Sign in to follow this  
nearlyclean

Resin changing time

nearlyclean

I use DI vessel to make my water pure,This week my TDS is at about 004 ppm not really high and you could carry on cleaning windows.

Went and got a bag of Tulsion 115 resin and over the weekend going to replace the resin and start the week off with 000 ppm :D

I let you know how I get on and take some photos

And no I am not going to spread the old resin on my flower beds LOL being oil based its better to send it to landfill

Hinty

Don't throw your old resin away just yet - stick it in a bag somewhere.

Reason why: -

It is possible to regenerate your old resin, and use it again.

I have got all the bits together, but haven't got round to doing it yet - one of my to do jobs.

Hopefully will make a vid early June.

In the meantime, this link gives most of the info needed:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-09/nftt/index.php

They refer to Muriatic acid, this is also known as hydrochloric acid, and is available from a lot of small diy/ironmongers who sell Spirits of salt - also pretty much the same thing - just slightly diluted.

nearlyclean

I saw a link to regenerating old resin a few months ago but didn't like the idea of messing about with chems and I only have to change about 6 months

Also I think that is the difference between virgin bead resin and the cheaper stuff.

Hinty

Fair comment - I know it doesn't last as long, but it can be regenerated several times.

I suppose the old question about how many windows could I have cleaned while messing about with chemicals does come to mind - I think I just like to tinker & have little projectson the go.

nearlyclean

Nothing wrong with that,if you can recycle resin that is good and if I had a few operatives working and having to change resin regular I would be regenerating the stuff too to save me money.

Gav

Is tulsion really the best resin? only reason i ask is i have it and change my DI every two months and am not using that much water although my system is di only

nearlyclean

I use the 115 which I think is the best,Have you tried running through 2 DI the first as a pre-filter second to polish this will make the resin last longer.

nearlyclean

And it is only lasting a couple of months,let it go to about 010 ppm or even higher and you will get a little more time out of it and it wont make much difference for one clean

Gav

Ye i usually let it go to 10-15 and have no probs i have cleaned at 50 with still no probs but don't like to really. Just seemed a lot of changing when i don't use that much water

Guest sweetercleanz

whats the ppm of your tap water? mine is about 285. resin did 2 months probably about 1800 litres and that was anout 17kg of tulsion.. wooo dont think i mad much of a profit with cost like that on top of diesel... shud have bought a diesel smart car... really need a ro unit... i was wondering peeps ***uld it be a problem as i have nowhere to store a tank for ro and cant leave van anywhere near my property so would it be a problem if an ro unit was running in the van recirculating the water in the tank??? would that work or cause any problems???

nearlyclean

whats the ppm of your tap water? mine is about 285. resin did 2 months probably about 1800 litres and that was anout 17kg of tulsion.. wooo dont think i mad much of a profit with cost like that on top of diesel... shud have bought a diesel smart car... really need a ro unit... i was wondering peeps ***uld it be a problem as i have nowhere to store a tank for ro and cant leave van anywhere near my property so would it be a problem if an ro unit was running in the van recirculating the water in the tank??? would that work or cause any problems???

I think you would be better off with a merlin R/O but you get loads of waste with 285 ppm

My Tap water is about 80-90

What size DI are you using? Larger vessel will help you resin last longer and slower water pressure will help 11 L or 25 L http://www.surecleansystems.com/proddetail.asp?prod=185

Guest sweetercleanz

didnt realise less pressure would help :) i have 2 di vessels, one is roughly 11l and other is approx 15l inline. to fill up a 250 litre tank with merlin ro would take 1hr 40 min to fill which should be fine but how much waste would that create roughly? (this is the problem with living in an upstairs flat..)

would recirculating ro in tank not really be any good?

Gav

Yes that is why I wanted do only as you have loads of waist water and our tap is only 80-90

I have two di vessels think they are 6.5L each.

Maybe time to get bigger ones.

Never thought about pressure I can usually fill my 300L tank in half hour via both vessels

nearlyclean

obviously takes longer to fill up but the resin doesn't have to work as hard,I give them a good shake every week to expel any channels that may form in the resin.

Guest window washer

Could you not set up a static ro system at a relatives? If your water is 285ppm then it must cost quite a lot in resin. My water is 485 (South East is on the legal limit) so I use a 40/40 membrane and two pre-filters and therefore the resin only has to filter the final 5%.

Another trick is when the resin allows your water to get to say 5ppm hold the vessel by the lugs (being careful not to break it) and flip it upside down and back again around a dozen times to disturb the resin. You shoudl get another 3/ 4 days out of it.

You could just add a couple of pre filters which would filter out quite a bit and they would not cost very much.