would you suggest) and when time to remove is a pressure washer essential or would a garden hose with attitude suffice?
It depends what % you start off with. It should be marked on the drum/ barrel what ever you want to call it. I start with 10-11% and aim for 7-8% (2 parts Hypo 1 part water approx) for most jobs and it works fine. If there are some really tough black lichen spots on an Indian sandstone patio I will spray it on neat.

to give you an idea the thin bleach you get from the supermarket is "below 5%" which in reality is closer to 3% most of the time from what my google searching tells me.

Got a job with a lot of black marks on it, what is the full name of this hypo stuff and wheres the best place to order it please?

Got a job with a lot of black marks on it, what is the full name of this hypo stuff and wheres the best place to order it please?
The black marks will be lichens

Go to your local farmers supplie I pay now 11.00 for 20 litre

It's best applied neat to lichens

So what do they use it for then? QUestions questions.
They use it for cleaning out the milk lines

I get mine off a diary farmer who's windows I clean but he didn't have any this weekend so got it from local farming supplies it's dirt cheap compared to Internet mate

They use it for cleaning out the milk linesI get mine off a diary farmer who's windows I clean but he didn't have any this weekend so got it from local farming supplies it's dirt cheap compared to Internet mate
Excellent. Its pretty agricultural around here so should be easy enough to come across. Thanks for the help mate.

Back