Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris33

My canvassing blog!

Leeds
Hey Chris, how can you tell with google maps about prices?

Two ways Sam , get on Google Street View and see if you can look at the whole house then price accordingly - OR as I have recently (annoyingly) discovered iMaps or whatever Apple calls their version on iPhone/iPad, you can zoom right in on the house, tilt the landscape with two fingers and up pop 3D models of all the houses! You can rotate it round and have a look at the back! Its really accurate too!

Chris33
Hey Chris, how can you tell with google maps about prices?

Hay Sam. You can't lol. I tried it as a few have but there is limited info in a photo,it only serves as a general guide mate

What I used was actually Google street view. I got a few quotes right,got burnt with a few so quote in person now

Chris33

@sam86ni when I started,I got tons of work off fb. I had to react fast and so used google maps a lot.

Some of which work I'm now dropping as start to focus on better priced and more local work.

Anyhoo..using google maps,estate agent online pics of the property etc were all good and well (it gave me a price guide and helped get a feel for what was acceptable for me to quote price wise, depending on fb message feedback etc)

Infact some towns IE Dunfermline I can price higher for same size properties than in say Kirkcaldy. Those Google map pics helped me work that out fast,and also let me give a fast quote for people who I might have lost if quote wasn't done pronto.

But the issue is A you can't tell how bad a state the windows and frames are in from a pic taken god knows when. Also, a pic offers no info on gate access info or what the customers actually like. @peter rogers I remember said he likes to generally suss them out (or steal their wife with his Irish patter) and so quotes in person..good way to see if they will be genuine or not.

Second issue is that I think quoting in person is more likely to generate a positive outcome. More chance to discuss the finer details of what you will do, time it takes etc etc. It just looks more professional in my opinion.

I now use maps and stuff to get a feel for a house before say doing a big gutter job or whatever. I'd have been to the house to see the job,but it serves as a reminder for me the day before job etc (using maps to check it again I mean)

sam86ni
@sam86ni when I started,I got tons of work off fb. I had to react fast and so used google maps a lot.

Some of which work I'm now dropping as start to focus on better priced and more local work.

Anyhoo..using google maps,estate agent online pics of the property etc were all good and well (it gave me a price guide and helped get a feel for what was acceptable for me to quote price wise, depending on fb message feedback etc)

Infact some towns IE Dunfermline I can price higher for same size properties than in say Kirkcaldy. Those Google map pics helped me work that out fast,and also let me give a fast quote for people who I might have lost if quote wasn't done pronto.

But the issue is A you can't tell how bad a state the windows and frames are in from a pic taken god knows when. Also, a pic offers no info on gate access info or what the customers actually like. @peter rogers I remember said he likes to generally suss them out (or steal their wife with his Irish patter) and so quotes in person..good way to see if they will be genuine or not.

Second issue is that I think quoting in person is more likely to generate a positive outcome. More chance to discuss the finer details of what you will do, time it takes etc etc. It just looks more professional in my opinion.

I now use maps and stuff to get a feel for a house before say doing a big gutter job or whatever. I'd have been to the house to see the job,but it serves as a reminder for me the day before job etc (using maps to check it again I mean)

Thinking of coming down your way Chris when I start out. Angus only has 100k at 842 sq mi, fife has 354k at 512 sq mi. Alot smaller, and near edinburgh, edinburgh is a great city.

Chris33

Sounds good @sam86ni Dunfermline is where the best priced work is I'd say. Due to there being so many new build developments there.

Infact the dullock area of Dunfermline and the town of Dalgety bay are pretty much joined up now,they used to be a few mile apart but its just house after house now. There must be at least 6 big ongoing new estates in that town alone.

sam86ni
Sounds good @sam86ni Dunfermline is where the best priced work is I'd say. Due to there being so many new build developments there.

Infact the dullock area of Dunfermline and the town of Dalgety bay are pretty much joined up now,they used to be a few mile apart but its just house after house now. There must be at least 6 big ongoing new estates in that town alone.

These places are massive in fife: Dunfermline, inverkeithing, Cowdenbeath, Kirkcaldy, Glenrothes, kennoway.

Grangemouth, falkirk, bo'ness and queens ferry across the bay. Once the business is established

could possibly start out on the venture of commericial, city slicking.

Stirling and Alloa are quite considerable in size as well.

Near Loch Lomond looks decent as it is near glasgow city, wouldnt mind living out there window cleaning, north west of glasgow hitting Alexandria, Cardross, Rento, Bonhill, Dumbarton, then it goes into the city itself. There is a detached estate with about 100 houses in it at East Glenshinnoch, could chap through Clydebank and Erskine to get to this. Could see a solid round with good chapping at this locaiton.

Chris33

I'm in cowdenbeath and every time I check that recently sold property list there's a good 50 new sold houses within last month or so. My new priority chapping!

And I'm hunting more mansions on that list too now,by setting the default to list price descending ;-)

If your able to generally go anywhere why not try finding out the average prices of cleaning in each area?phone for quotes on a two bed semi etc. Fife is probs averaging about 5 quid a two bed semi, more for new builds but I genuinely know plenty who will do my 10 quid new builds for about half that.

Frames and doors my man,will help u price higher. And a good business page and website:-)

sam86ni
I'm in cowdenbeath and every time I check that recently sold property list there's a good 50 new sold houses within last month or so. My new priority chapping!

