Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dog poo! How to tell customers to clean it up prior to visit

A dam

Okay guys this may seem like a rant but nothing can ruin my day more than going on to one of them gardens that always makes the nostril hairs sting with the stench and leaving with **** all up the legs and on your hose or up your ladders and the dog owner never cleans it up even when they see you on the front and have time to do it before you get to the back. Anyway what is your approach to the customer and how do you make a change. Thankyou

I've posted this before but it's relevant so I'll post it again.

This is a message I sent to one of my customers. She's also one of my wife's clients (my wife's a hairdresser) so I felt like I had to hold back a little bit but I was absolutely fuming.
db63ef2f3e85b46f58be9ac7027cf32e.jpg

a9ed39584ad80870279bb6976686b2c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

tbh people don't like to be told about there lack of consideration(dog mess).it can work in a number of ways,they will dump you because they get the hump,or you will dump them for not cleaning the mess,or they may book there idears up?

I've posted this before but it's relevant so I'll post it again.
This is a message I sent to one of my customers. She's also one of my wife's clients (my wife's a hairdresser) so I felt like I had to hold back a little bit but I was absolutely fuming.
db63ef2f3e85b46f58be9ac7027cf32e.jpg

a9ed39584ad80870279bb6976686b2c2.jpg

How did she reply to that? If at all.

She didn't actually reply to me.

My wife was round there working the following week and dropped it into conversation. Apparently she was very apologetic and blamed it on her husband being unwell so he hadn't been out to clear it up. That's bull **** because it's always in that state. No mention of paying me any money for the work I had managed to do.

I was due back round there today so sent her another message last night warning them that I was coming so they could clear up. I'll upload the screenshot so you can see how that went.

umm like I said people take the huff,they sound like they don't want the windows cleaning anymore?get the payment and don't clean or txt them again THEY NO THE REASON

umm like I said people take the huff,they sound like they don't want the windows cleaning anymore?get the payment and don't clean or txt them again THEY NO THE REASON
I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that I shouldn't have sent her the message?

NOOOOO-you did the right thing letting her know by text message.from my own personal experience, telling cutstomers to clean up there:turd:they don't like it.you have to tell them and you did the right thing:thumbsup:

NOOOOO-you did the right thing letting her know by text message.from my own personal experience, telling cutstomers to clean up there:turd:they don't like it.you have to tell them and you did the right thing:thumbsup:
Ah, ok. I must have read it wrong.

I think sometimes people just need educating. They're probably used to their dog **** and haven't even considered our hoses and stuff like that.

Sounds like you've lost that one @Adams0211, but fair play for wanting your money. She knows where she stands with you. Your attitude is forthright, I wish I was as tough on my customers as you.

Sounds like you've lost that one @Adams0211, but fair play for wanting your money. She knows where she stands with you. Your attitude is forthright, I wish I was as tough on my customers as you.
To be honest, I wanted the full amount (£15) but went with half of it as I didn't want to rock the boat as my wife does a lot of work for the family. I think if you can't complete a job through no fault of your own you should still be paid in full. Oh well.

I've been cleaning windows full time for a year now and it's only recently that I've got confident enough to be that forward with customers. It's a lot easier by text too!

I used to worry about losing customers or getting bad reviews but I don't worry about it much any more.

Wait till you've been doing it a bit longer

I am happy to have those conversations face to face with customers

You either lose the job or they sort it out

Either way it's good to have that chat to their face as you can be a bit diplomatic about it

I just out right say 'clean up the dog mess as we wont work in those conditions.'

Only had one issue.... she said.... 'we dont use the garden in winter and it dont smell when it's cold....I'll pick it up in the summer'

I told her to explain that to her next window cleaner.... she looked confused.... I walked off.

Honestly I would drop a job rather than work in rank conditions. I know if you book isnt full it can be hard to knock back a job but do it otherwise it will spoil your day every month.

i had it all over my wheels on my trolley and my hoses but never knew till it was on my hands when bringing the hose in. i told the customer about it and she said i had no need to go on her grass, i have a path.

There's nothing worse than catching a wiff of something on your feet then realising its dog :turd:

And then realising you've just trod it all up the ladder tressels

Thats why I always keep a change of footwear in the van

Otherwise it can ruin your day big time

There's nothing worse than catching a wiff of something on your feet then realising its dog :turd:
And then realising you've just trod it all up the ladder tressels

Thats why I always keep a change of footwear in the van

Otherwise it can ruin your day big time
what bout cat poop, that stinks for years and nothing removes it.

know the feeling i always carry spare footwear now incase i tread in the doo i work at one barn conversion that pays handsomeley every 4 weeks and therres horses roaming about there horse **** everywhere! and dogs that look like horses are roaming around freely ive been caught short onve here what a mare can honestly ruin your day

Back