Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Professionalism

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gmeister

Hi there,

I have just started out, have around 55 customers, and one asked me to clean there facias, was up on a ladder and thought instead of being tight I will get a adjustable pole with a brush on it to clean these an easier way, anyway while I was up on the ladder, I was thinking I don't feel profesional at all, I mean I do when am cleaning windows but other jobs I don't.

I don't have a van, but have a car, I could afford a van, but cant afford all the expenses going out yet, so rather wait till I can.

It got me thinking Is it cause who I am, or the clothes am wearing? (Black tshirt, old jeans, and a hi vis jacket with my name and number) or is it cause I have no van, or simply cause am starting out, anyone else ever feel like this?

A mate said to me to be called a professional, yourd have to do your job for like 5 years or more then I was like you can still be professional.

Anyway I want to hear your thoughts...

Yeah have had the same thoughts mate and my circumstances are virtually exactly same, think it's just because I'm still learning so much as only just starting up.

If you do a good job and get paid money then your a pro . I have color coded cargo pants and sweat shirts with my company name on. Keep learning :)

you should dress according to how you want to be perceived, i have navy blue cargo trousers and navy polos and sweatshirts with my company name on, feels so much better putting them on in the morning, gives you the right at***ude and makes you feel/act more professional!

Well today I had a camper an t-shirt on a pair of shorts footy socks & trainers. I dress how I'm comfortable in & as long as I do a good job IMO i don't think it matters to much what you look like. Must admit there not scruffy shorts or t-shirt but sod wearing trousers in this weather. Just my opinion. Must admit I diddnt feel professional until I got a van.

dnt get me wrong, when the weathers like this i have been known to break the shorts out, or change the polo for a vest, you have to be comfortable, but i find even just owning logo'd tops helps with feeling more professional.

I do own 3 personised t- shirts & must admit feel good when I wear them. One thing I've never worn is a vest. Not a great lover of them but do you think thed be ok to wear.

yh as long as your not fat/hairy/ got offensive tattoos, why not? when i used to work for my old boss id go topless in the middle of summer, the customers were always ok with it

I got a Peterborough united tattoo. That could be offensive in Cambridge lol. Don't think I'd go topless I wanna keep my cuties lol.

Firstly don't worry about a car/van as everyone starts somewhere.

Secondly if you feel that way then it shows you care, so well done on that one. It reflects well on you when you show you care about how your business and your image as a business is perceived.

I wear polo shirts, dark (not navy) blue.

Clean one every day.

I wear snickers trousers, but cargo pants that match your shirt or tshirt will be fine.

Footwear should ideally be tidy looking hiking boots or work boots.

What you're wearing now isn't bad.

Effort is seen and advertising is there.

Yet if you have a 'uniform' then you'll feel far better.

Nice thread /emoticons/smile.png

I like to wear boots in the winter but during summer somet a bit lighter. Good point on the car. You gotta start somewhere. I think long as you turn up fairly respectable and people understand if it's hot yer not going to be wearing an overcoat. I've seen windys out in a baseball cap on the wrong way & it looks stupid especially when the blokes about 40. Grow up. In the winter I find a fleece is warm and looks good. Have 2 with my name on.

As others have said really, don't worry yourself over it too much.

I started with a car, this only bothered me when I started getting larger commercial stuff, but I got a van soon after so that was ok. You can still be proffesional if you dress right, act right and clean right.

Remember your customers don't know how long you've been at it, how many custies you have etc, for all they know you've been at it for 20 yrs! lol.

Keep up the good work!

Latest Posts

Back