Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Think I may have lost this contract....

TolishAPurd

I've been cleaning the local school since friday, but had yesterday off due to the weather. Its my lads school, but sadly it is religious, and right next door to a church. Beautiful day today, perfect on the glass. Im parked up, and cleaning the windows next to the small carpark that the church goers are parking in. Lots of old ladies and the like saying hello, and one couple even thanking the lord for the nice weather....they didnt see the funny side when I told them to ''have a word to the bloke up there about the rain yesterday!'' I made this joke before to a religious customer and they gave me the same blank look.

Anyway, moments later an old fat bloke walks over, so I took my headphones out and said good morning.

"Who gave you permission to clean on a Sunday"?

"What do you mean, who gave me PERMISSION?....Who are you...identify yourself?"

"I'm the school governer".

"I don't care, I'm a private contractor, I dont ask for permission, I work when I like. I was given a deadline which is tomorrow, so here I am"

"This is a religious school, you cant work on a Sunday".

"I'm a private contractor, I work when I like".

He walks off in a huff saying; "I'll be talking to the principle about this".

"You do that".

Theres a good chance I may lose this contract now, but thats the price you pay sometimes for not putting up with :turd:.:finger:

I don't care what religion my customers are but i will be the only one dictating my working hours

No harm to anyone cleaning an empty school on a sunday

Surely that would not make a difference to the principal seeing as they are not there

Surely it even makes more sense to clean it on a Sunday when nobody is there!! BTW iv noticed a few of yous clean schools. How to you obtain the contracts? I know over here you have to put in for the tender

Exactly. If they want to spend the day talking to a man in the sky, so be it. But I have work to do. I would understand a little if I was a big crew of lads working, talking loud, and swearing near the church....but I was just a lone bloke minding my own business with my headphones in.

Surely it even makes more sense to clean it on a Sunday when nobody is there!! BTW iv noticed a few of yous clean schools. How to you obtain the contracts? I know over here you have to put in for the tender
I just had my wife ask if I remember right. I went up against 2 others and my price was about twice as much as the cheapest, but my risk assessment and method statement was better than the text that the other guy sent.:rolleyes:

Today was perfect for so many reasons. Perfect weather, easy parking, no kids, and the windows are as clean as can be when the school opens tomorrow. Last time I cleaned here I did it on a sunday with no dramas.

he will likely be a paedo - why do i say that?- as i read your post my windowcleaner6th sense says he is-and a bad un at that

he will likely be a paedo - why do i say that?- as i read your post my windowcleaner6th sense says he is-and a bad un at that
Funny you should say this as I genuinely thought just that when I met him.

Funny you should say this as I genuinely thought just that when I met him.
too much to be a co-incidence then . if youv a problem later with this contract,id put it about locally that he is a nonce

this isnt sour grapes, it might actually save some youngster . and if he is not one of those,well hes nothing to fear just a few hours down the local nick back at home for tea ,wonderin just who dobbed him in ! heeehee

I had a job that "had" to be done that week. Offered him good Friday and he said no coz he religious. Tried telling him i use holy water but didnt wash.

Is that the school down church lane @TolishAPurd where they all park & you can't get down.Never go down there before 9 or between 3-3.30

Nightmare rd at them times
Thats the one mate. Its a nice school but too religious for my liking. Every time my lad comes back from school we have to debunk the myths he has been taught. Now i have to try and soften the attack from this muppett I met today to see if I can keep the job.

I'm more concerned about why you send your kids to a religious school?
Its the local primary, and it happens to have links to the church. I dont mind him learning about religions but we make sure he finds out the truth when he comes home. For instance, he once said; "God is the light" "...Um, no thats the sun."

Thats the one mate. Its a nice school but too religious for my liking. Every time my lad comes back from school we have to debunk the myths he has been taught. Now i have to try and soften the attack from this muppett I met today to see if I can keep the job.

Its the local primary, and it happens to have links to the church. I dont mind him learning about religions but we make sure he finds out the truth when he comes home. For instance, he once said; "God is the light" "...Um, no thats the sun."

I was one of the other 2 but not the one who sent in with a tex.

I cleaned the windows of the secretary of the school. This was about 18 months ago.

Never heard nothing.

That church next door I clean the windows of the little hall there that the kids use sometimes.

Mind you ain't done that for about 9 months.

I clean the windows of the women on the committee

I was one of the other 2 but not the one who sent in with a tex.I cleaned the windows of the secretary of the school. This was about 18 months ago.

Never heard nothing.

That church next door I clean the windows of the little hall there that the kids use sometimes.

Mind you ain't done that for about 9 months.

I clean the windows of the women on the committee
I only picked up the job about 6 months ago mate, the windows were horrendous so I reckon no one got the contract when you went for it.

We should pool our resources. Both of us go for a tender and whack up the price, with one just a 100 cheaper. When they go for the cheaper one, we both do it and split it./emoticons/smile.png

I only picked up the job about 6 months ago mate, the windows were horrendous so I reckon no one got the contract when you went for it.
We should pool our resources. Both of us go for a tender and whack up the price, with one just a 100 cheaper. When they go for the cheaper one, we both do it and split it./emoticons/smile.png
Me and another windy used to do this years ago with the job centres when they had local windies. We would decide who was gonna have it then both put it dear quotes. One of the a quid or so cheaper. We both earned well out of it. Had quite a few of them in the end. I even subbed out the one at ely. Made £20 a month 25 years ago and never saw the building ever.

That sounds a good idea

They were filthy when I looked

:DHa ha . Exactly whAt the New York mafia did in the 80s . It was called the concrete club . They would decide who was gunna get the contract . Tell am to put in a big price , but tell the others to put in a bigger one . And then take it in turns . Worked well for a few years . But they all ended up getting 100 years . So tread carefully .

:DHa ha . Exactly whAt the New York mafia did in the 80s . It was called the concrete club . They would decide who was gunna get the contract . Tell am to put in a big price , but tell the others to put in a bigger one . And then take it in turns . Worked well for a few years . But they all ended up getting 100 years . So tread carefully .
And if you didn't go along with it you would end up in the concrete lol

this is way beyond a school governors role ( I am one and have been a chair for 8 yrs) and decent head/principal would probably, just have a word. I wold have thought that you should have been told prior or a condition in any quote.

I wouldn't worry but make contact with your contact to explain.

this is way beyond a school governors role ( I am one and have been a chair for 8 yrs) and decent head/principal would probably, just have a word. I wold have thought that you should have been told prior or a condition in any quote.
I wouldn't worry but make contact with your contact to explain.
Thanks for the insight James. This guy clearly looked down on me as was evident in his tone of voice from the start, along with his use of the word 'permission'. He was one of those people that probably sticks his nose in peoples business every day, and never gets an argument, but he did that day.

Back