Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Weed Killer, Is It Worth It?

Roland

Stafford PowerWash Services
Everything I have read says to apply weed killer after washing the block paving and before sanding but all weed killers I know say to apply to the leaves and it will then kill the roots.

Surely it would be better to spray the weed killer then wait a week and then wash rather than wash then weed kill?

I take it that it is the time factor that stops people sprays a week in advance?

I am thinking about not using weed killer if I can't spray at least a week in advance.

Am I missing something here?

I managed to get hold of some weedkiller from a friend of the family who works on the railways. Kills everything, leaves or not. Cant remember the name of it, ill ask next time i see it

I always apply hypo after I clean as well

So most of the weeds have disappeared from the joints a t this point

This allows the hypo to soak down between any joints and will defiantly kill of any little roots left

I no it's sad but I actually tested hypo on some living weeds in my border lol then dug them up 2 days later to inspect the roots

One word!cremated!!

Glyphosate is readily available and is what is used at allotments etc to clear overgrown unnatended plots as it kills the weeds but becomes inert once it comes in contact with the ground so you can then dig over the plot ready for use

Glyphosate is readily available and is what is used at allotments etc to clear overgrown unnatended plots as it kills the weeds but becomes inert once it comes in contact with the ground so you can then dig over the plot ready for use
This^^ . Glyphosate is the active ingredient in a lot of over the counter weedkillers and readily available from from most garden sections of the likes of B&Q etc, it does need a leaf to get down to the roots though but I just put in my aftercare leaflet that any recurrence of weeds is to be treated by the customer as they can and will seed in the joints if it isnt sealed, no way of avoiding it really. Never make wild promises that it'll stay weed free for any period of time as it wont happen and you'll get call backs, just arm them with the information to maintain thier drive/paved area once your finished and they've no comeback

This^^ . Glyphosate is the active ingredient in a lot of over the counter weedkillers and readily available from from most garden sections of the likes of B&Q etc, it does need a leaf to get down to the roots though but I just put in my aftercare leaflet that any recurrence of weeds is to be treated by the customer as they can and will seed in the joints if it isnt sealed, no way of avoiding it really. Never make wild promises that it'll stay weed free for any period of time as it wont happen and you'll get call backs, just arm them with the information to maintain thier drive/paved area once your finished and they've no comeback
I agree with the above

I provide a aftercare sheet with all my drive cleaning

When I first started I got call backs sometimes 6 month after saying I've got weeds coming back

Then having to go back and explain so now I just give a sheet with basics steps to keeping there newly cleaned driveway looking good

I agree with the aboveI provide a aftercare sheet with all my drive cleaning

When I first started I got call backs sometimes 6 month after saying I've got weeds coming back

Then having to go back and explain so now I just give a sheet with basics steps to keeping there newly cleaned driveway looking good
Can I have a look at this copy please pal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be interested in that as well!

I always explain that it won't kill all the weeds, not had any come back yet, but a data sheet is a good idea and not something I had considered.

Once it's been down for an hour it should be inert but I would always make sure it's been rinsed away thoroughly also.

Latest Posts

Back