Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is your van worth what you're paying?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Green Pro Clean Ltd

This thread is just for personal opinions not hard core fact.

Now we all know that a used van is only worth whatever you can get for it on the day but what is the true value of a new van?

I will state that I have never yet bought (or leased) a new van I have only ever had the budget (means) to get used equipment.

Now a bit of browsing shows that most small large vans such as Transits, Vivaros, Trrafics in the SWB can be had fully loaded with all the goddies for around £20'000

Over a finance period of 4 years (as long as you get a super good rate) then you are looking at less than £20 per day for a brand new wagon. Not only that but over this period you will most likely come away with free service, free warranty and a few other goodies like free road side assistance etc.

Now at the end of this period you own the van free and clear, you will have some service costs and maintenance expenses but that's true of any vehicle.

At the end of this you own the motor outright, a quick search shows that a 4 year old good nick transit can fetch £6-£7K so you have lost £13K off the purchase. Should you keep it longer, lets say 10 years, you can still get £3K back for it in top nick so it will have ended up costing you £1700 per year over the decade (£141 per month for the life of the van)

Now the lease a new Transit can be had for just £250 per month, you get all the servicing etc thrown in as part of the bargain. You get a new motor every 4 years so your work motor always looks tip top.

Downside, you never actually own the vehicle and most of the contract limit you to 10'000 miles per year.

So to those lads driving swish new vans, do you recommend it, to buy or to lease? Do you think your choice was value for money and why?

I looked at leasing but if you drill holes in it (for tanks etc) then you get heavily penalised when you trade it back. Higher purchase appeared to be best because you do own it. If I went down this route I would trade in as soon as it was paid for. So you would be continually paying to ensure the best trade in price.

At the moment I will continue to use my 15 year old transit, but sooner or later I will have to change it.

I would personally never lease a van

Finance yes but I haven't even done that but would

I always consider keeping one of the newer vans I get but and up selling on

I like to keep it simples less overheads more profit!!!

Customers always think you're earning to much if u pull up in a new van. I always buy a 3 or 4 year old one outright and change it after 3 or so years

Customers always think you're earning to much if u pull up in a new van. I always buy a 3 or 4 year old one outright and change it after 3 or so years
My customers must think I'm absolutely skint :rof:

^^ good post. I'd like a brand spanking new van but I'd wreck it. Another point is how would customers perceive it?
They Will consider you a true professional ! Not just another "one season guy" , sorry for my bad english . :whistle:

Very interesting thread green as I am looking at new vans

But I just seen a tidy old Dispatch for 2k which I think suits me better as I don't look after them

At the end of the day you still earn same money as someone in a flash van

They Will consider you a true professional ! Not just another "one season guy" , sorry for my bad english . :whistle:
Why does having a van make you a true professional?do these new vans clean the windows to??lol

Why does having a van make you a true professional?do these new vans clean the windows to??lol
Well .. If you should hire a regular guy to anything around your House , one guy Got a bumpy old Ford ranger 97 , ( my previous ) and another a clean newer van , who would make the Best impression ? ..

This is a decision I'm currently trying to decide on. I want a van (smallest possible) that I can leave my 2.5 metre ladder in with all the rest of my bits. Got a few options, Nissan NV200, VW Caddy Maxi, Despatch/Partner or LWB Transit Connect. Reason I started looking at new is some of the deals available. Brand new Nissan, 5 year warranty less than 9k plus vat. I've seen ads on Vantrader asking for more money for used stuff.

The best way to buy a new van is either a lease purchase or pcp as all the payments are 100% tax deductible. So as long as your business can afford the payments the tax man is paying for your van.

i got my van new 32 miles on it. costs £75 a week, its over 5 yrs so 1 more year to go, in that time i will of paid a fair bit more than the actual price but i was working out of an asda estate backpacks & 25 ltr cannisters now im cruising lol. in the 4 years i've had it apart from services & mot's i've bought 4 new tyres & 3 wing mirrors no other problems at all -- the wingmirrors are because im a **** driver & even worse at reversing

so yes its been worth every penny

This thread is just for personal opinions not hard core fact.
Now we all know that a used van is only worth whatever you can get for it on the day but what is the true value of a new van?

I will state that I have never yet bought (or leased) a new van I have only ever had the budget (means) to get used equipment.

Now a bit of browsing shows that most small large vans such as Transits, Vivaros, Trrafics in the SWB can be had fully loaded with all the goddies for around £20'000

Over a finance period of 4 years (as long as you get a super good rate) then you are looking at less than £20 per day for a brand new wagon. Not only that but over this period you will most likely come away with free service, free warranty and a few other goodies like free road side assistance etc.

Now at the end of this period you own the van free and clear, you will have some service costs and maintenance expenses but that's true of any vehicle.

At the end of this you own the motor outright, a quick search shows that a 4 year old good nick transit can fetch £6-£7K so you have lost £13K off the purchase. Should you keep it longer, lets say 10 years, you can still get £3K back for it in top nick so it will have ended up costing you £1700 per year over the decade (£141 per month for the life of the van)

Now the lease a new Transit can be had for just £250 per month, you get all the servicing etc thrown in as part of the bargain. You get a new motor every 4 years so your work motor always looks tip top.

Downside, you never actually own the vehicle and most of the contract limit you to 10'000 miles per year.

So to those lads driving swish new vans, do you recommend it, to buy or to lease? Do you think your choice was value for money and why?
What do you mean by all the goodies.

i was going down the route of buying a new crewvan from my local Citroen dealer. but they told me so many lies it got ridiculous "theres a 3 to 6 month waiting list, possibly even longer " i said so why is the crewvan 5k more than the regular van "since the recession the seats are all handmade " in the end i lost confidence and just bought secondhand . i should have listened to a local windie who got a brand new berlingo from said dealer and handed it back to them after only a year of no end of trouble- mainly with getting small niggles fixed the dealer needed it a full day everytime and never fixed stuff properly he lost loads of time , got sick to death of the whole new van experience

Last edited:
My only regret with my van is not buying a newer one sooner.

Absolutely love Working from a modern van. It's makes work very enjoyable.

Well .. If you should hire a regular guy to anything around your House , one guy Got a bumpy old Ford ranger 97 , ( my previous ) and another a clean newer van , who would make the Best impression ? ..
Depends that person driving the new van may look like total scruff!

I totally disagree that a bloke in nice van gives a better impression

It's the whole package and after 20 year in the game I believe if the customer likes you that's all that matters

Me and the lad are both covered in tattoos sleeves chests and back and I'm just having a full leg that means nothing I clean some of the most affluent areas in my county

Depends that person driving the new van may look like total scruff!

I totally disagree that a bloke in nice van gives a better impression

It's the whole package and after 20 year in the game I believe if the customer likes you that's all that matters

Me and the lad are both covered in tattoos sleeves chests and back and I'm just having a full leg that means nothing I clean some of the most

affluent areas in the county

Latest Posts

Back