Sign in to follow this  
Guest Windowwhiz

Aqua-dapter too expensive

Are you being held back from buying an Aqua-dapter because of the price and would you buy on if they  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Windowwhiz

I really want to buy an aqua-dapter but I'm held back as I feel it's very expensive for what is basically a tap on your pole. Purifying water costs next to nothing so I don't really see the saving.

If it was around even the £40-£50 mark it wouldn't be so bad But £77.99 incl vat is a lot or is that just me?

Guest Windowwhiz

Yeah but even with £10 off it's steep

I would buy one if around the £40-50 mark and I think they'd sell 100x more if they lowered the price. I've told loads of other window cleaners about it as most of my cousins are window cleaners too and majority of them think it's really dear.

Guest window washer

I agree,

I do not really need one as I just disconnect from my hoselock which stops the water but as they are handy I would buy them if reasonably priced but at £70 it is expensive.

I would have thought that at £40 they would sell 5 times as many which means they could produce more as the manufacturing costs would surely reduce per item

Hinty

I know they cost a bit, but I would never go back.

Got 3 now - all brilliant

Most window cleaners that changed from Traditional to Water Fed Pole ummed and ahhh'd for ages before spending the cash - ask them now - they would never go back

I think this is similar.

On the website they also offer a satisfaction guarantee offering a refund if not completely chuffed.

From personal experience I have bought remote control's a pure freedom tap that fitted to the pole, an inline tap, and a holster that fitted it to my belt - and tried all sorts of other methods - all in all cost massive amount more than an aqua-dapter.

I would recommend one in a heartbeat.

Not only has it saved me masses of water, but has helped get contracts with businesses that are concerned about wasting water.

Even when talking to a customer you are not spraying everything in sight.

The quality is excellent, and obviously has cost a bit to research & set up.

Also - don't forget it comes with 10M of decent pole hose, and an alloy fitting for the pole.

Rant over - just my opinion.

Dave

Guest Windowwhiz

Totally agree with all you say but I've never been questioned about wasting water and I just turn my tap off between windows, producing water costs me no more than £200 per year and £77 on a tap still feels a lot. I'm still not convinced.

Aqua-dapter

Hi,

It's not just a question of manufacturing cost. It's "value for money".

As David said, we have a satisfaction guarantee, so look after it when you receive it and if you don't think it's worth it, you can send it back for a refund.

The most important benefits aren't savings on treatment costs, they are the extra profitability (do more jobs with the water saved), speed and convenience (no loop, no bending down etc.).

Some guys reckon they're saving 20%-30% water on previous water saving methods. Depending on what you do, it should pay for itself relatively quickly.

We toyed with the idea of taking the hose out of the bundle to reduce the price, but it's good stuff and very important for proper usage. One person bought without the hose, and couldn't get on with it so returned it for a refund. Then he bought again with hose 3 weeks later!

I'm not here to give you a hard sell :lol:, just happy to answer any questions.

Paul

Guest Windowwhiz

Thanks Paul, and again I agree with all you say but I dont lose any water as we just turn our 1/4 turn tap off after each window and even though the Aqua-dapter would be very slightly easier to use I still feel its a stinger at £77

I do feel if it was £40-£50 you'd sell 10x as many.

but hey I may be wrong its only my thoughts.

other problem is I have 3 poles so it really adds up.

nearlyclean

You only need to buy one windowwizz if buying 3 puts you off,I do feel this is the new WFP verses Trad debate.I do see the benefits of the Aqua-daptor only thing that puts me off more than the price is the extra weight on the top of the pole and the loop with the tap is a pain when it gets caught :lol:

Guest window washer

I have to say Dave and Aqua make a good point. I totally understand that there is many costs involved, development, advertising, manufacturing, parts, labour, etc and value for money is a factor but is it value for money?:huh::exclamation:

Even if it cost £20,000 to develop, £ 10,000 to market and a further £10,000 to get production rolling £50 per adapter would mean they would only need to seel 80 to break even.

Obviously these figures are no doubt miles away but you see the point.

£50 would be value for money all round I think.

But - all of the above is only my opinion....And what do I know, I am only a window cleaner.

Aqua-dapter

Even if it cost £20,000 to develop, £ 10,000 to market and a further £10,000 to get production rolling

If only!

£50 per adapter would mean they would only need to seel 80 to break even.

I think you meant 800? 800 x £50 would be £40k turnover, not profit. Out of turnover there are many other costs and overheads for a business to consider.

There are corners we could cut to reduce the cost, but we didn't want to compromise on materials, build quality or Customer Service. We don't just offer the refund guarantee, but also a 12 month repair/replacement on the unit. We wanted to be able to make sure that everyone who buys an Aqua-dapter from us is looked after, and to be able to re-invest in continuing R&D. All of this adds to our costs.

We also offer returning customers a discount, so once you've bought one, you won't pay full price again.

I can't think of a business that wouldn't want to sell more, but we've sold plenty, and it's great that the majority of people who use one are glad they did, plus we get a lot of repeat custom, which means hopefully we're doing something right :huh:

Paul

Guest window washer

Can't believe I added that one up wrong - sorry 800.

In that case bang goes my theory and suddenly £70 seems reasonable.

As I said it was guesswork and I was working on the fact that you might have been working on a shoestring.

Obviously this was a major operation so as I said, what do I know.

