Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Running an electric van

Extremecleansussex

I've been running a Nissan e-NV200 electric van for about six weeks now and I'm hugely impressed.

2391e91e4e05ecfb59acc45a04da9ef1.jpg

Previously I was running a Trafic with a 600l Ionic pro 6 system fitted but that was way above the payload of the Nissan so I couldn't just transfer the system over.

Instead, I bought a 400l tank for the van and two 500l tanks which I've put in the top of my garage.

I then built a framework and transferred all my filters into the garage so now have 1000l ready to transfer to the van at any time. Being in the top of the garage, it's all gone by gravity so no electrics required.

A pump, controller and battery later and I was ready to roll. I estimate that I'm about 600-620kg when I set off so could probably have a slightly larger tank if necessary but I can't see it being so.

A full charge of the batteries gives me a 65 mile range and my longest round is 55 miles so I've a bit to spare. There are charge points available on my long rounds should I ever need a top up. 30 minutes will give me about 35 miles more range.

The van is really nice to drive and so much cheaper than the Trafic in every way. I used to spend around Ā£250 per month on diesel, last month I used Ā£20 in electric.

Has anyone else thought about going electric or am I the only one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The range would probably kill it for me, and no charge points anywhere around here, I live in the sticks, living in a big town or city though I can see it being a really good idea.

Looks great for local compact rounds,

I would be concerned that it would seriously handicap my work potential though, if a great job came up in a neighbouring town, and it was 30odd miles each way, id have to turn it down, which wouldn't be beneficial for business...

I've got some work in Ipswich, a large block of flats, and I wouldn't be able to do it without my big smelly toxic diesel fuming van...

But it looks good for very local rounds...

I weighed up the pros and cons and it certainly wouldn't work for everyone but it's great for me.

I I've in rural East Sussex and certainly don't consider some of my rounds to be compact but with a little planning, I can make all my rounds fit within the range of the van.

You'd also be surprised at just how many chargers there are scattered about for the odd occasion you'd need to use one.

I also clean a medical centre with a rapid charger and can fully recharge the van whilst cleaning!

I'm in the Cotswolds, its only range Rovers and Bentleys /emoticons/tongue.png
That was what I thought until I analysed my actual mileage on a daily basis.

Had I known that an update with a 25% larger battery would be available soon then I'd probably have waited for that. By the time I come to change this one though, they'll probably have at least double the range that they have now.

Do you find yourself making brum, brum sounds? lol

Honestly though my biggest fear of these things is running people over, I had an original first year full power Hayabusa (before they dicked about and tamed them) but it had this exhaust that made the thing almost silent, used to call it my stealth bike, I must have nearly ran 20 people over before I changed the exhaust, people just stepped out in front of me in town not hearing me, also cars never knew I was behind them so when you overtook always had a mad swerve as it made them jump when you went past.

When you're on the road or in traffic there's no problem with pedestrians.

In quiet streets or car parks you just have to be vigilant and expect people not to know you're there.

Pigeons are the worst though, they just don't get out of the way; much like that seagull that Ianone hit on Sunday!

I do about 9000 miles a year and put in Ā£50-Ā£60 of diesel each week. I'm probably exaggerating a bit now diesel is cheaper but I was spending at least Ā£200 a month.

I have a good round but there's lots of stop/start involved and the van has done 175,000 miles.

The new van is nice; thanks.

I own the batteries so don't have to pay any rental.

There's a five year warranty on the batteries and there are companies that will supply and fit fully refurbished battery packs for far less than Nissan would charge so I've no worries on that score.

You can but vans on "flex" where you rent the batteries but I personally didn't want to go down that route.

If you're leading the van or using a PCP and intend changing the vehicle every two or three years then the flex option could work out cheaper.

Thanks for that info, ive contemplated going down the electric vehicle route before, but it was always the battery rental part that put me off, good too know

Sent from my ST26i using Window Cleaning Forums

For me it's mileage. Aleays has been with electric vans.

Live in Nottingham but have clients in Birmingham and London. On those days i set out at 5am to beat all the traffic, last thing i could stand is waiting in a car park for 30 minutes to recharge at 6am.

Ethics is sound but until they have the range of my diesel tank then its not for me i'm afraid.

Also these electric vans should be massively discounted under some gov green iniciative or something so all us white van men could get one tomorrow if we choose.

Range is a problem for distance work which is why I have a diesel car to visit family in Nottingham and Manchester. Until I can afford a Tesla that is!

My van is only used for work which is all fairly local.

Extreme Clean,
Do you still have your Electric Van??
I'm seriously considering the Nissan E-NV200 as a replacement for my 10 year old Transit which now struggles to get through the emissions check at MOT.
The latest Nissan has much better endurance, my maximum drive distance on my round in a day is 75 miles and I'd be fitting a 350 litreĀ Ā tank....currently have a 500 litre 1st generation X-Line system.

Extreme Clean,
Do you still have your Electric Van??
I'm seriously considering the Nissan E-NV200 as a replacement for my 10 year old Transit which now struggles to get through the emissions check at MOT.
The latest Nissan has much better endurance, my maximum drive distance on my round in a day is 75 miles and I'd be fitting a 350 litreĀ Ā tank....currently have a 500 litre 1st generation X-Line system.
I Had the older model, best thing since sliced bread if your range allows it. 20 quid a week on electric I used , was less in the summer with my solar panels. It was hard on tyres. I never used the heating either because it was hard on the battery. I needed a bigger tank and an extra seat or I would still of had itĀ 

I've been running a Nissan e-NV200 electric van for about six weeks now and I'm hugely impressed.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/19/2391e91e4e05ecfb59acc45a04da9ef1.jpg

Previously I was running a Trafic with a 600l Ionic pro 6 system fitted but that was way above the payload of the Nissan so I couldn't just transfer the system over.

Instead, I bought a 400l tank for the van and two 500l tanks which I've put in the top of my garage.

I then built a framework and transferred all my filters into the garage so now have 1000l ready to transfer to the van at any time. Being in the top of the garage, it's all gone by gravity so no electrics required.

A pump, controller and battery later and I was ready to roll. I estimate that I'm about 600-620kg when I set off so could probably have a slightly larger tank if necessary but I can't see it being so.

A full charge of the batteries gives me a 65 mile range and my longest round is 55 miles so I've a bit to spare. There are charge points available on my long rounds should I ever need a top up. 30 minutes will give me about 35 miles more range.

The van is really nice to drive and so much cheaper than the Trafic in every way. I used to spend around Ā£250 per month on diesel, last month I used Ā£20 in electric.

Has anyone else thought about going electric or am I the only one?

I'll stick with my dirty dieselĀ 

Back