Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

DIY Gutter Vac Setup: Advice much appreciated

WCF

Help Support WCF:

G

Gazz K

I was thinking of putting together my own gutter vac system after reading that a few people on the forum have done this.

I have found a 30000W vacuum on ebay at

http:// http//www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WE...725120?hash=item4d3a7c95c0:g:1xQAAOSw~bFWMPHk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WET-AND-DRY-VACUUM-VAC-CLEANER-INDUSTRIAL-80LTR-3000W-STAINLESS-STEEL-/331693725120?hash=item4d3a7c95c0:g:1xQAAOSw~bFWMPHk

I think Smurf has bought this or something very similar on Ebay. Is it any good Smurf? Anybody else know anything about these?

Also need some poles, preferably carbon but are they hard wearing enough for this type of work, and where's the best place to get them? What else will I need to complete the set up, or am I better off buying a ready assembled system like the 3000W Vacuum with Carbon Poles at Gutter Cleaning Systems?

Smurf isn't on the forum anymore @Gazz K

I twinned a numatic gutter 2400watt vac to grippamax Carbon poles

You'll also need as well as the vac and poles: end tools, hose, an extension cable

It's an expensive tool/system to recoup the costs with compared to a ladder and hand tools which is still needed in most cases

Smurf isn't on the forum anymore @Gazz K
I twinned a numatic gutter 2400watt vac to grippamax Carbon poles

You'll also need as well as the vac and poles: end tools, hose, an extension cable

It's an expensive tool/system to recoup the costs with compared to a ladder and hand tools which is still needed in most cases
Oh I thought Smurf was still on here. Oops!

Yeah, I've got a ladder, standoff and footprint and the pro gutter tools. However, I am charging ridiculous money at the moment for gutter jobs and I still seem to be getting most I quote for, although I don't really like doing them so I think I can quite quickly cover the cost of a vac. But, I want to buy as cheaply as possible.

I've got a job coming up that is impossible to do without a vac. I've done quite a few already where a vac would have come in handy due to limited access

Is the Skyvac Atom worth a punt? Anything easily accessible will be done off a ladder, but I need an option where access is a problem. I don't want to turn the limited access jobs away and I will charge according how difficult I think the jobs will be. A camera system will come in handy aswell

I use the ladder where possible

I use a camera phone on a Harris pole to inspect before and after. I bought a wifi camera but it didn't work

I think if you're getting enough jobs to justify the cost don't scrimp, get a GoPro cam, carbon poles say 8m, 8-10m hose, a numatic or grippamax (same thing I think) vac or equivalent quality, and a range of push on tools

I use the ladder where possible
I use a camera phone on a Harris pole to inspect before and after. I bought a wifi camera but it didn't work

I think if you're getting enough jobs to justify the cost don't scrimp, get a GoPro cam, carbon poles say 8m, 8-10m hose, a numatic or grippamax (same thing I think) vac or equivalent quality, and a range of push on tools
How do you fix a camera phone to a pole Jimroot?

I have the Gutter Cleaning Systems one that you posted but with the carbon poles and it works well.

Why bother bodging a cheap one up when you can buy brand new at that price.

You will need the ladders as well though it's not the be all and end all.

I have the Gutter Cleaning Systems one that you posted but with the carbon poles and it works well.Why bother bodging a cheap one up when you can buy brand new at that price.

You will need the ladders as well though it's not the be all and end all.
Yeah think you might be right. What is the best length pole set to buy bearing in mind that I may be cleaning 3 storey town houses at some point? Is it just best to get the 40ft pole set?

I got the 40 foot pole set but never used it above 2 storey yet and don't think I want to it's not easy.

Most poles I have used is 4 and that was enough for me won't be touching 3 storeys.

'How do you fix a camera phone to a pole'

Bicycle phone holder

@tench0771 has cleaned some taller buildings via vac

I've stuck to two floors too as I like to be hands on as I find there's usually issues like tile slide, flashing/membrane, down spout blocks to deal with so vac to me is last resort or known easy repeat 'maintenance' gutter clearing

At the moment I'm doing all my gutter cleans by hand, I seem to be drifting into gutter cleaning!

I was also thinking of making up a gutter vac set but from what I'm reading from Jimroot a lot of the clearing has to be done by hand anyway. I've done jobs where I've wondered how a gutter vac would be able to get the c**p out and from what it appears a gutter vac is not a be all and end all, you still need to get up the ladder as well. I'm I right in this assumtion?

At the moment I'm doing all my gutter cleans by hand, I seem to be drifting into gutter cleaning!
I was also thinking of making up a gutter vac set but from what I'm reading from Jimroot a lot of the clearing has to be done by hand anyway. I've done jobs where I've wondered how a gutter vac would be able to get the c**p out and from what it appears a gutter vac is not a be all and end all, you still need to get up the ladder as well. I'm I right in this assumtion?
Yeah I still expect to go up a ladder a fair bit, but I don't want to miss out on the jobs where limited access would be a problem if I had a ladder set up only. Almost all gutter jobs I quote for I get even at high prices. Same with the conservatories, very few window cleaners want to do them because they are unpleasant jobs and hard physical graft, but I am prepared to do them at a high price. Think I can cover the cost quite quickly but the vac set up needs to be cheapish

Seems to differ for some operators, but for the houses I've done the ladder method is quicker and more comprehensive in maybe 4/5 cases and used nearly always in conjunction with the ladder at some point.

