Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

sodium hypochlorite mix ratio

Cambsclean

Following on from my previous thread, I ordered a ik sprayer to use with hypo. Just bought 20 litres of sodium hydrochloride 15%. Can anyone recommend what ratio to mix this to clean patio and roofs?

you'll need to research the surfactant to blend with sh,personally i would forego all this and buy from benz as its pre blended just ready to add to water,its simply not a case of turning up and splashing hypo all over mate-accidents happen that way,sorry just saying how it is,just give the benz website a read to learn some more and to be safe in what you do,

I have been using Paveclear from Sealers Direct, very good but very expensive and bleaches my clothes!

Any suggestions for a good, cheaper alternative?

I have been spraying everything after washing including slabs and concrete, should I only spray block paving?

Benz has a free pdf download of jobs and the appropriate chemical to use for it

Quite handy

Only thing is Benz is expensive compared to hypo

Depending on the floor ur cleaning, I mix hypo 3/1 with some washing up liquid to help stick, but start off with say 5/1 and leave it down for about 20 mins and see how it is, I have also used hypo neat, and this job am on at the moment, av disconnected all me bits from wfp setup and am adding 20 ltr barrell to a 650 ltr tank of water and running it through me hose and out me brush head some 200m away, I find it safer to apply hypo to roofs through wfp set up as it takes away the risk of overspray.

Hypo is good but don't go throwing it about as it can cause lots of problems so be careful using it

I am just getting into softwash but am happier with running through wfp than spraying chemicals around from the ground what with wind etc

Depending on the floor ur cleaning, I mix hypo 3/1 with some washing up liquid to help stick, but start off with say 5/1 and leave it down for about 20 mins and see how it is, I have also used hypo neat, and this job am on at the moment, av disconnected all me bits from wfp setup and am adding 20 ltr barrell to a 650 ltr tank of water and running it through me hose and out me brush head some 200m away, I find it safer to apply hypo to roofs through wfp set up as it takes away the risk of overspray.
Hypo is good but don't go throwing it about as it can cause lots of problems so be careful using it
So assuming your hypo is 15% ish you are using at 2.5%- 3.75%

That's not too strong or too weak imo

I reckon that's what i will go for at first

I did a driveway earlier mixed 50/50 so 7.5% which is strong

If it's 15%

1l to 7.5l of water is a 2% mix

I would start at 2% and see how you get on

Decking is not hard to clean with hypo

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people struggle with the maths but i find it easy

I read on nasw forum how to do it

3:1 ratio for example

3+1=4

15% ÷4 = 3.75 So that would be a 3.75% mix

That way it doesn't matter how much mix you need for a job be it 10l or a 1000l it would still be a 3.75% mix at 3:1

Just divide the strength of your hypo by 2 then 3 then 4 etc until you find the nearest match to the strength you want

If it's 15%1l to 7.5l of water is a 2% mix

I would start at 2% and see how you get on

Decking is not hard to clean with hypo
Well mixed up a bit stronger solution yesterday for my own decking. 1l of 15% hypo to 5l of water. Covered my decking and left for 1 hour and washed off. Did not do a thing really. Pretty much looks the same but slightly bleached.

Not always

If I jet wash I will brush it in, at 1/3 dilution rates, sometimes I find the main foot trafic route needs an un diluted application.

On this roof am doing am jet washing sections of it with just water, but wfp most due to access, my dilution rates are 20l barrell into 650l tank of water, and am mixing it with 1.5l of evans luxury hand soap per tank full .....

The roof is all cladded with plastic panels running rite through it to let light in, and a thick carpet of moss right across.

Customer hasn't asked what am using just glad to see it coming clean but I know if they asked and I told them they wouldn't want me to carry on using hypo

The way I see it is there going to get there gutters are drained cleaned for free

I have already ruined two polo and two sweat shirts using this stuff!

I am very careful using it but it still seems to go everywhere!

I have a specific pair of trousers top and a pair of riggers for softwashing so i don't ruin anything else

It's all looking a bit tie dyed now lol

Back