Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr and Mrs window cleaner

What kit do we need?

Hi there,

We run a nice wfp window cleaning business and are looking to add solar panels to our offering.

Could someone let us know what's involved? Do we need extra tools/ special training to start? I read somewhere on this forum that we need to make sure we've got it added onto our insurance.

Sorry for the basic question, but I couldn't find an answer to my Q when looking through the forum.

Thanks a lot,

Jo

Green Pro Clean Ltd

Firstly check with your insurance. I am with Gleaming insurance (represented on here by @Martin Holden) and Solar is included in the policy. Also ensure you are insulated, you can buy inexpensive gloves (look like gauntlets) that are designed to help protect you and also water tight rubber boots.

Then you need a pole long enough to reach. You will be amazed at how far a basic semi house roof installation is from the ground.

Good luck.

Green Pro Clean Ltd

^^^ What's that? Not possible, took his toys and deleted his account so he says @CHWS yet strangely the account remains undeleted and he was checking up on us all again at 10.51pm last night. ;)

Hi Green Pro, so there's actually no need for the training? I've seen some providers offering it, but it doesn't sound like it's completely necessary... Unless I'm missing something? We just clean them like we would a window?

Thanks

Dave B

Yep clean like a window but with a soft brush

To be on the safe side wear gloves etc if you want but i don't bother

My riggers are rated to resist mains current so i am fine except maybe the hose touching the ground earthing any current

I've never had a shock though

But anyway i am not the expert

Solar steve could give you advice but he wouldn't unless you gave him a couple hundred quid to tell you to wear boots and gloves

Dave B

I saw a van with his approved contractor sticker on it yesterday

Never seen such a battered dodgy looking van but they must be ok as they have a sticker

CHWS
^^^ What's that? Not possible, took his toys and deleted his account so he says @CHWS yet strangely the account remains undeleted and he was checking up on us all again at 10.51pm last night. ;)

:addict::bangheadwall:

Thanks daveyboy and Green Pro, v helpful.

Daveyboy what do you mean about the hose touching the ground? We can't avoid that surely?

Dave B

I know but that is unavoidable as it will always earth somewhere

That's why i suggested gloves

Green Pro Clean Ltd
Never seen such a battered dodgy looking van
@daveyboy are you sure it wasn't just a reflection as you drove past a window cleaned with Vision? :P

Green Pro Clean Ltd

My advice is talk to a professional installer about the risks involved. Also note that there is not one single case of serious injury or death recoreded on Google for solar panel cleaning. I myself clean plenty.

Dave B

I have been known to clean solar panels with a pole which was too short while stood on a ladder to get above the roofline and i am still here to tell the tale

Taxlossloz

only my personal experience but I still have not found any that actually need cleaning

I've done it for a few customers but they were already clean as rain washes them

Green Pro Clean Ltd
I have been known to clean solar panels with a pole which was too short while stood on a ladder to get above the roofline and i am still here to tell the tale

I couldn't possibly imagine anyone else that may have done that! (Sarcastic mode) :whistle:

Ok, thanks a lot:)

Guest Solarpanelcleanington

Farm panels need much more thought than residential.

Christian Eley
only my personal experience but I still have not found any that actually need cleaning

I've done it for a few customers but they were already clean as rain washes them

Just a pointer, rain does not clean Solar Panels as it contains minerals and leaves watermarks on the panels. For the same example, if you left your Windows for the rain to clean them and didn't get a window cleaner in, they would get dirty. The same thing will happen to solar panels.

And just to add to that, most solar panel installers actually require their panels to be kept clean. (In the small print on the warrenty)

Thanks a lot Christian, that's really helpful.

Taxlossloz
Just a pointer, rain does not clean Solar Panels as it contains minerals and leaves watermarks on the panels. For the same example, if you left your Windows for the rain to clean them and didn't get a window cleaner in, they would get dirty. The same thing will happen to solar panels.

And just to add to that, most solar panel installers actually require their panels to be kept clean. (In the small print on the warrenty)

Self cleaning glass rain washes em

Taxlossloz

And it's nothing to do with Windows as solar panels are not Windows !

Green Pro Clean Ltd

Sorry @Taxlossloz but (especially) in the summer when I clean panels you can easily do a 50/50 and see the difference with all the dust etc washed off.

I dont believe anything is truly 'self cleaning'.

To a degree yes but not 100%

Tuffers

Welcome @Christian Eley, can I ask what 'solar soakers' is, is it a solar panel cleaning company?

Guest Solarpanelcleanington

By and large the pitch determines how dirty they are, that and what local dust there is such as milling machines, straw sprayers, dust extraction etc.

Residential panels are rarely as dirty as farm arrays. I have seen some facing north with moss on though.

Taxlossloz
Sorry @Taxlossloz but (especially) in the summer when I clean panels you can easily do a 50/50 and see the difference with all the dust etc washed off.

I dont believe anything is truly 'self cleaning'.

To a degree yes but not 100%

Dust ? Exactly

that's cos it ant rained on em !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.