Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbies here...disappointing start at canvassing advice please

Rob and Emma

Hi there everyone

Thank you in advance for advice and tips, just come across this forum and was hoping for a little advice and some tips please

Started canvassing yesterday, did a 2 hour and later on did a 1 and a half hour (2 areas, 2 different rounds) I got a good response I think with 4 definite and 4 maybes on round 1 and on round 2 got 3 definite and 1 maybe

However I went out today to start on rounds 3 and 4 did a couple of hours each area but only got 1 definite and 4 maybes on round 3 and 1 definite and 3 maybes on round 4...does this sound right ??

Thank you

you sound like you are not doing to bad, you have good days canvassing then you may have a real pig of a day, 1 customer is better than no customer.

Only two things are guaranteed in life, death and taxes, everything else is a gamble.

Canvassing is a delicate game, some days you will go out and come across as humble and personable, the next day after a good session you may come across as a little cocky and arrogant and this is all without even realizing it.

Try to revise how you were on day one when results were good and try to take the positives from that.

It is swings and roundabouts all the way, I have had days where I have had total blanks and then on my best afternoon come home with 21 new clients.

It will all come good with persistence.

Hi guys thanks for your reply

I've done/said same days 1 and 2, got some tips from Internet about what to say and have been leaving a couple of leaflets if no answer with the round date on there may get a couple of responses from the ones with dirty windows lol

Also do you guys use microfibre cloths when they are brand new or something else?

Thanks again

the people that say they will get back to you invariably don't,

by all means leave a leaflet but they invariably leads to nothing.

also yes I use microfiber cloths to detail glass new or old, I clean mine regular.

you may also want sill cloths to clean frames and wipe sills down I wouldn't advise doing this with microfiber lol.

just keep knocking!

you want lots of these View attachment 5381

It's up and down ..different day different outcome

Just have to see it as every yes is an annual payrise jot just a 10 quid job

Sill cloths okay will do, thank you for that will get some of those. A couple of the customers said their previous window cleaner never did the Frames or sills I get nervous when they say that I hope they are satisfied with our cleans !

I knew leaflet drop wouldn't bring much in but for the maybes I just put their quote and the round date on there, we start a week tomorrow so trying to build up as many as we can before then /emoticons/smile.png

whatever effort you had in mind for canvassing , you need to treble it [ at the very least] .

a good way to approach it is imagine that your life depended on it, you MUST plough on till you are footsore . if you go home and your feet are not humming like Roquefort cheese ,well youre not giving it enough effort

no jest

yeh, you gotta do the frames in this day and age the customers love it,

you are obviously are not going to clean a 3 bed semi (frames, glass and sills) for £5.

As for leaflets some of my highest priced customers come from leaflet drops,

They also seem more loyal and keen as they are contacting you.

I picked up 2 dead keen high priced customers this weekend from leaflets

so they do work.

I was also wondering how many people come into younger jobs when your actually out window cleaning as well? Is it as many as canvassing? My idea is once the jobs are done on that round stay in the area and canvass from where I've left off

Canvassing is a delicate game, some days you will go out and come across as humble and personable, the next day after a good session you may come across as a little cocky and arrogant and this is all without even realizing it.
This is so true. I don't do canvassing, but even just when I meet new potential customers to quote I find it happens.

Feet are definitely killing me lol I will have a sound sleep tonight but am definitely ready for tomorrow thanks to you guys on here giving me a boost and seems my numbers are not too low I am dreading doing a full day and getting none though /emoticons/sad.png just because I have 16-20 rounds to 'create' and start in 8 days! Will be canvassing on the working days though obviously /emoticons/smile.png

you want to canvass and constantly market your business when ever you can.

compact your round by regularly leafleting the area you cover.

I have found the best times to canvass is between 4.30-7.30pm when most people are in.

you want to canvass and constantly market your business when ever you can.compact your round by regularly leafleting the area you cover.

I have found the best times to canvass is between 4.30-7.30pm when most people are in.
Went out yesterday morning 11.30 til 2ish then again at about 3.30 til 5ish

Today 11-2 then 3 til 5.30 ish

Will be doing tomorrow afternoon in the 'unemployed' areas and then the evening from 5.30pm when all kids are settled lol

Leaflets work well for me

Leaflet in spare time during the day (not that i have any spare time nowadays )

Leaflet surrounding houses of any new jobs while there

Canvass in evenings when school run is done

Facebook daily

Fingers in lots of pies is what you need

sounds like you are doing it right if your feet are humming yet youre still game for round 2

its all a numbers game. you most likely know already that if you knocked on a million doors youd have at least a 1000 customers , guaranteed - keep that at the back of your mind

Hi Rob and Emma, and welcome to mad house.

I have a little advise in that I starte from scratch and canvassed all my custies, I wouldn't advise canvassing after cleaning as you may not be in the right frame of mind after cleaning all morn/day you want to be fresh when you go out and meet your new potentials!

Also and more important don't panic, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will 16 rounds!

What you want to do is build your rounds each week, so you make all your rounds to start with on the wed, thur and fri, don't matter if you have only 2 custies to clean, what you then do is mon and tues that week u canvas to build those rounds and you can say you already have a round in their area this wed so I can fit you in to that it is a nice way to end you pitch.

I didn't just do this way I canvases mon clean tues canvases wed clean thur and so on will I had enough rounds.

Anyway best of luck and hope I helped in some way :thumbsup:

If you're not cleaning you need to be leafletting/canvassing

If you're worried about frame of mind then leaflet after cleaning

Why put it off till next day when you have free time today?

The quickest way to build up is to be constantly pro active in getting work

Definately think I've got a descent enough sales pitch and smiling and sorry to disturb them etc and our motivation is feeding our 3 kids lol so I do give it my all

In for an early night tonight so will report back in the coming week and hopefully I can get some descent numbers in the book /emoticons/smile.png

Canvassing on days where not many customers in especially over next couple of months anyway! I'll have a rest when I'm really not in the right frame of mind lol

Thanks again everyone

One thing ive started doing is leafletting and only knocking dirty ones, this means i dont have to get a lot of no`s and also means i dont have to canvass as much as i hate it.

Also i now do half an hour to an hour of this everytime i am out window cleaning (i dont windows clean everyday) and it has started picking up the odd custy.

I find by doing it this way it just becomes part of the job and not seen as a chore so much and works for me, it has taken me a while to find something that works as ive had a lot of stress over it since starting. I also fb every evening posting to about 50 sites, thats slow also but good for the odd custy.

But then your needs differ form mine, im happy picking up 1 or 2 custies every few weeks whera it seems you are more desperate.

Back