Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

what reading should tds meter be?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

1stopcleaning+maintenance

hi could any 1 tell me the ideal tds meter reading. im persuming 000? my water reading as 003. is that ok ? is there any way to get it any lower?

steve 1stop cleaning+maintenance

003 is fine. Most people use theirs up til around 005 I think, but anything up to 010 is meant to be ok for window cleaning.

Are you using a DI vessel? If so, changing the resin should make it 000.

003 is fine. Most people use theirs up til around 005 I think, but anything up to 010 is meant to be ok for window cleaning.

Are you using a DI vessel? If so, changing the resin should make it 000.
mate i may sound stupid but im not sure i know its an r.o filter not sure if theres a di vessel built into that, its 1 from purefreedom came as part as a package.

thanks for reply mate

i normally change my resin at 12 & i've never had a problem. i changed it yesterday at 8 cos of the weather but i had some water left in the tank & it tested at 6 & used it all day fine

I'm Di only so not sure about ur ro, tho I think some have a built in Di cartridge, I could be wrong...if so this might need new resin. If not u might need a Di filter.

What ppm is ur water out the tap?

this should display a pic of the r.o unit i use, is this a combined r.o and d.i filter? has any 1 got any tips on how to maintain it, my water is readin 003 at min can i get that any lower? Steve 1stop cleaning+maintenanceView attachment 379

Hi 1stop, judging by the pic, it looks as if you have 3 membranes, 3 filters and a di. Unless your tap tds is ridiculous, you ought to be able to get down to o. I'd expect the di to be in the housing that sits alone, so have a look in there to see if there is any resin in, having 3 membranes could well get the water to 3 without resin. Make sure the housing is very tight. If its still 3try new resin. Only other thing I can think is if they are cheap quality membranes, but don't ask me the name of the best cos I forget! But mine are 3 yrs old, 2 of them and on there way out but I still get o tds for about 600 ltrs with the same amount of resin you use, with water going into it at thirty odd.

Oh, did you flush the membranes for an hour or 2? You have to do that when they are new!

Iv opend up the white cylcinder there's nuffin in it is this where the resin goes, if not where does it go . I flushed the water for 3 hours yesterday iv got it down to 004 won't go any lower than that, I'm thinkin is it this resin business thatl will take it down steve stone

Yeh I flushed it about 3hours before I forst used it, where will I find there resin ? Steve

Yep, needs filling! Can't see it being a filter! Tulsion mixed bed 115 is the good stuff. Get it from daqua, 5 litre bag about 25 quid will do about 6 fills, should last you a year comfy, I get about 2 months, can buy bigger bags but at 4 tds I don't see a need, but suit yourself, as has been said you could clean without bothering, but most would for peace of mind. Do you happen to know your waste/pure ratio is? You're tempting me to add a third membrane

I have a new system and started with 001 a few months ago. its now at 005 and I will buy some resin tomorrow but not use it until it hits 009

Waste\pure is about 50/50 at min its taking far too long to fill but been told if I get booster pump it will speed it up and improve the waste/pure ratio .steve 1stopsolution -cleaning+maintence

Get yourself a second TDS meter, that way you can cross reference the readings, just in case one of the meters is reading differently.

Richard

I would have thought that rather than buy a second TDS meter you are better off buying a water tester with a known TDS and checking yours against it. Most TDS meters have a little adjustment screw to adjust accordingly.

If you are going to use the last empty 10" housing as a DI vessel then you need to buy a cartridge to put the resin into. I'm sure your supplier of the R/O would have one - Cleaning Spot also sell them I see. The DI housing must be the 'last' housing after the R/O membranes.

thanks for all your comments/feeback iv recently purchased the resin- Tulsion mixed bed 115- placed that in filter found there was some already so replaced it, waters gone froom 008 too 002 . now can i get this any lower to 000 ? has any 1 got any ideas or tips. after i replaced resin do i flush filter on not? any other suggestions Steve

Should definitely get to zilch. It sometimes takes a couple of minutes to come through at 0 but I'm guessing you've waited. Is the housing as tight as you can get it, even if it doesn't leak outside, if it isn't dead tight the r o water can seep through without going through the resin, happened to me once, couldn't figure out why r o and di read 12 with new resin

Back