Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

covering all market placeses some will say under cutting

WCF

Help Support WCF:

noddy

been thinking today a lot of trades like hotels you will find a top brand hotel that charges 200/300 a night will own a cheap 50 pounds a night dump down the road so why not in window cleaning do the same ?

, why not start up a new company say called " simply cleaned " driving quality up and prices down ?

two bed at 6 pounds

three beds at 7pounds

+cons 10 pounds ect ect

con roofs at 20 pounds ect ect

run it as a complete different company to the other one and see how it goes ? was just thinking about it today and doing a few sums , its just an idear at the moment maybe I need to get out more lol

They would be finding various body parts of yours in canals and woodlands for years to come if you started pricing like that.

You will more than pi$$ off a few windys. We have (and I now speak for the collective) worked too hard trying to drag window cleaning from the £5 three bed semi dark ages to a fairly paid industry.

If you want to whore yourself out get some lipstick and a dress but leave the undercutting game to the dole dossers and the pi$$ heads looking for beer money!

They would be finding various body parts of yours in canals and woodlands for years to come if you started pricing like that.
You will more than pi$$ off a few windys. We have (and I now speak for the collective) worked too hard trying to drag window cleaning from the £5 three bed semi dark ages to a fairly paid industry.

If you want to whore yourself out get some lipstick and a dress but leave the undercutting game to the dole dossers and the pi$$ heads looking for beer money!
What he said,

Noddy, we live and work in the same town, I know most (nearly all) the local windies round here, and they would despise that...

Plus, why charge cheap? Charge high and that drives prices up for us all, you'd end up losing your own 'higher end' business, to your own low end business...

What they said^^^.

And...Listing set prices is not a good strategy in this game IMHO.As an example, when I first started advertising for gutter cleaning I had leaflets made up saying gutters cleared for £40 for average 3 bed, or words to that effect. What I got was just about every tw@t in a 3 bed mansion calling me up wanting thier gutters cleared. Even when I would check thier house out and say "sorry, but it'll be more like £80", it was extreemly hard to negotiate up from the low price they had seen. I would end up wasting a lot of time. Instead, now I just advertise what it is I do. So if someone wants thier gutters cleaned....they call me. Much easier to build up raport when you can explain why you are charging what you are charging, and they have no preconceptions of how much it should cost.

guys I am just putting it out there for a idear , I didn't say it was agood one but its been eat away at me to do this for a few weeks ,

would it work ? maybe head closer to London and do it away from my area ? ect ect

its good to get people views on it and debate it I was well up for it today but as ive read down the replys I can see all points of views and it kind of took the shine off it ,

sometimes you cant see the tree for the forest if you get me

been thinking today a lot of trades like hotels you will find a top brand hotel that charges 200/300 a night will own a cheap 50 pounds a night dump down the road so why not in window cleaning do the same ?
, why not start up a new company say called " simply cleaned " driving quality up and prices down ?

two bed at 6 pounds

three beds at 7pounds

+cons 10 pounds ect ect

con roofs at 20 pounds ect ect

run it as a complete different company to the other one and see how it goes ? was just thinking about it today and doing a few sums , its just an idear at the moment maybe I need to get out more lol
And do just as good a job on the proper priced work? I think you'd resent it, plus it's a bad idea IMO.

Drive prices and quality up, not standards and prices down. They'd start to look for uninsured beer money lads to do it badly and the only winner would be the brewery's

I find I get into a bit of a flow when I clean and the muscle memory makes me do things sort of the same on each window. Think it would be hard to force myself to do a poor standard job (no detailing, frames left covered in cobwebs, cills not wiped etc) in order to make the half priced work pay.

I could not do it.I've worked hard over the years to either up the price on rubbish(low paid)work or get rid and to do a 3 bedroom house for 7 quid would break my heart.how you would make that work is another thing.

guys I am just putting it out there for a idear , I didn't say it was agood one but its been eat away at me to do this for a few weeks ,
would it work ? maybe head closer to London and do it away from my area ? ect ect

its good to get people views on it and debate it I was well up for it today but as ive read down the replys I can see all points of views and it kind of took the shine off it ,

Why closer to London? I wouldn't appreciate it down here either

Maybe trial it on the Isle of Bute then if it pays well roll it out nationwide /emoticons/biggrin.png

I can see what the Op is saying but I think Windows is like dental surgery or building work, there's no room for a slack job, where in coffee shops or estate agency there's room for a striped back economy version

Also Noddy if you start another company - the way you go through water there will be none left for anyone else

Why would you consider such a daft idea? If business is good for you and you hold a good repuation?? Then why jepordise all that by setting up a cheap street window cleaning company that I presume would be a quick glass clean only. More hassle and you would risk been cut up into little bits once your repuation goes down the pan.

As others have said this industry needs driving forwards not backwards! It is nothing at all like a hotel opening a budget room only type place for quick stay overs etc, those type of businesses can of course open these cheaper hotels that actually 'serve' a purpose to many. I find most customers domestic or commercial expect a good standard of work from their window cleaner or you will just be dropped to a better window cleaner, so in my opinion it would just be a waste of time and also another set of accounts to mess about at, that would not be tax saving as you would be deemed to be doing the same work as company 1.

Perhaps water saving would be a better thing to look at :rofl:

was just an idear I had to put out my spear van out and keep my brain working

I was looking at other businesses and there workings and though it would be a good idear to share it , theres more then just one market place in the window cleaning world

super markets like asda, tesgos were saying the same as you lot 10 years ago about the cheap german super markets until they lose loads of market share to them

80% of us are looking for the same work . nobody want the cheaper work , that's a massive market place not getting tapped into as most of us say " leave it to the ladder rats "

Noddy, your idea in its current form sucks, sorry. I made a thread a bit like this a while back, might be worth a read; 3 predictions for the future of window cleaning...

We have a lad around here that offers bronze, silver, gold washes a bit like some car washes do. Bronze being glass only... can't remember how it steps up from there but it was a good idea to suit all budgets, and it allows you to compete with the cheap ones that don't do the frames anyway. Not everyone wants the perfect clean, people hard up for cash that would prefer to pay £8 instead of £10, and then pay an extra fiver every 6 months to give the frames a once over- it fits the budget for them. Its not how I work, but I can see it being good for some people.

Why would you nock your **** out trying to make any money at £6 quid a house. or pay some eastern european nomad next to nout who after a month would ship in his uncles aunties brothers sisters wife and 10 kids to nick all your cheap round off you after you have built it up and do em all at £4.99

I feel that we, as an industry should be valuing what we do at a higher rate. We are professionals in what we do and not everyone can do it. I mean it, not everyone can be a window cleaner. It is hard work, out in all weathers. You need to earn a good reputation and that doesn't happen overnight.

I am not cheap. In fact I am expensive, but my clients get what they pay for. 1st rate job everytime. I have had only one complaint in five years. I never 'appear' to be rushing and always have time for a chat. I go to one job where I allow one hour to clean and another to sit, have coffee and chat about life, and I still do very nicely out it.

I know prices are controlled by how much you can get in the area you work, but in my opinion you should get the highest price you possibly can.

closer to london/ now thats daft daft ,cos the nearer to london the prices RISE . what dyou drive noddy,i will look out for you

closer to london/ now thats daft daft ,cos the nearer to london the prices RISE . what dyou drive noddy,i will look out for you
Should be easy enough to spot./emoticons/biggrin.png

noddy_01_lg.jpg

Back