Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help pls, i need advice from someone who does commercial jobs

davewindowcleaner

I have been asked if i'm interested in doing a one off commercial job (inside and outside windows) and see how we go. It could also lead me to more commercial work if it goes well.

Bear in mind i am a one man band, I had a look at this big office, there seem to be building work going inside, I am confident I can clean most windows but there is one massive window I think I will find difficult.

I have uploaded a picture below the window i talking about.

I can the outside massive window with wfp but it the inside I worried about,

1) I don't have a pole that big to clean the inside massive window

2) I will need to buy a wagtail (not sure which one)

3) there don't seem to be a lot of space to clean the inside because of the massive screen inside the building as you can see in the picture.

I thinking of removing the brush from my water fed pole and use that to clean the inside and stick the wagtail & t bar on the pole to clean the inside windows.

What u think?

View attachment 5825

Just do your best with a wagtail mate, that's all you can do, unless you take ladders inside with you?

I have been asked if i'm interested in doing a one off commercial job (inside and outside windows) and see how we go. It could also lead me to more commercial work if it goes well.
Bear in mind i am a one man band, I had a look at this big office, there seem to be building work going inside, I am confident I can clean most windows but there is one massive window I think I will find difficult.

I have uploaded a picture below the window i talking about.

I can the outside massive window with wfp but it the inside I worried about,

1) I don't have a pole that big to clean the inside massive window

2) I will need to buy a wagtail (not sure which one)

3) there don't seem to be a lot of space to clean the inside because of the massive screen inside the building as you can see in the picture.

I thinking of removing the brush from my water fed pole and use that to clean the inside and stick the wagtail & t bar on the pole to clean the inside windows.

What u think?
Rent a small scaffold systems and add it to the price of the job for the best result

If you aren't comfortable doing it then rather not quote it. I wouldn't jump at the opportunity of trying to clean that window at height between that screen unless it can be reached from the side.

Can they move the screen out of the way?

Will your insurance cover the cost of any damage? Even if it did, what about the excess you would have to pay on an insurance claim? Ours is £350.

Personally, I would decline to quote as the risks are too great for a one off; for me anyway.

Forget the dangling carrot of this opening doors for more commercial work - it never works out that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget the dangling carrot of this opening doors for more commercial work - it never works out that way
Truer words never spoken.

If it were me, 'here's the price for the one off / first cleaning sir. I've also attached a quotation for how much it would be should you decide to hire us again on an ongoing basis'

Never agree to give the regular price as a 'one off / trail' price. The only thing carrots are good for is Cottage pies!

as above , we will have ago at most things and use cheery pickers quite a lot these days but one rule of thump goes for me if you unsure walk away

as above , we will have ago at most things and use cheery pickers quite a lot these days but one rule of thump goes for me if you unsure walk away
Hi dave this first commercial job you have is that window you have to clean inside and out the only window you have to clean

I'm inclined to look at things like this from a different perspective.

I smile when I see something like this.

Some salesman has sold an advertising screen for a large front window visible to the public. The pound signs covered the eyes of the shop owner when he envisaged all that advertising money rolling in. No one gave a thought about how the window would be cleaned regularly so the screen is clearly visible attracting the most attention (apart from the salesman, but he kept quiet.)

Now its fixed in place, the responsibility of cleaning it is given to a window cleaner along with the risk. @afo has asked a valid question. If it is the only window then the owner won't pay what the job is worth, after all, it only a couple of large pieces of glass.

Back