Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Clonking noise coming from the steering wheel

joe34

Hi, I keep getting a strange noise coming from van when I turn the steering wheel,I had it on my last van too.I have a 800lt system which I had in my old van and now its in my new one .just wondering if anyone else has had this with a heavy system in the back and if so what is it?

Your best solution is to get it investigated by your usual garage.

In most circumstances a clunking noise when moving on full lock usually points to a CV joint on the drive shaft/s. A ping noise on turning could be a broken coil spring/seized upper coil spring bearing on MacPherson struts.

It could also be the resultant wear from overloading the front axle. Positioning a heavy tank like that is important as the weight needs to be distributed toward the back axle. This could well mean a gap between the front seats/bulkhead and the tank.

could be stering rack or track rod ends to it needs to go to garage tho as u dont want something to brake on moter way fully loaded :eek:

That's what I was thinking, anti roll bar bushes.
Mine had worn roll bar bushes, only clonked in a straight line on a level road i.e. an equal load on each front wheel.

Bigger problems now.... a misfire and a fault code for number 3 injector :gush::turd:

what milege and engine is in yours @Luke Barnard its allways that sinking fieling when the van has a falt
2 litre M9R with 111k miles, the one that appeared on Watchdog with the stuck injector problems. There's a company near me that has the hydraulic equipment to get them out but it's not cheap!

i had similar, but only on speed bumps.

i thought it was the bushings, as that is a common fault with my van.

£350 later it was a broken front spring.

Back