Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

help with static ro system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

trevor peacock

I've got a trailer with a DI system that has served me well for 15 years, It's time to upgrade so I want to put a 1000 litre tank with RO system in my garage and get a van with a tank and pump. The van I can do myself, the ro system is another thing.

Can anyone help me with where to buy the components and what do I need?

I've found a 1000 litre tank from tanks-direct for £176 and a 450gpd ro system from collinswaterproducts on ebay for £169, are these suitable and what else do I need?

If you shop about on eBay and Gumtree you can get 1000 liter IBC tanks (used) for as low as £50 each. If you have it in the budget get yourself a 40 inch RO, around £300 depending on where you shop.

Then all you need is some hose pipe and a transfer pump to get the water into your van.

Good luck.

If you shop about on eBay and Gumtree you can get 1000 liter IBC tanks (used) for as low as £50 each. If you have it in the budget get yourself a 40 inch RO, around £300 depending on where you shop. Then all you need is some hose pipe and a transfer pump to get the water into your van.

Good luck.
Hello Mr. Green, long time no see. Where you been and how are you?

hello trevor and welcome to the forum.

Wheh i first started WFP I was in your position. I got a clean IBC for about 40 from ebay. I also brought q 450 gpd from daqua. My budget was tight at the time. My tds is about 180-200.

In hindsite (and as members on here recommended at the time) I wish I had brought a 21/40 or at best a 40/40 ro.

The 450 gpd will be ok if on a budget. but the water protuction is slow. In the summer I fill my 25lt barrels in 30 mins. in winter up to 40 mins.

a 40/40 would take the time down to 8 mins. depends on how much u use in day.

edit

my water pressure is about 60 to 70 psi without pump

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just had a look round, if I use about 300lts a day and have a 1000lt tank in my garage wouldn't a 450gpd be more cost effective?
@Barney got there first :thumbsup:- I agree with what he has said.

Personally I would go with the 450GPD. It kept two of us (2 vans) in water but it took a little planning.

However when buying an r/o there are other considerations as well as it producing enough water per day.

One of the most important considerations is if you are on a water meter. The smaller r/o's aren't as efficient as the larger 4021 and 4040's are. Let me explain. An r/o needs a restriction on the waste so water under pressure can be 'forced' through the membrane removing it's impurities in the process. The impurities are carried away by the waste water.

With the smaller r/o the restrictor is usually a 3 to 1 ratio unit. This means that 3 liters of water go to waste to make 1 liter of pure using 4 liters of tap water. On a water meter that waste water soon adds up. To produce your daily requirement of 300 liters will cost you 1200 liters of water.

If you go for a 4021 or a 4040 then you you could get away with a 1 to 1 ratio depending on your tap water tds. Our tap water TDS is 125 and our water pressure is 50psi. With an HF5 membrane we produce about 2 liters a minute (not boosted) with virtually 2 liters going to waste. So if I'm using 300 liters of water per day then I would expect to use about 650 liters of water to produce that. My water bill is going to be around half of yours to do the same job.

In the long term you would be saving money buying a larger r/o. The difference between a 4021 and a 4040 isn't that great, so I would tend to by a 4040. I've had ours for 3 1/2 years and I wish I had done it 9 years ago.

I have the collingswaterproducts 450gpd and my water is 50 / 50 waste to good it is 320 tds from tap comes out of filter 004 tds going in to my ibc. Full set of replacement filters £35 . pump from tank to van have my resin bottle on van which I pump through to pole.

Thanks guys, I've looked at collinswaterproducts 450gpd Andy and my tap water is300tds, so similar to yours.

How come your ratio is 50/50 when it's quoted as anything from 50/100 to 50/150 good/waste on various websites?

I'm leaning towards the same system as you Andy do you mind if i pick your brain?

Where did you get the rest of your gear from? booster pump, submersible pump for example.

@trevor peacock I don't run a booster pump. I drilled a hole thorough my utility room wall and plumbed a copper pipe from the sink to the garage with a stop tap on the end and connected my filter system to that. The pump I have in my ibc I got from .eBay £30 pond pump. I have a pipe from that pump reaches out side my garage with a female hoselock on the end and at the top of my van tank I have a male hoselock I snap em together before I go out in the morning grab a tea and filled unplug and earn some cash.P's its always been 50 / 50 as it came fitted filters plumbed it in.

I have been reading all the replies with intreast.

I have a ionic van system and am fed up with the costly prices to change filters.

£600 ish for a new ro membrane. 

I have decided to also fit a system in my garage .

I am looking at systems from x- line, window cleaning warehouse and Vyair.

Has anybody used any of theses systems?

Or is it just asbeasy to make my own.

Any advice wpuld be greatly appreciated. 

What actually is in a ‘system’?

I think the manufacturers of these ‘systems’ try and make things sound complicated to put people sorting their own gear out. It’s all just hoses, pumps and filters?

Basic ibc 1000lt container, delivery pump, ro system, possibly a booster pump for your water supply. Very basic set up £600 - £700 max. Depends on if you want a 450gpd basic system or a 20/20 top of the range ro. The sky’s the limit. I’ve got a 450gpd basic ro, does me fine. But I only use 1000lts a week. 

Back