Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Looks for pure water advice

Chris33

Hi lads,

Going to buy the big boy backpack starter kit on Monday as already have two houses on round that are hard to reach with ladders.

Not too sure on the best way to purify the water though? Most cost effective set up,with any links would be appreciated. I only have a vauxhall corsa and so size is a slight disadvantage just now. Any advice would be much appreciated. Chris

1st thing chris. get yours self a tds metre.(if not already)this will tell you if you live in a hard water area or soft water area blah blah.then go from there.please tell us!!!!

Thanks Mark, have ordered a tds meter just now. What difference will this make to what i buy to purify water bud? Will let you know what water type comes from tests.

there are no water types!!if you are in a "soft water area" you will have hit the jackpot depending how much water you need,you will get away with a di vessel only,all depending on your tds readings

If it reads over 100ppm it will cost you 3 times as much to get set up to make your own water

If under 100ppm happy days

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question ,I got a barrel that collects rain water , would I have to test this aswel ? If I were to use it on windows ?

resin isn't cheap,from my limited experience,the resin im currently using TULSION(as always used),is ****** me off,and its not me processing more water, is not lasting,and I don't buy the thought its my di vessel or vessels at fault.i would take a risk and buy another resin but it could be a costly mistake as its not cccccheap.already need more resin.and they say window cleaning is an easy start up business???

Lots of those cheap tds pens seem to give varied readings, example being one guy who reviewed a meter on amazon. He bought three identical pens and they all gave different readings,with a difference of 20 between them.hmm

Lots of those cheap tds pens seem to give varied readings, example being one guy who reviewed a meter on amazon. He bought three identical pens and they all gave different readings,with a difference of 20 between them.hmm
This is why you buy a genuine tds meter from a genuine supplier like Gardiners or Daqua. Daqua also sell testing fluid, so you can check your meter against fluid with a known tds.

yes dassir!!most likely it will be fine though-I collect rain water in water butts & its well below 10 tds which in my opinion is acceptable to clean windows.but I would and do put it through a di vessel and will not eat your resin.but you can use rain water from a water butt no probs

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question ,I got a barrel that collects rain water , would I have to test this aswel ? If I were to use it on windows ?
Yes. Your tds meter is an important part of your kit.

The rain water that comes off my garage roof has a tds of 2. I can clean windows with that as long as the water doesn't contain any sediment.

The rain water that comes off the roof of the house is between 15 and 20 ppm. This is because the tiles are old cement roof tiles. I can't clean with that water unless I purify it by using resin to bring it down to 0.

I use a hozelock water butt pump with a hozelock flow valve just after the pump hose to slow the water flow rate down b4 it hits the di vessel with my water butts.even with a low tds level though don't want your water lfow to fasssssst

Imo it's best to pass it through resin anyway

The resin would last a very long time and at least you are safe in the knowledge you are using 0ppm

Yes mate I would advise resin only

My TDS is 100

I have RO setup but its just sat in garage now as its so much easier with DI - can fill 250 tank in van in 5 mins off a 22l DI I wheel out on a sack trolley

Costs me £60 a bag prob every 2 months at most that's 5 days a week WFP

Just noticed today both my water butts are overflowing again. That's another 400+ litres of free water. 2 hours through the DI & sorted.

One good thing about the rain I spose

Latest Posts

Back