Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

self clean glass roof question

chris clean

Hi everyone. I know this ones been done before on various threads but I have a big self clean glass conny roof this week to do andits my first one. It's absolutely filthy loads of bird sh#t etc. I know I can't use my normal ubik but is it ok to use ecover/fairy platinum etc then scrub and rinse with pure? Also do you need a special brush? In connys I normally just use my gardiner sill brush. Bit nervous about this one any help appreciated cheers

Hi green I can't understand what is perplexing about this. I think you may have misread?! I have said I know I cant use my normal ubik but is it ok to use something like ecover or fairy? On a self cleaning glass roof. Thanks for your reply though any advice on type of brush or if the normal cleaning stuff is ok would be appreciated

I would test an inconspicuous spot with a little diluted ubik and see if it's ok

Some are and some aren't

If you don't want to chance it use a bit of flash all purpose concentrated gel

Cheers daveboy I hadn't thought of flash nice one. What would the effect of ubik actually be if it was put on one anyway? Any need to use a specific type of brush? Thanks

I wouldn't use a very stiff one as it can scratch the coating

The effect it can have on self cleaning glass is leaving streaks over it

The glass usually has a slight blue effect to it which will go all streaky and noticeable from inside

That's the brush i prefer for the job

Or my vikan flocked house brick as it does the job well

I find the flash has more oomph than fairy etc

Easier to rinse too

Just an update on this thread thanks for the advice guys. I have since done a few self clean Connie roofs. I decided I wouldn't even chance the ubik even in a small area. I have just set the roofs and scubbed with a good strong fairybplatinum Mix then rinsed with tap water. Just used pure for a last rinse and they have all come up great. The fairy seems to be able to break down most stuff.

Green, as others who replied have said on this thread and on many others on this site and others ubik can apparently sometimes leave streaks on self clean glass. I have no experience of this but with so many saying it sometimes can I assume there is some basis for them saying it. The advice of some seems to be test each time on a small inconspicuous area but personally I have found that as not using it is working great and customers happy I won't risk ubik. Iya interesting you always use it I guess you have never had an issue and you have a lot of experience but as a relative newbie to this game when I read lots about a risk I prefer not to take it when I'm not needing to

I have used it on self cleaning glass but i have also seen the results when someone else used it on the wrong type of glass and it looked tiger striped once dry

It seems to be that self cleaning thermal stuff that you can really see the purple/blue tint to it that doesn't like it

I just test before i use it

Hello Chris

How did you apply the fairy I.e with mop or did you dip your brush in a bucket.

Just a nice strong mix in the bucket and dip the gardiner brush in mate. Give them a really good scrub then rinse with tap water and just finish it off with pure to leave a nice finish

Back