Did one last week, had to fold out the flashing in a corner section to scrape out the clay mud with small tree growing out of it, impossible with a vac, lots of masonary in that one too which would have caused many stoppages

I very rarely use my vac these days, I take it with me but very rarely use it, don't think I have bothered in maybe 8 months?

I do have a couple of mansions I do yearly that I know will be easy to do and mostly already empty so use it on those, otherwise you usually get called out to blocked downpipes/stuff growing out of them, you need a ladder for that OR you leave the downpipe blocked.....

I very rarely use my vac these days, I take it with me but very rarely use it, don't think I have bothered in maybe 8 months?
I do have a couple of mansions I do yearly that I know will be easy to do and mostly already empty so use it on those, otherwise you usually get called out to blocked downpipes/stuff growing out of them, you need a ladder for that OR you leave the downpipe blocked.....
I'm wondering whether the Skyvac Atom or the GCS1250 at Gutter Cleaning Systems will do the occasional job with restricted access.

I would probably lean towards the atom purely because I have known folks use it with success.

Though I have gutter systems 3000watt and its been brilliant when I have used it, no complaints at all.

Awkward is relative though, I am yet to find an "awkward" gutter that I can't position my ladder elsewhere and reach across with a 5 meter pole and gutter tools.

They are handy to have but more of a luxury I think, and then much slower, plus you need to arrange electric or run a generator (which I did at the start)

i use my vac all the time now luv it my first choice is vac every time my ladders come out every now and then ive done high level using it and its hard graft but fun i use ultra lite alli poles i may invest in some grippa carbon the new clamping poles that never get stuck i bet there very lite i use the creves tool on tite gutters its never let me down yet ive had the odd roof tile sliped in to the gutter but i just leve that bit as long as u vac eather side it should wash out after a sorm i think a camra on a pole is a must tho to check the gutter befor and after u vac a gutter

i use my vac all the time now luv it my first choice is vac every time my ladders come out every now and then ive done high level using it and its hard graft but fun i use ultra lite alli poles i may invest in some grippa carbon the new clamping poles that never get stuck i bet there very lite i use the creves tool on tite gutters its never let me down yet ive had the odd roof tile sliped in to the gutter but i just leve that bit as long as u vac eather side it should wash out after a sorm i think a camra on a pole is a must tho to check the gutter
befor and after u vac a gutter
Have you got the Grippavac then Tench? So many on the forum seem to use their vacs on the odd occasion that I don't want to spend a hell of a lot on the first one I get. I want to see how I get on with

I would probably lean towards the atom purely because I have known folks use it with success.
Though I have gutter systems 3000watt and its been brilliant when I have used it, no complaints at all.

Awkward is relative though, I am yet to find an "awkward" gutter that I can't position my ladder elsewhere and reach across with a 5 meter pole and gutter tools.

They are handy to have but more of a luxury I think, and then much slower, plus you need to arrange electric or run a generator (which I did at the start)
The job I'm doing next week is a big house where there is a large recess on the 1st floor over the front and back doors of the house, and I can't get side on to use use the Pro Gutter tools as I normally would. There is also guttering at the sides of the house which would require access from the neighbours gardens both sides just using a ladder.

i use my vac all the time now luv it my first choice is vac every time my ladders come out every now and then ive done high level using it and its hard graft but fun i use ultra lite alli poles i may invest in some grippa carbon the new clamping poles that never get stuck i bet there very lite i use the creves tool on tite gutters its never let me down yet ive had the odd roof tile sliped in to the gutter but i just leve that bit as long as u vac eather side it should wash out after a sorm i think a camra on a pole is a must tho to check the gutter befor and after u vac a gutter
How do you tell if the downpipe is blocked though without getting up with a hose and checking?

Have you got the Grippavac then Tench? So many on the forum seem to use their vacs on the odd occasion that I don't want to spend a hell of a lot on the first one I get. I want to see how I get on with

The job I'm doing next week is a big house where there is a large recess on the 1st floor over the front and back doors of the house, and I can't get side on to use use the Pro Gutter tools as I normally would. There is also guttering at the sides of the house which would require access from the neighbours gardens both sides just using a ladder.
i have the streamline vac wich is the same unmatic vac that grippa sell its very good power full anouth to suck huge clumps out 4 of my friends have them 1 has had his years there very relible indeed one friend had water pooring out the swich as his was a modefied numatic with no ball stop still works perfect lol

How do you tell if the downpipe is blocked though without getting up with a hose and checking?
i put the vac pipe as far down the u bend as it will go if u listen u can here if its clear or not most of my jobs are reguler jobs ive had for years so i can tell if there clear i allways ask the custmer if water is over flowing when its raining as well just to be shore i also tell my custmers to get gutter bulloons as there ace u van vac the top of them with out pulling them out with peace of mind the u bends arnt blocked

Gutter vacs are a handy tool to have in the box but not the be all and end all.

I find they are at there best when we have had a couple of dry, sunny days and the **** in the gutter is dry and dusty then they come into there own.

Nothing better than ladder up at corner and check it out both ways, gutter vac in and just walk down the side of the house then back then along the back

Up the ladder to check it out and round to the front and repeat......then faff about for 10 minutes 'cos you've only been there 35 minutes and it doesn't seem long at all for what you are charging......kerching.

Back