And I'm hunting more mansions on that list too now,by setting the default to list price descending ;-)

If your able to generally go anywhere why not try finding out the average prices of cleaning in each area?phone for quotes on a two bed semi etc. Fife is probs averaging about 5 quid a two bed semi, more for new builds but I genuinely know plenty who will do my 10 quid new builds for about half that.

Frames and doors my man,will help u price higher. And a good business page and website:)

I am able to go anywhere in the uk chris. I like Scotlands mountains and wilderness, down south doesnt interest me much on a personal level, other than the lake district, but it isnt heavily populated, so is a bigger risk.

Yup I have taken in everything everyone has said, have documented and bookmarked everything so far.

Another bookmarked post about the the sold property list, genius.

Chris33

Give me a shout if ya want to meet up one day,get a feel for the job or whatever.

I've a few different squugees and so maybe help u figure out what suits u best etc. I wasted so much coin trying different products see.

10 inch squugee is a good size to learn with I reckon. Av an unger one that would be ideal

sam86ni
Give me a shout if ya want to meet up one day,get a feel for the job or whatever.

I've a few different squugees and so maybe help u figure out what suits u best etc. I wasted so much coin trying different products see.

10 inch squugee is a good size to learn with I reckon. Av an unger one that would be ideal

sorry chris, lack of internet with job at the moment. Thanks very much Chris, I really appreciate the help. How is winter going so far?

Chris33

No probs @sam86ni . business keeps on rolling my friend,I've been going through that recently sold list and chapping doors.

Two nites ago I went out with intention to canvas my town, but it was really windy and it were remembrance Sunday too. So just stuck five or six fliers through letter box's in my own town (from sold property search). Genuinely got 2 new houses off that and a gutter job.

Its taking some adjusting this winter,getting the mindset to go out working when its freezing however. Not something we have to think about when in indoor jobs I guess.

adamangler

I posted about 70 letters off that sold search @Chris33 and ended up with 4 enquiry, 3 customers.

Probably get better results knocking them that was just from the letters. still it's not a bad return about 4 out of 70 compared with general leafletting that for me is around 1 in 300 on average.

I have a box of 1000 envelopes that I'm starting to work through, I reckon it might take me till Christmas to write them all out and put letters in though

HALTON
I posted about 70 letters off that sold search @Chris33 and ended up with 4 enquiry, 3 customers.

Probably get better results knocking them that was just from the letters. still it's not a bad return about 4 out of 70 compared with general leafletting that for me is around 1 in 300 on average.

I have a box of 1000 envelopes that I'm starting to work through, I reckon it might take me till Christmas to write them all out and put letters in though

What letter have you written to them?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Chris33

@adamangler get it done Lol

You'll fill your round after say 2000 posts to them houses? That's good odds so far!

I've a list of 30 odd in my town, I'll be chapping on Sunday hopefully. Half my new round is here now so want to make the 330 odd all here eventually

Chris33

@adamangler get it done Lol

You'll fill your round after say 2000 posts to them houses? That's good odds so far!

I've a list of 30 odd in my town, I'll be chapping on Sunday hopefully. Half my new round is here now so want to make the 330 odd all here eventually

adamangler

You have 330 odd customers @Chris33

is that you full or still want more? or are you planing on employing?

Chris33

@adamangler I had a lot more than that. There was 450 at least, was unmanageable though so sold off loads.

Tried employing but was let down a lot and its too early on for that.

I'm gona keep round at 330 houses,chop and change it as I go. But not letting it build up like that again. Constantly stressed I was, chasing my tail.

So aye 330,some mansions and some big commercial work is where I'm at.

Tuffers

How are you sifting out the sold and for sale houses, is there a filter @Chris33? Or do you just scan through rightmove and weed out the sold houses yourself? I can add include sold when I'm searching rightmove, but can't filter out the sold houses.

Chris33

@HALTON we have been adding a letter to send these local houses that were recently bought.

I posted mine off with a flier to start with,basically stating who I am what I can offer and link to website and fb page. More recently I've just started chapping my local houses or dropping a flier.

Much better odds found than general flier posting, from both Adam and I so far.

adamangler
@adamangler I had a lot more than that. There was 450 at least, was unmanageable though so sold off loads.

Tried employing but was let down a lot and its too early on for that.

I'm gona keep round at 330 houses,chop and change it as I go. But not letting it build up like that again. Constantly stressed I was, chasing my tail.

So aye 330,some mansions and some big commercial work is where I'm at.

I think 300 is a nice number, expand upward rather than outwards, as in keep advertising but going after higher priced work whilst dropping the lowest rather than taking on loads more.

@Tuffers

Rightmove.co.uk

Chris33

@Tuffers hi mate how ya doing?

Eh if you just google recently sold property right move, follow the link. Then you can be as specific as typing in the actual street name and all sold will come up.

Give it a try and if no luck- message back on here,I'll then copy a link to it for ya all tonight when on laptop :-)

Chris33

Aye @adamangler I had got rid of all bad payers so its a matter of keeping all local work and having two or three big areas I can target for better prices too.

I'm at least 25% more expensive than all local guys and still cheap by many standards but am pushing prices more now. After all with a full round why shouldn't I, was my thinking.

I hated my last care job so had to get out fast! But built this too fast too! I've kept that 330 so if any drop off over my first winter I've a 10/20 house buffer basically.. Bit of an unknown this being first winter see.

Tuffers
I think 300 is a nice number, expand upward rather than outwards, as in keep advertising but going after higher priced work whilst dropping the lowest rather than taking on loads more.

@Tuffers

Rightmove.co.uk

21/09/16 was the last time anything sold within 5 miles of me :confused:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.