Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is it pointless canvassing at this time of year?

slippy

Just come back from doing just two crappy jobs today. Other two customers weren't in! Weather was ****! Can't canvass this time of year, as best time is 6-8 week days when everyone is at home, but at this time of year it's too dark and so people get scared. Doing it on Saturdays is not as good as people go out!!! just moaning as **** day!!

Well slippy, I beg to differ, you may decide to take a look a the thread 'Canvassing for expansion' I have been writing.

My girl scored 12 new customers in 4 hours today. Think she's bought in around 25 in the last week, canvassing a couple of hours here and there between 10 & 4 - Never after dark.

But if you have already decided it's a waste of time then just put your feet up watch some Jeremey Kyle for the day and let some other windy scoop up the customers on your patch.

As said in the post above, when canvassing we work between 10 & 4 in the winter.

In the summer you can fit in from 10-8 six plus days a week and if you can manage six to eight weeks of that in the summer you will have one monster round!

Built my round on winter canvassing. It's there for you, go and get it!!!

I suppose one good thing about canvassing in winter is your more likely to keep those customers year round. Their not going to drop you in winter.

As said in the post above, when canvassing we work between 10 & 4 in the winter.
In the summer you can fit in from 10-8 six plus days a week and if you can manage six to eight weeks of that in the summer you will have one monster round!
Thanks Green!

It's probably too early to tell but would you say the girl has better Canvassing potential than you? Or do you think you could do the same or even better than she can if you had the circumstances to do the Canvassing yourself?

I suppose one good thing about canvassing in winter is your more likely to keep those customers year round. Their not going to drop you in winter.
Gotta be careful not to pick up the ones that just want clean windows for the party season though.

Worst time to canvass is now forget it! You'll end up doing xmas cleans at the expense of getting your own work in, if the weather turns nasty you'll lose tips from your regulars.

Thanks Green!
It's probably too early to tell but would you say the girl has better Canvassing potential than you? Or do you think you could do the same or even better than she can if you had the circumstances to do the Canvassing yourself?
I can tell you right now (with all the ego put aside) That there are few as good as I at knocking the doors and signing customer, I will literally pick up double what anyone else canvassing with me will do, I don't know if that's cause I work at it faster so hit more doors but I defo have more than enough experience, my pitch is short and to the point and within 20 seconds I know if it's a potential customer or not. Also if they have minor objections or questions I am the best suited to answer them as I am the one that will do the work.

Worst time to canvass is now forget it! You'll end up doing xmas cleans at the expense of getting your own work in, if the weather turns nasty you'll lose tips from your regulars.
Sorry Poles, have to disagree with you for the most part, there is never a bad time of year to canvass, agreed you will have a few 'one offs' trying it on which is why we always explain the 'one off' price and the regular price and I also tell them if they say regular and change their mind after the first clean it's no problem, we'll just send them the bill for they balance.

I think this time of year (as long as you explain yourself properly) you get few messers, I think we get perhaps 1 in 20-25 but that's any time of year.

We all have the bad days but even if u just get one good customer its still growth so its never a waste of time in my opinion

I can tell you right now (with all the ego put aside) That there are few as good as I at knocking the doors and signing customer, I will literally pick up double what anyone else canvassing with me will do, I don't know if that's cause I work at it faster so hit more doors but I defo have more than enough experience, my pitch is short and to the point and within 20 seconds I know if it's a potential customer or not. Also if they have minor objections or questions I am the best suited to answer them as I am the one that will do the work.

Sorry Poles, have to disagree with you for the most part, there is never a bad time of year to canvass, agreed you will have a few 'one offs' trying it on which is why we always explain the 'one off' price and the regular price and I also tell them if they say regular and change their mind after the first clean it's no problem, we'll just send them the bill for they balance.

I think this time of year (as long as you explain yourself properly) you get few messers, I think we get perhaps 1 in 20-25 but that's any time of year.
Can't imagine many paying that balance, think they'd just laugh it off. Xmas cleans are priced at a premium by me no pay no play.

Can't imagine many paying that balance, think they'd just laugh it off. Xmas cleans are priced at a premium by me no pay no play.
They have it all clearly explained and they also have a letter of introduction (Damo style) and as some recall from previous posts if you owe money I have no problem filing with the small claims court, I will watch them laugh that off. /emoticons/tongue.png

If after I have explained and given a letter of introduction / explanation they still try to pull a fast one I will file a claim without hesitation as the obviously intended to take the pi$$ from the start.

They have it all clearly explained and they also have a letter of introduction (Damo style) and as some recall from previous posts if you owe money I have no problem filing with the small claims court, I will watch them laugh that off. /emoticons/tongue.png
If after I have explained and given a letter of introduction / explanation they still try to pull a fast one I will file a claim without hesitation as the obviously intended to take the pi$$ from the start.
So do they have to sign a declaration that they have to have their windows cleaned regularly?

No mate, they don't have to sign anything, however I think if they bother to turn up to court to challenge a claim, once the judge has it explained to him that they were given a quote for a monthly service as well as a one off clean both verbally on the doorstep and also in an introduction letter they really aren't going to have much of a leg to stand on.

Too many windys on here (a few through PM) worry about 'losing' a case if they file, well worst case is you are out by £25. @Damo and myself have both had successes in the small claims arena.

A few have asked the same question about a 'signed contract' I guess for commercial works you should have one any way but what judge in the country is going to agree that a residential window cleaner should have a signed contract? I reckon 99% of Judges will have a window cleaner that they have nothing but a verbal agreement with and also will have dealt with plenty of small traders in the past that have only had verbal agreements and will see right through the 'customers' bull!

I would rather pay the £25 to file and lose out of principle than never try. At least net time they get a knock on the door they wont be so quick to take the pi$$

If you have no confidence in your canvassing abilities at this time of year then don't go and canvass but certainly don't try to discourage others from building up their rounds mate.

P.P.S.

Sorry I think I may have misinterpreted something @Pickingpaul was saying after he misinterpreted something I said.

In my earlier post I said 'I am best suited to deal with objections.....etc' I think Paul may have read this as then being able to talk the customer round and signing them anyway.

What I actually meant by objections was those comments we all get 'Oh you wont reach the loft dormer' or 'Oh our last window cleaner never did those above the extension roof' etc etc.

What I meant was I am best suited to be able to resolve comments like that by explaining how I would do those windows or if I cant by saying so off the bat, not trying to 'turn' a customer that was obviously objectionable to the idea of a window cleaner from the start. /emoticons/smile.png)

I would never discourage anyone from canvassing I just don't advocate xmas canvassing unless you are desperate? I have had these quote books printed after I got mugged for £30, on the sheet you will see a Line where the customer signs to say they have accepted the quote just in case I have to go and see Judge Rinder?View attachment 5885

Nice touch that @Poles Apart, you can sign them all up happy in the knowledge that they have 'signed' up.

Those books are great, mine aren't for customer to sign but I had some done with my company information that were similar for 'Quotation, Invoice, Receipt' Cost me £7.50 on ebay and are great for those odd jobs I have where I am asked for a quote in writing or a receipt etc.

I got 2 quote books and 1 invoice book in triplicate including design and print for 30 quid from a very good local printer called print people in Birmingham they said they can do me double sided business cards for the price Vista charge for one sided, if you look closely on the quote sheet it states there is a £15 charge if I turn up for a job and I am turned away all of course signed for.:thumbsup:

Latest Posts

Back