alex gatdner

tench0771

high @Alex Gardiner my slx is 1 year old and my number 1 section is a tad worn my question is should i buy some shims as it spins when u clamp it on the red but fiels stiff to clamp on the rest of section i dont want to crack the section buy having the clamp to tite if u get me or do u think it b ok if i crank it titer ? will a new shim sort this out???:)

high @Alex Gardiner my slx is 1 year old and my number 1 section is a tad worn my question is should i buy some shims as it spins when u clamp it on the red but fiels stiff to clamp on the rest of section i dont want to crack the section buy having the clamp to tite if u get me or do u think it b ok if i crank it titer ? will a new shim sort this out???:)

Buy a new 1st section :)

But if one section is so worn, tightening the clamp up so much will mean you can't close the clamp on the unworn section of the pole? I've got an SLX where the top inch of section 1 is really worn, I just clamped it an inch lower. You could saw the worn part off I suppose.

EDIT: just read tench's post and his problem is the other end of the pole. Why has it worn in the red part I wonder?

Hi Tench

When did you buy this SLX?

Could you email me some photos of the wear along with the clamp when closed on the worn part and the non-worn part. This will help me see if the shims would help with this.

It may be best to clamp just above the red from now on, if this is the only worn area. You can adjust the point of maximum extension by sliding the section out of the clamp below, adding a wrap of joint stop tape on the worn part and sliding the section back in. This will now stop the section from extending the worn part out and will allow you to stop and clamp in a new place.

Hi Tench

The shim looks fine to me and I doubt this would alter the clamping force in this worn spot.

Usually I would advise to tighten the bolt up slightly so that it grips the section, but if you then feel it is too tight on the rest of the section, this may not be the solution for you.

I think the easiest thing for you to do is as previously mentioned:

It may be best to clamp just above the red from now on, if this is the only worn area. You can adjust the point of maximum extension by sliding the section out of the clamp below, adding a wrap of joint stop tape on the worn red part and sliding the section back in. This will now stop the section from extending the worn part out and will allow you to stop and clamp in a new place.You will lose about 6cm in extended length but it will prolong the life of the clamping area greatly.