Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My new Gardiner backpack trolley

Adams0211

I've been using my Gardiner backpack for a couple of months now and love it. I've had it strapped to a sack barrow that I found when out working one day. It worked but it didn't look great and was a pain trying to keep the hose tidy. It was a bit tall too so was a pain in the **** getting it in and out of the van. Another problem was that the only hose I was using was the pole hose meaning I could never be too far from the backpack. I needed to upgrade.

Today I took delivery of a new sack barrow and some parts from Gardiner. I picked up a hose reel the other day and already had 30m of micro bore that if bought a while back but never used.

Total cost (excluding the backpack) was around £88. The hose reel was only £6.99 (down from £9.99) in The Range. It won't last forever but at that price I don't mind replacing it every six months or so.

It's not the most exciting thing in the world but I thought I'd share it anyway. It might come in handy for someone.

And thanks to @daveyboy1 for pointing me in the right direction when it came to the adapters and fittings.

View attachment 6090

View attachment 6086

View attachment 6087

View attachment 6088

View attachment 6089

Have you ever tried a van mount system?
No. I've only ever used my backpack. I started WFP a couple of months back and thought that this would be an inexpensive way of trying it out. I really enjoy it so will probably end up going down the van mount route at some point.

well done m8,brilliant job!!!don't run b4 you can walk it takes time.you will get there in the end.where did you get the reel from/?

No worries Neil

Thanks for adding that connector to your order to save me the postage

I'm still not sure about van mounts round our way as there are so many jobs with access problems

I reckon i just need a big tank when i get a van to carry more water to fill my backpack and it'll be fine

So much easier than ladders though

well done m8,brilliant job!!!don't run b4 you can walk it takes time.you will get there in the end.where did you get the reel from/?
The reel was from a shop near me called The Range. Only £6.99 in the sale.

No worries NeilThanks for adding that connector to your order to save me the postage

I'm still not sure about van mounts round our way as there are so many jobs with access problems

I reckon i just need a big tank when i get a van to carry more water to fill my backpack and it'll be fine

So much easier than ladders though
No worries about the connector mate. I'm not 100% sure about van mounts round here either. Definitely plenty of houses that wouldn't be a problem but loads and loads that I think would be easier with a portable system. Next thing for me to do is sort my tank out with a decent tap.

The reel was from a shop near me called The Range. Only £6.99 in the sale.
I paid 9.99 for my one Neil..that's not on

Just been playing about with my trolley

Recognise the reel??

View attachment 6091

That's 60m of hose on it now

30m of 11mm od and 30m of 8mm od..all 6mm id

To be honest you don't need a van mount. You get any tank & put it it in your van. All you need is basically is a pump & battery or one of the units me & @daveyboy1 bought for £65. Just drop the filter end into the tank & turn on. Connect the other end to your hose reel which in turn is connected to your pole hose. Turn on & your basically working from your van. Instead of pumping from a backpack your pumping from a tank. And yes it works perfectly on a 30m hose as I do it but from 25l drums. My backpack or my other unit never leave my van.

I could quite easily do that with my trolley bungeed to the side of a tank in a van

I use a trolley system and they are good, when there are access problems and you only need 20 litres, if that to do a job, can be quicker than running lots of hose to have to wind it back up, if you have a big job that requires much more water, then van mount would be better and quicker than mucking about changing barrels, topping up back pack. I use 30m microbore and 30m pole hose, so can leave it in van sometimes, which is great.

I use a trolley system and they are good, when there are access problems and you only need 20 litres, if that to do a job, can be quicker than running lots of hose to have to wind it back up, if you have a big job that requires much more water, then van mount would be better and quicker than mucking about changing barrels, topping up back pack. I use 30m microbore and 30m pole hose, so can leave it in van sometimes, which is great.
I agree with you but my way I don't have to fill backpack up. A 25l drum lasts 99% of my houses so I don't have any changes. I take 2 of them which last me a day. Also remember I'm 75% trad. My backpack is my backup. Do agree with you on the hose. Sometimes having 30m to reel back is a nightmare as it catches on everything but I walk to it while reeling in rather then stand there reeling in.

I agree with you but my way I don't have to fill backpack up. A 25l drum lasts 99% of my houses so I don't have any changes. I take 2 of them which last me a day. Also remember I'm 75% trad. My backpack is my backup. Do agree with you on the hose. Sometimes having 30m to reel back is a nightmare as it catches on everything but I walk to it while reeling in rather then stand there reeling in.
I like the idea of walking towards the hose when reeling up:thumbsup:

I love a van mount and using Damo's one with him for 2 days was great but just for practical reasons where i work i couldn't rely on a van mount and would use a trolley more

Especially pin green area @Posh

Lots of those roads are cul de sacs on a big loop road where people access their houses using the back gates

The fronts are only accessible by going down alleyways to the fronts which can mean walking past 20 houses. .up the alley..then back 20 houses to the front

No way with a van mount

I love a van mount and using Damo's one with him for 2 days was great but just for practical reasons where i work i couldn't rely on a van mount and would use a trolley moreEspecially pin green area @Posh

Lots of those roads are cul de sacs on a big loop road where people access their houses using the back gates

The fronts are only accessible by going down alleyways to the fronts which can mean walking past 20 houses. .up the alley..then back 20 houses to the front

No way with a van mount
Far too many terrace houses with no other option that to go through the house too.

I love a van mount and using Damo's one with him for 2 days was great but just for practical reasons where i work i couldn't rely on a van mount and would use a trolley moreEspecially pin green area @daveyboy1

My nan lived there

I know what you mean

Real pain in the arris round there

Easy houses but definitely backpack/trolley or trad area

:specsThat backpack is the same as the one I use . But my sack truck isn't study enough . Any chance of a link or some info were you got the trolley . Cheers Elliot

Latest Posts

Back