Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What is your canvassing script?

Cocker

So just for fun, but, to perhaps help out those who may be nervous about knocking on doors...

What is everyone's opening words when knocking on a potential customers house?

I'll start [emoji4] (bare in mind this is untested and will be have a follow up video of me giving it a go on my other post... Cockers blog. Hopefully on Sunday evening)

*knock knock*

Hi I'm really sorry to bother you,

My names Tim.

I've been cleaning some of your neighbours Windows and I'll be coming back in a couple of weeks, would you like a price for your windows for next time?

(This is where they say yes and you give them the price or they say •••• off and you return later with dog poo wrapped in newspaper put it on their doorstep and light it.... Knock on and run away... Leaving them to stamp out the flames in their slippers.... Their dog poo smelling slippers)[emoji41]

What is everyone's chosen opener?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

My niece is very good in sales..a bit of a genius when it comes to selling

She says never say you are "sorry to bother you" as you are not.. you are there to provide something they "need"..they just don't know it yet lol

My script goes a bit like this

"Alright mate/ello sweetheart do you need a window cleaner"

Works a treat for me

I think half the battle is the confidence that shows when you talk rather than being shy and not looking comfortable knocking their door

My niece is very good in sales..a bit of a genius when it comes to selling She says never say you are "sorry to bother you" as you are not.. you are there to provide something they "need"..they just don't know it yet lol

My script goes a bit like this

"Alright mate/ello sweetheart do you need a window cleaner"

Works a treat for me

I think half the battle is the confidence that shows when you talk rather than being shy and not looking comfortable knocking their door
I agree that half the battle is confidence.

I'm not sure what reaction I would get if I got straight to the point. I'll have to give it a go and see which works best.

For the few houses I have canvassed I just kept it simple like Dave minus the mate/sweetheart lol. I think Paul dale is the post that everyone reads when they come on the site and it makes people feel that they need to have some lengthy cheesy sales patter before going canvassing, when here's just no need. You don't want to go in for the kill with a sale in this business or you'll end up with a load of messers. The moment you mention window cleaning you want those eyes to light up, they're the customers you want not the one you pressured into it- these people will just be trouble down the line.

How about..... I've noticed your windows are minging. You clearly need a window cleaner. Thing is do u want one? Let me give u a quote. Never fails lol

My script is: 'Hi I was wondering if you were interested in having your windows cleaned?'. Its working wonders for me thus far :thumbsup:

Nah mate I wish it was one in ten.

I did two hours of that script on wednesday and got two new clients.

On other days I've prob walked 5 or 10 miles doing door knocking and I always have some success because I say to myself: 'Im not stopping until I get at least one' and then once I get that Im like: 'Right now Im going to get another and another' - and gradually you build a sort of momentum and it shows when you knock and your upbeat.

Other days I've got zilch..but I seem to always have friendly chats withh potential clients and I write quotes on the back of my business card. And then a week or two later once they've thou about it, they phone me and want to go ahead.

In the short time I've been doing this solo (I used to work with someone who taught me to be a windy), I've learnt that the more effort you put in - the better everything is. Hope this helped /emoticons/wink.png

if i get one organic call from an area i clean there then knock up the neighbours say hey good morning/afternoon I've been working at Mr Jones house today window cleaning i wondered if you were also looking for a window cleaner? answer yes/no and how much £? yes then write down on the back of a business card or flyer with price and hand it over with a date when your next in the area i had an awesome day last sunday picked up 7 new customers on a 4 week clean

you will get people who will say clean myself thanks or allready have a window cleaner if they allready have one i inform them no worries i'm not looking to undercut anyone but i am wondering would you mind me asking how much he charges you? and if they happily say then you get a feel for what can be charged in the area

Depends if I've got houses nearby, if I do I mention I'm maybe doing door number number 3 8 and 9 etc in the script (they seem more likely to take up service if neighbours already do)

If they are not looking too friendly when answering the door I'll jump right in and say "hi, I'm fully licensed and insured,doing half your street, great reviews on my business page (hand them flier with fb link here) and I could do your windows Inc frames and sills for xx. I'm doing lots of houses in your area and am a window cleaner" haha.

I say " Hello, do you require a window cleaner", short and sweet, just be smart and presentable. It has worked for me, when I have canvassed.

My script is usually:

Hi, sorry to bother you just a local window cleaner. Im looking to expand my round in the area so am having a knock around to see if anyone is in need of a window cleaner. Would you be interested in a quote?

If they are friendly and show an interest then i quote and usually close the deal.

If they show little enthusiasm or are not sure, i just hand them a card and say no problem give me a call if you change your mind. They never ring, which goes to confirm they were not that bothered and would have been a messser.

My script is usually:
Hi, sorry to bother you just a local window cleaner. Im looking to expand my round in the area so am having a knock around to see if anyone is in need of a window cleaner. Would you be interested in a quote?

If they are friendly and show an interest then i quote and usually close the deal.

If they show little enthusiasm or are not sure, i just hand them a card and say no problem give me a call if you change your mind. They never ring, which goes to confirm they were not that bothered and would have been a messser.

On @daveyboy s point of not saying "sorry to bother you". heard this many a time from sales people. But i disagree, i am actually sorry to be bothering them as i dont generally feel comfortable when knocking on doors and realise most people dont appreciate someone banging on their door even if most people are pleasant enough. It puts me and ease when i open with that as i feel like im showing im not a sales person just a genuine, friendly guy trying to offer a service.

My script is usually:

Bang on @adamangler

My script is usually:

I feel that this is 100% of what I would be comfortable saying. I'm going to give this a go and let you know the results.

I offer them a quote.

"Hi I'm cleaning your neighbors Windows and seeing if anyone else in the village would like a quote"

People are naturally curious, that gives you a chance to sell your service.

Mine tends to be Hi my name's mike, I'm cleaning a few houses on the street and was wondering if you were looking for a window cleaner. Or if it a new area I go with a cheekier one and say something like I have had a customer pass on an address and I can't read her handwriting, was it you that was asking for a window cleaner, if they say no I ask if it's something they would be interested in, that one works well for me!

i think i failed when it comes to knocking doors. from about 1000 i got ZERO. i dress smart and clean my teeth, i dont smell and i have the right script like i have seen above. but no ones interested. the same with flyers, i must of dished out over 10k of them in my 5-6 years of cleaning and never landed one from a flyer. i always ask how they got my number and most say a friend or facebook. google etc

@4Weekly time to revamp those fliers.

Maybe hire a canvasser if you really don't think it'll work for you?

Is the area you work in saturated with cleaners?

Back