Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

why isn't my water purer

Guest colinvansmith

Guest colinvansmith

i recently installed a wfp system in my van i live in a soft water area and was advised i'd only need DI. i check the water purity annd it was 26 and when i run it through my di vessel its coming out at 8 should it not be lower? am i doing something wrong? any help appreciated.

colin :)

Hi Colin. Should definitely be zero. If you have just filled the resin vessel, did you pack it well in. If it is not packed enough then the water can find its own way out without clearing the tds. Also an easy mistake, but is worth checking that you have connected the in and out of the resin vessel the right way round.

In an absolute emergency you will probably get away with 8, but would recommend trying to pack a bit more resin in.

Another thought - make sure that the water has been flowing for a minute before taking a tds reading, and make sure that the container you use to hold the water for testing has been well rinsed out the test Water .

hope fully this will help trace the problem

Dave

Just had another thought - are you putting the water into the tank, and then filtering on the way from the tank to the pole, or are you filtering on the way to the tank. If filtering on the way to the tank, there may be some impurities in the tank that the water is picking up after filtering ( particularly with a new tank).

It is usual to filter on the way from the tank to the pole to prevent this, and also to keep the chlorine etc in the water until needed as it helps keep the water safe from bacteria etc.

Dave

Guest window washer

Yeah, you must have the DI vessel as the last purifyer before the pole as tanks can hold all sorts of smellies!!!!

If packed in well with water as soft as yours your resin should last for ages.

If only I could have 26 - mine is 486!!

Guest colinvansmith

magic, thanks guys, i never realised the water here was so pure, i suppose there is some advantages to staying in cold, wet scotland

:)

You say you have recently installed a DI in your van.Your resin should last between 4-6 months with ppm at around 26.First check connected the right way round and after the pump just before the pole hose,Make sure the resin is filled to just under the neck of the vessel and packed down (give a couple of taps on the ground to settle the resin)

Get to be a London girl for me Lads

Guest window washer

26ppm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M

After my water has travelled through 2 3 pre-filters and a 40/40 membrane I get down to 34ppm!!!!!

I then resin the rest down to zero.

Some resin is better than other though.

Thus has made be think guys your all saying put di's as last thing before pole Erm I don't. I have my di's before anything. Attach garden hose to di water goes through two di's then straight into tank.

Guest window washer

Thus has made be think guys your all saying put di's as last thing before pole Erm I don't. I have my di's before anything. Attach garden hose to di water goes through two di's then straight into tank.

Thats definately wrong. The resin vessel filter should come after the pump -

Tap - pre-filters (if needed) - RO membrane - tank - pump - DI vessel - pole.

The tank could get contaminated at any time and so if you have nothing after it you are in trouble whereas having the DI vessel last will always filter off the remaining impurities.

You can have it both ways and as long as you flush your tank regularly you should no problems,I know a lot of guys who R/O and polish water into the holding tank and transfer to van tank each day,The water isn't sitting there long enough to cause trouble

Guest window washer

You can have it both ways and as long as you flush your tank regularly you should no problems,I know a lot of guys who R/O and polish water into the holding tank and transfer to van tank each day,The water isn't sitting there long enough to cause trouble

I suppose you are right, there is no reason why you can't polish before the tank but as Dave mentions, if you run out of water you can then use water from a custies tap into the tank.

Also, it does give you peaceof mind just in case.

It would only take a few minutes to re-jig your set up Cyber and would probably be worthwhile (in my opinion anyway).

If you have the DI after the tank you can get away from transporting loads of water around at the start of the day keep topping up your tank at customers homes 50L here and 50L there.I only carry 250L max around at a time and top during the day if I need more or if I have a big first/one off clean I connect up to their water and DI as I go

Guest window washer

You lucky beggars!

I have to carry 500 ltrs as topping up from taps on the way is not an option with a TDS of 480+.

Nearly is right - if you have a low TDS you can save on van wear and fuel by carrying low amounts of water and topping up.

Guest SafeReach

Hi chaps. Slightly off topic and may be stupid but I RO then Di into 25ltr barrels and they can sit there for a long while before I use them. I only do this part time and have a very small round. I have it for a little extra cash and as a back up plan incase I lose my job in this current climate. Dose 000 water go bad after a while?

Hope not as the bottom barrels have been there a while.

Cheers

Guest window washer

Hi chaps. Slightly off topic and may be stupid but I RO then Di into 25ltr barrels and they can sit there for a long while before I use them. I only do this part time and have a very small round. I have it for a little extra cash and as a back up plan incase I lose my job in this current climate. Dose 000 water go bad after a while?

Hope not as the bottom barrels have been there a while.

Cheers

No - should stay pure as long as the sun doesn't get to it and the dreaded algae appears. Putting pure water into a clean vessel is fine but if you are working every day then what we are saying is to have the resin polish the water as you are using it (i.e. resin AFTER tank) then it is a good safeguard.

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.