Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

ro system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

garyboy

hi guys

This is my first post but i have been reading your posts for the past few weeks some good topics and plenty of banter going on. Well i am just starting out and been gathering alot of info from this site i have a td reading around the 350 mark so need to go down the RO route i am setting up in the shed but before i purchase anything i wanted your expert opinions what is a good reputable make of ro system that will produce 500 litres a day, day in day out with easy access to spares online many thanks gary

welcome to the forum mate.

I'd go 4040 all the way. filters to high quality (subject to pressure, prob need booster pump), and can filter 200-350 an hour realistically. I wouldn't mess around with cheaper units myself, these waSte less water and can get water filtered quickly and job done. esp good if filters in van and want to get done quick. there are cheaper membranes but IMO worth the money.

June at gaps water - top service and helpful throughout.

welcome to the forum mate.

I'd go 4040 all the way. filters to high quality (subject to pressure, prob need booster pump), and can filter 200-350 an hour realistically. I wouldn't mess around with cheaper units myself, these waSte less water and can get water filtered quickly and job done. esp good if filters in van and want to get done quick. there are cheaper membranes but IMO worth the money.

June at gaps water - top service and helpful throughout.
Hey pal, I have an ro which wastes what must be at least 60% of the water, and takes around 4hours to fill 100litres.

I am wanting to fit an ro in my van and 200litres an hour would be more than ideal.

Could you explain more about what to do, how did you get your ro system etc?

Hope someone can explain what 40/40 is all about and the wastage issue?

I was looking at systems 100/200Ltrs supplied by RO-Man ?

I have a HF4 4040 installed. Which is a more industrial / commercial ultra low pressure membrane. Like here http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/RO_system_spare_parts.html. These units will produce more water with less waste at a lower pressure. However, will work better if you have higher pressure. I have a booster pump fitted and run my system at 120 psi which will fill up my tank in an hour. This also helps with the efficiency of the RO & resin, without a booster pump my reading after RO is 55-60 ppm but with its down to 15-20.

Regarding waste, the RO unit is almost like a large sheet of plastic rolled up. This membrane filters the water by only allowing the small molecules and ions through the pores. This water carries on into your DI to have the remaining impurities removed whilst the other waste water is channeled through a waste pipe into the drain. I hope this helps a little. J

yep, what the little geezer above said! unless you live at the bottom of a hill, your mains pressure isn't very high (unless your lucky(

I have the hf5 membrane, still 4040, but supposed to help with lower pressure. still need booster pump. mason, I suspect that's why yours is painfully slow. that or your wasting too much water.

waste, ideally set to 60-75% waste, to 25-40% pure. there is a valve that you open or close to control this pure to waste ratio. and as the little fella said above, with booster will usually speed up immensely, and lower tds with pure.

sorry.....it's what your wife refers to you as, whoops.

sorry big man! /emoticons/biggrin.png
It's normally a lot worse than that!!!! /emoticons/biggrin.png

So, can someone show me, if I were to start from scratch, how to put together a great ro system I could install in my van, that would filter maybe, 100-200litres minimum an hour?

Thanksly greatly appreciated.

don't know bout a "great" 'RO system.......!

I can show you pix of mine, which I bought from gaps water, and set up myself (with uncles help who also a wfp'er).

isn't hard if yet know what goes where.

Its very simple, you have normally 2 prefilters, a sediment and a carbon filter, the water then goes up into your RO, whether that is a 4040 as in mine, or a lesser one, whichever.

The pure water is the water that comes out of the end of the canister, this is the water that has made it through the membrane, and is the "pure" water. The water that comes out of the bottom of the cannister is the waste, which is higher in impurities, this goes out and down the drain.

14042010612.jpg

I have other pictures of it, but this is the simplest. I had 2 holes drilled in the bottom of the van for the inlet/outlet hoses, so the van could be locked while filling up. Once the water is filtered it goes into the storage tank, then afterwards it goes out to the pump(s) and into the DI resin canister(s) which brings the tds to 000. Then down the hose reel, up the pole, and all over the windows /emoticons/wink.png

Back