Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What kit do we need?

Hi there,

We run a nice wfp window cleaning business and are looking to add solar panels to our offering.

Could someone let us know what's involved? Do we need extra tools/ special training to start? I read somewhere on this forum that we need to make sure we've got it added onto our insurance.

Sorry for the basic question, but I couldn't find an answer to my Q when looking through the forum.

Thanks a lot,

Jo

Firstly check with your insurance. I am with Gleaming insurance (represented on here by @Martin Holden) and Solar is included in the policy. Also ensure you are insulated, you can buy inexpensive gloves (look like gauntlets) that are designed to help protect you and also water tight rubber boots.

Then you need a pole long enough to reach. You will be amazed at how far a basic semi house roof installation is from the ground.

Good luck.

Hi Green Pro, so there's actually no need for the training? I've seen some providers offering it, but it doesn't sound like it's completely necessary... Unless I'm missing something? We just clean them like we would a window?

Thanks

Yep clean like a window but with a soft brush

To be on the safe side wear gloves etc if you want but i don't bother

My riggers are rated to resist mains current so i am fine except maybe the hose touching the ground earthing any current

I've never had a shock though

But anyway i am not the expert

Solar steve could give you advice but he wouldn't unless you gave him a couple hundred quid to tell you to wear boots and gloves

I saw a van with his approved contractor sticker on it yesterday

Never seen such a battered dodgy looking van but they must be ok as they have a sticker

^^^ What's that? Not possible, took his toys and deleted his account so he says @CHWS yet strangely the account remains undeleted and he was checking up on us all again at 10.51pm last night. /emoticons/wink.png
:addict::bangheadwall:

I know but that is unavoidable as it will always earth somewhere

That's why i suggested gloves

I have been known to clean solar panels with a pole which was too short while stood on a ladder to get above the roofline and i am still here to tell the tale

only my personal experience but I still have not found any that actually need cleaning

I've done it for a few customers but they were already clean as rain washes them

only my personal experience but I still have not found any that actually need cleaningI've done it for a few customers but they were already clean as rain washes them
Just a pointer, rain does not clean Solar Panels as it contains minerals and leaves watermarks on the panels. For the same example, if you left your Windows for the rain to clean them and didn't get a window cleaner in, they would get dirty. The same thing will happen to solar panels.

And just to add to that, most solar panel installers actually require their panels to be kept clean. (In the small print on the warrenty)

Just a pointer, rain does not clean Solar Panels as it contains minerals and leaves watermarks on the panels. For the same example, if you left your Windows for the rain to clean them and didn't get a window cleaner in, they would get dirty. The same thing will happen to solar panels.
And just to add to that, most solar panel installers actually require their panels to be kept clean. (In the small print on the warrenty)
Self cleaning glass rain washes em

Back