Reckon I may just have sold it to everyone at £70 odd with my **** argument.

I never doubted the product as everyone rates it but I was questioning the cost for what it is.

I suppose the proof of the pudding.......................

I will order one and see for myself.

Thanks for taking the time to answer and sorry if I offended you Aqua as that was not my intention.:huh:

Aqua-dapter

Hi window washer,

No offence taken! :huh:

We understand that it's a significant amount to part with and you need to think carefully about it.

We really feel it's value for money, an investment to make work easier and more profitable.

Look forward to receiving your order and hearing your comments.

Paul

Gav

I seriously would recommend them, I was sure I didn't really need it had remote and tap etc. But trust me use one for a few days and once you get used to it you could never imagine cleaning without!

nearlyclean

If your comparing the Aquadaptor to a tap I suppose it does look expensive but then so do carbon fibre poles compared to glass fibre.I see many on forums have brought one and using it and have commented on how useful it is

Aqua-dapter
If your comparing the Aquadaptor to a tap I suppose it does look expensive but then so do carbon fibre poles compared to glass fibre.

Very true, I might use that myself in the future :huh:

nearlyclean

If your comparing the Aquadaptor to a tap I suppose it does look expensive but then so do carbon fibre poles compared to glass fibre.

Very true, I might use that myself in the future :huh:

You can have that one on me Lol

Guest window washer

I think my earlier point of view was perhaps very short sighted and like any good tool if it makes the job easier and saves water then it is almost invaluable. If I look at it like that then you could argue even £300 would be reasonable.

I will be buying one this weekend.

Guest dune19670

Once adapted to using it you won't go back.

i have gone back,

ive gone the ultra light weight way, extreme brush and carbon g/neck.

Guest colinvansmith

£77 is too expensive regardless of research costs etc. it may be a good product but it is still essentially a tap that goes on the end of a pole, the reason its expensive is because aqua adapter have the monopoly on this type of product and know they can get away with charging what they do, At a guess i'd say they cost around £22 to manufacture, however it is a good product just not value for money.

:huh:

Aqua-dapter

Hi colinvansmith,

Do you have an Aqua-dapter?

Guest window washer

I will buy one and try it as I too have been a sceptic of the price, not the product itself but nearly made a good point re carbon poles.

I think I need to try it and see its value for myself.

I will now sit on the fence until I have tried it.

Guest Windowwhiz

Aqua-dapter you can't deny what Colinvansmiths saying it is essentially a tap on the end of a pole and sooner or later other companies will bring out similar products at a fraction of the cost. It is a great concept and design but so was the mobile phone and when they came out they cost an arm and a leg and now you can buy one for £20 in tesco. I'm not knocking the product I'm just saying it's a lot for what it is.

Aqua-dapter

Hi Windowwhiz,

As I've said, the price isn't just for the 'tap', it includes 10m of hose and of course the 12 month guarantee.  Part of whether you think it is value for money also depends on how highly you value good quality and Customer Service.  There were plenty of 'corners' that could have been cut (sometimes I think maybe we should have!) but we didn't, at every stage we kept focusing on making a quality product that will last.

I only asked colinvansmith whether he had one as I would suggest that the repeat custom we get is a good sign of people thinking it *is* value for money.  We get quite a bit of criticism from people who've never used (often never even seen) one, but only a handful stop using it, and we have a lot of positive comments along the lines of "worth every penny".

It is a great concept and design but so was the mobile phone and when they came out they cost an arm and a leg and now you can buy one for £20 in tesco.

I think you're arguing our case for us there! It's taken maybe 10 years for mobiles to get to that stage? Most new products/ideas are more expensive to begin with.  Any product that helps you to work faster and more profitably will probably pay for itself and more while those waiting to see if the price will drop look on, even if the initial price is more than many would like.

There are many examples of people paying a premium for what is essentially the same thing.  How many have an iPhone in preference to another smartphone or a £20 phone from the supermarket, a Mac instead of a PC, drive a Merc instead of a Ford, or choose a carbon pole rather than glass fibre (thanks nearlyclean :D)?  I'm not drawing direct comparisons with those other brands, just illustrating that many will pay more out of preference or perceived value, even if the product isn't something that earns them money i.e. a tool of the trade. While there are other water control products, we feel we have a something with unique benefits.

The idea is of course well protected, but that not the reason for the price, rather that it's expensive to produce a quality product and back it up with good Customer Service.  The cost of manufacture is the first thing many people think of, but it's actually only part of the overall 'cost' once you start running in a business.  

We're still a relatively small company.  These days many of us have gotten used to companies with deep pockets selling products or services at break-even (or a loss) for years in order to gain market share and grow volumes (like Amazon, Last Minute, Skype etc.) We don't have that luxury. We're building a business during a difficult economic cycle, and have to set the price taking into account all factors.

When a window cleaner undercuts his compe***ors many don't like it. When someone relates how their customer has baulked at their price (or a price increase) they're often told to find other customers as 'there are plenty of others who'll pay'.  Most of us will have a fair idea of the costs involved running a Window Cleaning business because we run, or have run, the same or similar type of company/sole trade. Many would be surprised at the costs of manufacturing, protecting and bringing a product to Market, backing it up properly and reinvesting in R&D; but it's suggested that we're not providing value for money.

Not everyone will believe me, but we're doing the best we can.

Does that count as a rant? If so, it's over :D

Paul