Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Your first year as a window cleaner

Guest Ryan

First year was hard - but good.

first day I went out there was 2" of snow on the ground, all Traditional - Aluminium ladders, and the Bucket on a belt wasnt round then.

then came spring - it was sooooo worth hanging in there.

Started with a handful of customers, but after 6 months never had to worry about having enough work - just getting round it.

Back then, I was single & living with mum & dad - so didnt really have pressure to earn loads - and developed a bad habit of starting too late in day, and not finishing until 7 ish.

That's all changed now though - early start, and sometimes an early finish.

Must say sometimes I think of how simple cleaning was then - bucket, ladder & squeegee set. Don't get me wrong - I would never go back to the ladder by choice, but when I have a pole jam, pump stop, hose start to leak............ it makes you think.

Guest Ryan

ya i'm 3 months in now and enjoying it a lot

picking up a customers every week iv started so happy with that

iv got a target to get over 1k a month income this year which i hopfully can hit i know its small compared to you guys but i got to start somewhere lol

and filter out all the messers

picked up £30 of new work today so happy days :]

Ryan thats good, Your customers will build up and build up, you might lose one... but you will get 2 new customers in return - Thats the way i see it lol

Its good to have a target, 1K is a good target, you will get more closer to it day by day :)

£30.00 is good, I picked up £34.00 worth of work today aswell.

Happy times :):D:)

• 4 weeks later...

When I first started I was working in a shop 30 hours a week, 6am to 1pm three days, then 1pm to 8pm Friday and Saturday. So I when out 1pm to 6pm, the days during the week, and 8am to 1pm on Fridays & Saturdays, as well as working 8am to 6pm on my day off. So I was basically doing 12 hours a day 6 days a week between the two of them.

There was times when I wasn't sure if I wanted to be a window cleaner, and then there was times when I didn't know if I should work in the rain, or stop, and I hated the turmoil of it. I still do a bit, but I am much more relaxed about it now. But my wife gave me the encouragement I needed to push on with it. A year later, I was making more money with the window cleaning, than I was working in the shop.

The shop was Woolworths, that went under shortly after my first year, I had a mortgage and everything to pay, and felt like I had just dodged a bullet, god knows where I would be if it wasn't for window cleaning. Now five years later, I feel privileged to be a window cleaner, I love the live, the freedom, the responsibility of having my own team, and never haven't to deal with a boss, that treats you like your worthless or speaks to you like your beneath them. I also never have to miss the important things in life because I cant get a holiday, if I need knock off early to go to a family meal, I can.

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.