Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Slanting roofs!

paulio

Hey guys, Questions for the tradders on here really.

How do you guys clean windows that are set back into the roof? (i.e you have to climb up onto the roof to get to the window), the ones that ain't to steep I can climb on but some are just too steep to get a footing on.

Am I missing something? or is it just a case of using an ext pole or letting a wfp'er take the job off me?

Loads of houses round my way like this and I feel a bit stupid trying to canvass them if I can't clean all the windows.

As always appreciate any advice.

Paul.

just use extension pole to clean then wrap your scrim round the end with a elastic band to profile it & dont give them up

i have exactly same problem. once i climpes out from inside and had the windows open so i could constantly hold on. but i did charge em for it.

Ladder against the fascia, then use an extension pole, easy.

kf8mlgyj:tw1

Obviously can't see the window but just some suggestions you may be able to adapt.

If you've got a long enough ladder and space in front of house you can sometimes run the ladder up the tiles to the window. Be careful of damaging the guttering and tiles. Also make sure ladder won't slip down tiles as you go up by securing the base against something. I have in times past even had permanent eye bolt type things put into customers wall (with their permission) to attach ladder to.

Would using a ladder stand off help?

Is it possible to put the ladder against the wall above the window and reach down to clean?

Remember "Necessity is the Mother of Invention".

Don't take chances. You could do damage to either yourself or to their property, and that is just plain embarrassing.

as above, vitos post is spot on, get it on the tiles and get the bottom footed or braced against a wall or something solid, have even used the car to foot the ladder before,lol ( dont start with the health and safety pleease,lol)

i bought a wagtail to use on the dormas didnt do the best job but it was better than just leaving it

as above, vitos post is spot on, get it on the tiles and get the bottom footed or braced against a wall or something solid, have even used the car to foot the ladder before,lol ( dont start with the health and safety pleease,lol)
Must admit I've used car tyres. They never move. If roof jolts out a little bit I run my ladder up and over the window just below the top guttering and if nessasary I use a ladder stand to give me that extra couple of feet. If roof sticks out a lot I use a pole and as said tool a scrim up to detail. Or I use my backpack which is why I bought it lol.

I don't recommend doing this but it worked for me. Slate roof, quite slippery and fragile. I had been running my triple extension ladder up the roof but thought I would give this a go instead!!

I've now gone over to wfp, so no more high jinks /emoticons/smile.png
Talk about krypton factor lol

i think we just need some clever git to come up with a ladder of somesort that attaches to the sills or something

Thanks for that photo vito.. I would never have thought my ladders could have done that!!

I stretch ladders right out and use the ladder stand off, keeps it off the gutters,, if that don't work then i can either try from inside or it dosent get done..

This is the reason I'm getting the wfp, will never have to take any stupid risks again

Thanks for that photo vito.. I would never have thought my ladders could have done that!!

I stretch ladders right out and use the ladder stand off, keeps it off the gutters,, if that don't work then i can either try from inside or it dosent get done..

This is the reason I'm getting the wfp, will never have to take any stupid risks again
yer them little back pack are worth there wieght in gold my set up cost around 300 quid i still mainly trad but use that for the awkward ones and gutters

they actually would and all i was working a a bloke who does gardining and he got some equipment off them he was on some 6 month start up thing

I just got the van set up, I could not be arsed having to keep filling a backpack or trolley up.. I was hoping to be under £1000 but came in slightly over

Im under a disability employment advisor at the job centre and my mrs is going back to work for 26 hrs a week so the advisor said when you are ready to start to go and see her and she will help me with equiptment costs .

I been off work 10 months now due to sudden cardiac arrest so i should get a 250.00 back to work bonus aswell .

In my last trade i went to jobcentre for a welding screen and they gave me 300.00 to get one of those lol .

Job centre is full of bums I'm glad I don't need anything from them. Really pisses me off that the scroungers on the dole get everything paid for them while we are out working our balls off and have to pay for everything.. Whole system is a joke

Job centre is full of bums I'm glad I don't need anything from them. Really pisses me off that the scroungers on the dole get everything paid for them while we are out working our balls off and have to pay for everything.. Whole system is a joke
So your saying im a bum ???

Back