Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Would you mind...?

Calum Jennings

I have been working on building my website over the past couple of days and I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind having a look for me and telling me what you think.

I understand that I can't get fast tracked up the Google list by getting loads of traffic, that's not what I'm trying to do. I have seen a certain someone try that one...

Www.jenningswindowcleaning.biz

I would really appreciate your honest opinions and constructive criticism. Just don't be harsh on me lol

Thanks in advance /emoticons/smile.png

I have only gotten as far as the window cleaning page but right away the Bold typeface is annoying mate.

By making those words bold you are obviously trying to emphasize their importance.

It reads (in my head) as patronising to the person reading it.

I say lose the sporadic boldness and just have one typeset throughout.

Lastly the picture of your van..... either include yourself standing next to it in uniform smiling or lose it alltogether and replace it with a pic of some nice shiny windows perhaps. The van by itself holds no interest.

REMEMBER THIS ISJUST MY OPINION.

More short based info than block of text no one read it anyway, and like green say get some pictures of you so ppl can see who they dealing with /emoticons/smile.png

And some general pricelist isa good thing too

It really is essential these days to use a phone friendly responsive site layout - unless you get this right first there's no point giving advise on the text, appearance & SEO - - Google will exclude you from over half of searches simply because your site doesn't meet the mobile friendly criteria.

How are you building the site? Did you consider Wordpress with a responsive theme?

it all depnds how much you are paying for a diy website. sliding pics are a great idea

the rest looks bland.

have a nose around other websites , get some ideas. just make them your own

I like it mate, nice and simple, which is good. Got a good 'one man band' vibe which many domestic customers are drawn to.

On the windows tab I would remove the line at the bottom of the second paragraph "This is why some are sceptical about the WFPS" -it not needed. Average joe doesnt know what WFPS stands for, but even if they did, it'll just put doubts in thier mind about it even if they didnt have any already. Hope that makes sense, just my opinion though.

i would take out the "small" in "small family-run business " . but keep family run .

as said erlier add in a foto of you , smiling but not looking soft .

half sneering is exactly how you want to look to ward off wasters -maybe putting a thumb up [but not both thumbs] to show youre approachable

second thoughts-use both thumbs

It really is essential these days to use a phone friendly responsive site layout - unless you get this right first there's no point giving advise on the text, appearance & SEO - - Google will exclude you from over half of searches simply because your site doesn't meet the mobile friendly criteria.
How are you building the site? Did you consider Wordpress with a responsive theme?
I am using wix as I couldn't really be bothered with the creating it myself with hosting, domain etc. Is it not clear coming up mobile friendly on your phone? They do have a setting to do that and I have played around with the layout on the mobile site. Comments also welcome on the way it is displayed via the mobile site /emoticons/smile.png

it all depnds how much you are paying for a diy website. sliding pics are a great ideathe rest looks bland.

have a nose around other websites , get some ideas. just make them your own
I have had a look around and some look brilliant, whilst others look ****. I do have some knowledge of building websites as I have done a couple in the past as favours using wix. If you have any ideas on how to liven it up, they would be welcome, but I am trying to just stick to my theme of white and blue. The background was a push lol

I like it mate, nice and simple, which is good. Got a good 'one man band' vibe which many domestic customers are drawn to.
On the windows tab I would remove the line at the bottom of the second paragraph "This is why some are sceptical about the WFPS" -it not needed. Average joe doesnt know what WFPS stands for, but even if they did, it'll just put doubts in thier mind about it even if they didnt have any already. Hope that makes sense, just my opinion though.
Sorted. Thanks for that. Appreciate the comment of the one man band vibe. I thought I was using the word 'we' too much lol

i would take out the "small" in "small family-run business " . but keep family run .
as said erlier add in a foto of you , smiling but not looking soft .

half sneering is exactly how you want to look to ward off wasters -maybe putting a thumb up [but not both thumbs] to show youre approachable

second thoughts-use both thumbs
Sorted the text. Thanks for the advice. I will address the picture issue Monday. I'll try not to be too creepy [emoji13]

Honestly - its worth the effort to get hosting & learn wordpress. You'll get better Google rankings and more jobs from the site - and at the end of the day, thats what its all about. Wix instantly holds you back, no matter how hard you work at the design.

I would scrap that site, not that it looks terrible but from an seo standpoint looks like you will struggle.

learn wordpress/seo or pay someone

From my financial standpoint, wix will do for now. Thank you everybody for your opinions they have really helped. I will later, have one made professionally or even fiddle with Wordpress. But to be honest, I just needed a website of some kind up and running to get the ball rolling /emoticons/smile.png

From my financial standpoint, wix will do for now. Thank you everybody for your opinions they have really helped. I will later, have one made professionally or even fiddle with Wordpress. But to be honest, I just needed a website of some kind up and running to get the ball rolling /emoticons/smile.png

How much does Wix cost each month? You can get hosting from TSOhost for £14.99 a year - and there are loads of free wordpress themes - you'd actually save money!

Yep tso host is great.

making your own site with wordpress and learning the basics of seo sounds dauning but its really not that hard, all the information is out there on google and wordpress is pretty intuative, its easy to just mess about with and work it out as you go along. Sure in depth web design takes a lot of learning but as a window cleaner you should be able to get your site ranking in your area by just having a solid understanding of the basics.

I like it as its nice and simple. The only thing I would suggest is change the pictures of the windows and put some really dirty ones on highlighting the before and after result, oh yea and the one with the brush head leaning against the brick wall probably doesn't give the best impression /emoticons/wink.png:whistle: its something I defo have to do on mine is add more photos, I haven't seemed to have picked much work through mine at all, not that I know of anyway.

Back