Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thinking of having car washing as an add on. Good idea or stupid?

PJ Bullard

I recently brought a water fed telescopic brush for glass conservatory roofs and I also got a 30m coil hoseline for the same purpose and that got me thinking that it would be pretty easy to buy some car cleaning products and chammy leathers and start offering car washing as an add on seeing as I already have this equipment.

I'd just advertise it as an extra service available.

Is it a stupid idea cos one part of me thinks it is whereas the other part of me says go for it.

Are you insured for it? Personally I wouldn't do it as there are plenty of car washes around these days that are very cheap. The very good valeters that call themselves 'detailers', have a lot of gear. My mate got put out of business very quickly by the polish car washes, even the local Porsche garages around here use them so you would have a hard time getting recognised IMHO.

if you've got time to clean cars you haven't got enough work!!!stick with hammering the windows m8

The guys at my local supermarket do a brilliant in and out valet for £15. That's with about 4 of them going at it solid for about 20 mins or so. Could you undercut all these places and how long would it take you on your own to do that sort of job?! My thought would be you could earn a lot more on Windows in that same time and not need the extra insurance and cleaning products/ Hoover etc needed for cars!

the only angle that may be worth doing is proper cleaning of stained car seats . around where i live non of the foreigner car wash guys do this

Thanks for comments

I guess it is a bit of a daft idea.

Detailers - yes they are the professionals and I guess what I had in mind was a basic soap and wash with my waterfed brush. But yeah its stupid.

I only got the idea cos on the brush it states that it is ideal for washing the car!!

Brushes and paintwork don't mix... I regularly clean my van with mine, and it looks fine until the sun hits it, and you can see every every mark caused by the brush... can't imagine too many customers would be happy about that...

Brushes and paintwork don't mix... I regularly clean my van with mine, and it looks fine until the sun hits it, and you can see every every mark caused by the brush... can't imagine too many customers would be happy about that...
happens to me too ! Found Out that i have to use a regular bucket and soap , and only wfp it in the end . Got a black / Dark Grey van .

as the guys have said hammer the windows get your customer base and you have cracked it

Do your best all the time and the graft will come.One gd thing with the windows we will always be in work

lucky us

as the guys have said hammer the windows get your customer base and you have cracked itDo your best all the time and the graft will come.One gd thing with the windows we will always be in work

lucky us
Unless someone invents a 'robot'.:rolleyes:

Latest Posts

Back