Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tendering

P

Paul

Do any of you lads use tendering sites?, if you do what ones and how much do they cost and are the worth it?

If it is something that you are interested in, get your name into the council and housing associations Paul. But to be honest, I don't bother. The contracts get re-tendered every year, and although they say there are loads of factors they look for, a low price will definitely be a big one.

I wouldn't have a clue how to contact the council I've tried searching, would it be facilities management?

i think it be good way of getting a bit of work at the start.

iv thought about it but same as you i dont know where to go or start tbh.

i'll ask anywhere over the phone its hard work tho aint it

how do we go about it ?

I would not bother if i was you , when i tried i was on the waiting list for a couple of years when i got asked to price for jobs the prices were so low it was not worth doing it

Paul when your just starting out building up a round, try not go after work from all directions, this will just cause distractions for you. You really want to have a little bit of regular resi work that you can rely on to give yourself a decent wage every month. I know there are loads of things you can do. But the best way is the simplest way when it comes to round building. Just get out and knock, knock, then knock again.

If you think its bad under quoting a house, and having to keep it on until you can up the price a bit. It could be a major problem if you under price a job worth £200+. Is very easy done when it comes to big contracts and no offence, but when your just starting out, you do really want the job and will be inclined to try and price it low, to get the job.

Start going for things like pubs, or even care homes, then when you have a bit of experience dealing with jobs like that, then you can go for things like large warehouses, hotels, and large tenders etc.

Paul when your just starting out building up a round, try not go after work from all directions, this will just cause distractions for you. You really want to have a little bit of regular resi work that you can reply on to give yourself a decent wage every month. I know there are loads of things you can do. But the best way is the simplest way when it comes to round building. Just get out and knock, knock, then knock again.

If you think its bad under quoting a house, and having to keep it on until you can up a price a bit. It could be a major problem if you under price a job worth £200+. Is very easy done when it big contracts and no offence, but when your just starting out, your do really want the job and will be inclined to try and price it low, to get the job.

Start going for things like pubs, or even care homes, then when you have a bit of experience dealing with job like that, then you can go for things like large warehouses, hotels, and large tenders etc.
nicely and well put

laddergadder knows what he is talkin about /emoticons/wink.png

im just starting aswell... i dont want any commercial work.. i just want to tie up residential work /emoticons/smile.png ITS GOING TO BE MY 'BREAD AND BUTTER' at the end of the day... However going for small shops... like takeaways and convenciance stores is a good idea... /emoticons/smile.png I just quoted a man from a chicken shop £6.00 for his windows and his shop sign.... its very small... but a good price... /emoticons/smile.png he said his windows get cleaned but he still wanted a quote so i said to him give me a call if your interested mate. Canvassing residential customers every day is the key /emoticons/wink.png

lol i am indeed mate

Paul how many customers have u got... and how long u been running for ?

Been running alone just under 2 month was working fir another company for a few years have around 60ish now but had a lot of them before I started

Getting commercial work isn't as difficult as people think it is. Most success I have are with Nursing homes, hotels and schools. If anyone could spare themselves 2 hours a week, make 50 calls - it really isnt daunting, and once youve done a few calls, it will become like habit. A couple of hours a week could turn you over some good commercial work. Its about building a database, so you could go to yellow pages pull of all the care homes, nursing homes, residential and retirement, drop them into a spreadsheet, check the numbers are ok to call (£20, for 2000 checks) You may not get instant results, but your building your own database, as your talking to people ask about renewal dates, make a note, and then make sure you call back about a month before. Soon you will have a large database with call back dates etc, its the only way really to steadily build your commercial side. Its better than waiting for them to come to you.

Hope that helps

I noticed dominoes out cleaning their own windows with blue paper towels and spray bottle of god knows what.. So I rang as I was sitting at traffic lights... Hallo, well come too domeknows... Hi im calling from a local cleaning company could I please speak to your manager? Ended up hanging up he couldn't make sense of me

Back