Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

is my car suitable to use ?

nathan henry

hi all,

I currently have a vauxhall insignia on car finance.

i am wanting to start up as a window cleaner full time.

would my car be ok to use if i got a roof rack fitted?

might be a silly question, do you have to carry your own water?

I'm planning on starting the ball rolling whilst in my current job i.e advertising and actually washing windows. Im planning on doing this until i feel i can work full time window cleaning.

is this a good idea?

thanks for your help in advance guys.

Nathan

hi all,

I'm planning on starting the ball rolling whilst in my current job i.e advertising and actually washing windows. Im planning on doing this until i feel i can work full time window cleaning.

is this a good idea?

Nathan
Welcome Nathan, of course you can use a car with ladders on the roof. Get a 25 litre barrel to carry your water with you. You will need business insurance for your car.

Before I got my WFP gear I just kept one 25 litre drum in my van and a 500ml Plastic bottle on my belt. I occasionally top the bottle up from customers garden taps during the day. I only ever used the water in the drum if I needed to fill my bucket up for a first clean. I was surprised how little water I actually need most of the time.

Plenty of window cleaners just do it from their cars, I started with an Astra. In fact I would bet that 80% of cars with ladders on their roofs are window cleaners. You'd be surprised how many of us are out there.

Use my Astra for the Windows mate, ladders on top several containers of water, and everything I need inside. Cleaned out every day I use it for that as can get a bit whiffy inside. I just fold one side of the seats down. Plenty of room in that so should be more than enough in the insignia. Like others have said you need business insurance but mine was only an extra £2 a month.

I agree, I only started to see window cleaners when I became one, cars with V ladders are what I see most, many round by me cleaning 4 bed houses for £4 a pop. I'm waiting for them to all retire! lol

I used several different cars over the last 15 years. No problem.

One thing I did use and still do in the van is a plastic storage box to stand the bucket in.

Also watch out lifting the boot lid with the ladders on .A bit of care and your car will stay looking good.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

hi all,

is this a good idea?

Nathan
12227752_1625003011095026_1755675262936717383_n.jpg

With the ladders on etc. that car might get a bit dinged. I'd trade in for a work horse car like a mondeo estate

with a insigna you dont run out of space anytime soon so no worries, fyi my own work car is a citigo and i have loads of space for trad and backpack wfp.

Back