Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Envy you guys in UK.

keefo

This is mainly to say that I envy you guys and girls who work on double glazing the majority of the time. The standard windows and frames here in oz are p**s poor, they flex, are of poor quality so a bugger to clean etc etc. I did my first double glazing job a month back which was internals and externals, it was a joy to work on. I've just been back today doing just the externals and got done so much quicker than the standard windows here. I asked her where she got them from as they are quality windows, surprise surprise they are from a German company that are based in one of the suburbs of Perth.

This is mainly to say that I envy you guys and girls who work on double glazing the majority of the time. The standard windows and frames here in oz are p**s poor, they flex, are of poor quality so a bugger to clean etc etc. I did my first double glazing job a month back which was internals and externals, it was a joy to work on. I've just been back today doing just the externals and got done so much quicker than the standard windows here. I asked her where she got them from as they are quality windows, surprise surprise they are from a German company that are based in one of the suburbs of Perth.
the grass is always greener on the other side!

while it is true that most of the UK windows ARE double glazed now thats not to say the glass is flat in them. But now and then i come across single glazed old type "standard type "as you call them Keefo,

and they are a joy to clean cos the glass is as flat as a die , real quality glass, you can feel it.

Different from here then mate. The single glazed here are terrible and people just don't treat them right.

i love the heat & im sat at home now watching rain just bouncing out of the gutters across the road, i quite like rain but its been well out of order this year

Its not nice working in extreme heat but when im sat here in van looking at my job list thats not going down with rain bouncing off windscreen i wouldnt mind a swap.

Its christmas, bills are due and i cant get owt done

And ive got a wet ****

i will work in the rain if i need to, we're used to it in the lakes but its been hammering down for 2 months now & windy as well & we have a yellow warning for tomorrow now :mad:

It's that fine balance which is needed, it was 35° today and if you're not careful the water can dry so quickly. After a few jobs today though, I was walking along a path besides the indian ocean with the missus and daughter.

keefo please stop your making me ill with all this indian ocean malarky lol

weird day though hammering all morning then come 1.30 sun was out till 4

Trouble is though Simon, it doesn't feel like Christmas out here. It's our first one here and no Christmas tunes or anything.

no tunes!!! oh my, now i really want to swap, no i understand how your missing it, i probably would too, its just the road into town is flooded so i cant get to my mums to fill my tank up or get to work & its been like this for 3 month now

hi there i must agree, having cleaned from one end of the scale to the other from sheds to mc mansions the quality was poor ,and dont get me started on those bloody fly screens ,/emoticons/smile.png

Where are you in oz John or was this previously when you were here? Yeah those flyscreens are a nightmare to get out of the frame on some. I have to take a little 1" decorators scraper around with me to help lever them out.

Where are you in oz John or was this previously when you were here? Yeah those flyscreens are a nightmare to get out of the frame on some. I have to take a little 1" decorators scraper around with me to help lever them out.
hi again we are back in uk now but had lived out there for 6 years in the the beautiful yarramalong valley nsw i settled but wife got home sick ,yes the grass is always greener but some times i remember it was brown and scorched lol i do miss it ,/emoticons/sad.png

hi again we are back in uk now but had lived out there for 6 years in the the beautiful yarramalong valley nsw i settled but wife got home sick ,yes the grass is always greener but some times i remember it was brown and scorched lol i do miss it ,/emoticons/sad.png
forgot to ask how long have you been there are you enjoying it .

Been here few days short of a year John, I've had ups and downs but getting there and wife loves her job and the weather. I miss my parents but when I've thought about going home I think about the many weekends we used to ask each other what shall we do and we couldn't really think of anything great,here we're somewhere most weekends. I used to be a CAD Draughtsman for 16 years back in England and did Production managing for 8. I only took up window cleaning about 5 or 6 months back and I love it, I would find it hard to ever work for somebody again. Would you have stayed out here?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been here few days short of a year John, I've had ups and downs but getting there and wife loves her job and the weather. I miss my parents but when I've thought about going home I think about the many weekends we used to ask each other what shall we do and we couldn't really think of anything great,here we're somewhere most weekends. I used to be a CAD Draughtsman for 16 years back in England and did Production managing for 8. I only took up window cleaning about 5 or 6 months back and I love it, I would find it hard to ever work for somebody again. Would you have stayed out here?.
oh yes, i would still be there now ,it was a experience i will never forget,. hard to explain to anyone that hasnt done it.how did you end up window cleaning and will you have the operation ( citizenship ).

It was just circumstances that I have ended up doing window cleaning mate. I was offered a Production managing job early in the year but the hours they wanted out of me was ridiculous & I was offered another job as Materials planner somewhere but they wanted me to start within a week, unfortunately where my daughter went to daycare one day a week couldn't turn it full time at a weeks notice, i had to turn the job down as company wouldn't wait 4 weeks. Somebody suggested window cleaning and I thoroughly enjoy it. I would find it hard to work in an office again getting my ear chewed off from the Director. We'll see about the citizenship thing as we have to be here 4 years to be able to do that.

Back