Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning trad from a car. Unprofessional?

Unprofessional?

• Yes

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters

RichieRich

Do you think using a car instead of a van as a trad cleaner is a disadvantage in terms of professional image?

I'm not talking about big commercial contracts but rather general domestic and shop work?

Sometimes I'm embarrassed to park my Fiat punto in their drive so I park on the road then walk up lol /emoticons/sad.png

View attachment 8339 i started off like many using a Fiat car - raked in no end of work with it. im sure it brought me more work than any of the vans iv had since ,cos a car looks like youre approachable

Last edited:
Psychological I would have thought but I've done the same as you by parking away from houses I clean. I think if customers see you progressing and improving in business and success they somehow feel part of it. perhaps it contributes to customer loyalty in the long run. I don't hide my car now (was a nisan micra now a people carrier). I'll have a nice van some day and when it happens Ill be sure to tell my loyal customers they helped me get there.

I doubt anybody cares what you drive

It's more your manner and attitude that counts especially as your at there homes

no!!!keep it clean-maybe get some magnetic signs on it from vista print.or black the the back windows out & get it sign written,so it looks like a van

Loads of window cleaners where I am from work out of cars I would say at least 50%.

Your average domestic customer won't care if you use bike,foot or car.

I have a mate who drives a battered old combo ex royal mail van which is so old it has gone a pink colour and a customer commented that she liked the fact he didn't have a big shiney expensive van.

If you can afford a van get one as they are easier to work out off but the truth is most won't care.

I have worked from cars and vans and imo it makes no difference

The only reason i am changing to a hilux is to carry 2 small tanks in or i would keep using my car

As long as it looks relatively professional I don't think it matters which for trad. Given the choice though I'd always pick a van though.

My first van was a **** 99 reg Volkswagen caddy. Was fun for awhile but as the business grew and I got more top end customers, commercial cleans etc it did become quite embarrassing turning up in it.

Crashed it.......best thing I ever did......not funny at the time though /emoticons/smile.png

I have worked from cars and vans and imo it makes no differenceThe only reason i am changing to a hilux is to carry 2 small tanks in or i would keep using my car
Out of interest - why x2 tanks and not X1?

You should get a big tank for pure mate and a trolley for softwash like what Kevin or Mark has
I'm thinking more for just plain water for softwash mate so i can pump from that and use an injector

I am intending to really get in to this softwash lark

If it all works out i will be pressure washing drives..doing softwash and keeping a decent compact window round

Done windows for so many years i want to broaden my horizons

Gotcha. Is there a post / thread that explains softwash.......
Cheers fella
It means washing roofs walls floors without blasting

So using Chem like usually bleach or biocide

Plus acids for certain jobs

I like to think of WFP as softwash with pure water

Or degreasers like virosol etc

So were already softwashing really it's just learning about more chems and methods

Makes your job a lot more interesting , satisfying , profitable

i started 1,5 years ago as selfemployed and i use my own car, a little citigo and only thing i heard if any is "nice car bet its perfect for your business" people is then amazed the milage i do with load and two ladders on top :) so no its not unproffesinal in any way, might in fact give you the edge over the "mister highflying windowcleaner in signwritten van" my thouths about it

I'm thinking more for just plain water for softwash mate so i can pump from that and use an injectorI am intending to really get in to this softwash lark

If it all works out i will be pressure washing drives..doing softwash and keeping a decent compact window round

Done windows for so many years i want to broaden my horizons
Definitely Dave I'm exactly same as you on that

on the other hand after some long days with hazardous chems and uncertain results / expectations it's sometimes great to get back on the Windows where not much goes wrong

If you can - get the best of both

Have a rover 45 saloon but off the road at the moment so I'm using the wife's little FIESTA. Makes no difference to my customers as long as long as their windows are sparkling. Plus being a family of 5 it's practical to have a car instead of a van.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

It means washing roofs walls floors without blastingSo using Chem like usually bleach or biocide

Plus acids for certain jobs

I like to think of WFP as softwash with pure water

Or degreasers like virosol etc

So were already softwashing really it's just learning about more chems and methods

Makes your job a lot more interesting , satisfying , profitable
Cheers mate /emoticons/smile.png

I've got a wall that I was going to pressure wash next week but I am taking a cautious approach just because of the type of wall , building material etc.

So if I did softwash would it be apply bleach via a backpack, leave 5 mins and then just use WFP with a soft brush to clean it down? I've got triple DI set up so what I usually do for cleaning PVC etc is just connect the oldest resin to rinse / clean down - presumably same could be applied for softwash.

Thanks

Definitely Dave I'm exactly same as you on thaton the other hand after some long days with hazardous chems and uncertain results / expectations it's sometimes great to get back on the Windows where not much goes wrong

If you can - get the best of both
If it went well i would consider subbing some of my window work so i could do both

I like the regularity of the windows but am fed up chasing £12s and £15s when i could be doing 2 jobs a day with good payment amounts

Back