slippy

ladder look safe?

slippy

5915ca727376a_ladderongutter.jpg.e52821c45f60d2c3412a5685fdb0121a.jpg

Used my ladder to get up this narrow space between two roofs. I always get worried when I step off or step onto the ladder from roof. Worry it will slide back. It was raining this day so I extended the ankalad stabilizer so it dug into the ground- look ok?

5915ca72676b7_ankalad1.jpg.194c00313b68436fdf7e6f9069094c58.jpg

5915ca726d5c9_ankalad2.jpg.63da8755a5d970362b4c114157e16e40.jpg

Guest boarcity

a while ago , a windie oop north wrote that he had jus bought a new ladder and it came fitted with those rubber swivel feet . prior to this he had ladder spikes on his old ladder . anyhow first day in use the ladder slid out on him. so he unbolted the feet and fitted his spikes which he had used for many years .

moral is -dont trust rubber feet

Dave B

Rubber feet are fine with ankalad as that will prevent backwards slip

However I would make the ankalad as wide as possible with the strap on to prevent it going sideways too

The width of the ladder isn't enough for the ankalad to stop that

rugbywolf
[ATTACH=full]8555[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]8555[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]8556[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]8557[/ATTACH]

Used my ladder to get up this narrow space between two roofs. I always get worried when I step off or step onto the ladder from roof. Worry it will slide back. It was raining this day so I extended the ankalad stabilizer so it dug into the ground- look ok?

If you are going up a ladder and straight on to a roof, you should have the ladder projecting further up over the height of the roof, this will give you something to hold onto when you are crossing, stabilising you.

Guest Solarpanelcleanington

3 rounds above.

slippy
a while ago , a windie oop north wrote that he had jus bought a new ladder and it came fitted with those rubber swivel feet . prior to this he had ladder spikes on his old ladder . anyhow first day in use the ladder slid out on him. so he unbolted the feet and fitted his spikes which he had used for many years .

moral is -dont trust rubber feet

How do you use spikes on concrete? Surely they would only work on grass.

slippy
Rubber feet are fine with ankalad as that will prevent backwards slip

However I would make the ankalad as wide as possible with the strap on to prevent it going sideways too

The width of the ladder isn't enough for the ankalad to stop that

You mean the ankalad even at ladder width if touching the ground, should stop the ladder sliding back?

I couldn't widen it, there were things in the way stopping that.

Guest boarcity
How do you use spikes on concrete? Surely they would only work on grass.

they work very well on concrete . concrete usually has little ridges in the surface and spikes grab these edges

Dave B

It will stop it sliding back but you'll have nowt stopping it going sideways

If working at roofline it's a good idea

slippy
they work very well on concrete . concrete usually has little ridges in the surface and spikes grab these edges

Do u have a link so I can some?

slippy
It will stop it sliding back but you'll have nowt stopping it going sideways

If working at roofline it's a good idea

It was leaning against a the guttering, which had a bracket on it which I guess would stop it sliding left or right. That's my biggest worry, treading on and off the ladder from the roof!

Guest boarcity
Do u have a link so I can some?

this a photo i just took now , of the Hailo brand spikes on my ladder sets . these spikes are about 5 yrs old now

having fallen from a ladder [before i had spikes ] i can really recommend spikes , they dig in/catch on the smallest of crevice [such as between pavers or decking slats ]

the only minor inconvenience with permanently fitted spikes is when the ladder has to be used on a delicate surface such as a felt roof. i throw down a folded scrim to stop the spikes doing damage spikes.jpg.251432fe7d4d462d0eb08406348707b4.jpg

Guest boarcity

this is what they look like before5915ca72d4907_spikes001.jpg.96695ee20165aa73e980df46d7c6b722.jpg fitting . i got mine on Ebay,ladder spikes [of various makes] crop up on ebay every now n then . the very best spikes are a simple strip of hardened steel ,which never wears out, mine are unfortunately not hardened so eventually blunt out