Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Solar Panel Pole dillema

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Poles Apart

Was going to order a super max 45 pole this week but according to posts on the dark side they are a nightmare for solar panels I've never done a solar job so don't really want to spend the money if it's wasted, can't justify spending the money for an extreme, is it true that the supermax is too bendy I thought they were rigid according to the description.

Been informed that Extremes break easily that's not good when you consider the price, I know someone that broke one closing a window not really abuse is it closing windows with pole is part and parcel of the job?

Been informed that Extremes break easily that's not good when you consider the price, I know someone that broke one closing a window not really abuse is it closing windows with pole is part and parcel of the job?
We have multiple extreme 45' or 47' poles, plus extensions. They are strong poles PROVIDED THEY ARE USED FOR WHAT THEY ARE DESIGNED FOR. Closing windows is not what these poles are designed for. Windows can be stiff when they are opened fully. There's no way any pole is designed for closing them. It is abuse of a pole as @Alex Gardiner will no doubt confirm.

For solar panel cleaning at height, you will struggle to beat the Extreme. We use them nearly everyday and they are durable provided they are used correctly.

I do however understand your reticence to part with the cash for the odd solar job. They are costly, but we get our value from them.

Many clients successfully use a Super-Max pole for occasional solar panel clients, however for more regular use there are better options.

The Xtreme pole is excellent for coping with the angles involved for solar panel cleaning. Also at these angles weight becomes even more important - which is where the combination of rigidity and lightweight excel.

The Xtreme poles are not designed to apply lateral pressure though to window closing - the sideways force that can be applied when doing this are great and as a newbie may years ago I even snapped a robust (and heavy) fibre-glass pole doing so in front of a client! If using any pole for window closing it is always best to swivel the pole around 180 degrees catch the edge of the window on the back edge of the top clamp (negates the lateral leverage of the gooseneck) and apply a pressure in a direction inline with the pole. This sometimes means extending the pole more and stepping back to get a straight line of force on to the window. Snapping any pole whilst shutting a window would negate its warranty.

Even better at rigidity and much stronger than the Xtreme pole is the Ultimate pole - this is however much more expensive and is heavier which means it takes more effort to control at solar panel angles, which is why the Xtreme range stays a favourite with a lot of solar panel professionals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested in adding solar panel cleaning to new window cleaning business services. What set up would I be looking at to reach most second floor roofs?

I have no knowledge on this subject at all yet. Thanks Chris.

Back