Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

TDS reading is it any good

padman

I am trying to set up to give WFP a go. Sorted out a backpack and pole. I actually only do a day a fortnight on the windows and it is traditional. I want to stop my ladder work and increase my workload so was thinking i could pole clean the upstairs windows and still trad the bottom ones so saving water.

I have a purity on tap RO unit that I use for my marine fish tank (see photo). Not sure it is up to the job so thought I would ask the experts. My water reading is 251 out of the tap and after its been through the RO it comes out at 011. Now my question is - will that be ok for window cleaning or do i need it lower.

Cheers

View attachment 5965

@padman

You need a DI vessel after the RO system, that will bring it down to 000,

You need it to be 000, you can get away with 005 maybe, but even that's a bit risky

I am trying to set up to give WFP a go. Sorted out a backpack and pole. I actually only do a day a fortnight on the windows and it is traditional. I want to stop my ladder work and increase my workload so was thinking i could pole clean the upstairs windows and still trad the bottom ones so saving water.
I have a purity on tap RO unit that I use for my marine fish tank (see photo). Not sure it is up to the job so thought I would ask the experts. My water reading is 251 out of the tap and after its been through the RO it comes out at 011. Now my question is - will that be ok for window cleaning or do i need it lower.

Cheers

If you are going to take wfp window cleaning seriously then you need a bigger r/o with a di vessel to polish the tds down to zero. You could get away with a 300GPD processing water into a storage tank such as a second hand IBC tank as a single user.

We found the 2 of us could just manage with a 450GPD r/o.

I'm afraid wfp is all or nothing. Have you considered buying water until you can build up a big enough customer base?

@padman
You need a DI vessel after the RO system, that will bring it down to 000,

You need it to be 000, you can get away with 005 maybe, but even that's a bit risky

i wouldn't want to risk cleaning 1st clean job with a reading of 005, loads of white spotting waiting to happen

i wouldn't want to risk cleaning 1st clean job with a reading of 005, loads of white spotting waiting to happen
Never said anything about first cleans :confused:

But you still could, no different than any clean, just rinse rinse rinse, and if done properly 005 will be ok,

But again, i wouldn't recommend that at all personally, just stating it is possible

Nonsense! You can clean with 011 and be 99% safe. I've cleaned with 036 and achieved spotless results (albeit, by accident). I would put a DI after RO for peace of mind- particularly as you are new to wfp. I've been wfp over 12 years and change my resin when it gets to about 10ppm. PPM means Part Per Million- any human who can spot 5 parts per Million needs a more interesting hobby!!/emoticons/biggrin.png

Never said anything about first cleans :confused:
But you still could, no different than any clean, just rinse rinse rinse, and if done properly 005 will be ok,

But again, i wouldn't recommend that at all personally, just stating it is possible
I know u never mentioned about 1st clean, I am agreeing with you. Just making a conversation how I wouldnt like to use water of 005 especially on 1st clean jobs, my 1st post sound like I was nit picking when I wasn't.

ive used water with a tds up to 10.i wouldn't do this on a regular basis,i was waiting for a new order of resin!!!as above rinse rinse.you would most likely see white spotting in low sun if you didn't rinse.so no!!! a tds of 11 would not be a good idear,save it for washing your van.

I know u never mentioned about 1st clean, I am agreeing with you. Just making a conversation how I wouldnt like to use water of 005 especially on 1st clean jobs, my 1st post sound like I was nit picking when I wasn't.
Ok cool, but it is defo possible to clean with 005, and not get any spotting at all

Ok cool, but it is defo possible to clean with 005, and not get any spotting at all
Personally I think it has to do with the composition of your water in the first place.

I'm sure that some can, but I have found spotting at 5 using our water on windows that get the early morning sun. So I won't let our water rise above 2. Our water is around 120ppm out of the tap.

Personally I think it has to do with the composition of your water in the first place.
I'm sure that some can, but I have found spotting at 5 using our water on windows that get the early morning sun. So I won't let our water rise above 2. Our water is around 120ppm out of the tap.
That's strange spruce,

My water out the tap is 500ppm or higher, and I cleaned with 008 Onve and had no problems at all, granted, I wouldn't risk it knowingly,

So you'd think it would be better for you with a lower tds to start

I watched a video of perry tait saying the human eye can't see the particles up to 050. He didn't say clean with that though and I like mine at 000.

Buy a di vessel for your water after you do your ro getting it down to 11 then the DI will bring it to zero

Di vessel off eBay 11 litre one be big enough and just buy a bag of resin should work fine for you

That's strange spruce,
My water out the tap is 500ppm or higher, and I cleaned with 008 Onve and had no problems at all, granted, I wouldn't risk it knowingly,

So you'd think it would be better for you with a lower tds to start
We tested it with a back pack after having cleaned and let the lounge window dry. When we had our 450 GPD r/o one of the suppliers told me that it would be fine to clean with water at 4ppm. So the first experiment was at 5 and we found tiny white spots on the dried windows. A customer probably wouldn't notice them but we were looking for them.

I know we have cleaned at 3 before and we had no issues. But we knew the water quality and we rinsed more. Being on the coast we just can't take the chance. At the moment, the r/o gets the reject water to 2ppm, so it isn't that big a deal to remove the final 2ppm with resin. It would probably be more of a challenge with your water @Jake. 10 or 12ppm reject water needs more resin attention than I give my di. 6.5 liters of resin lasts me over a year before it needs replacing.

I watched a video of perry tait saying the human eye can't see the particles up to 050. He didn't say clean with that though and I like mine at 000.
Perry Tait is a salesman and has no practical experience window cleaning, so if he did say that then I would take what he says with a pinch of salt.

Yeah round my way we all need to change resin regularly, i have been buying my water over the last few months, and it's much better that way for me, due to very high tds,

I always clean at 000 @spruce

It was by accident when I cleaned with higher, but it seemed to be fine, no marks, perhaps it's just Pot luck,

I'd never normally clean above 000, just to be clear /emoticons/wink.png

Back