Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Why did you start window cleaning?

Sean murray

after reading some previous topics it seems a lot of us window cleaners started as something else and moved into window cleaning for various reasons.

What made you become a window cleaner?

I was working in a shop, and wasn't being treated very well, so started looking for another job. Work was hard to find at the time, which led me to look at starting a small business. Window cleaning was noted in an article as having great returns for a fairly low startup cost, and being a fairly easy trade to learn, compared to some others. I also recalled using a guy to clean my flat windows a few year earlier, who cleaned the three large windows inside and out in about 20 mins, and made more than I made in a hour at the time. I remember thinking, that was not bad money for the time it took the guy.

I am now quite good friends with that window cleaner. I have been going for almost 10 years now, and still learning.

Got a job with a mates dad during school holidays and saturdays on the glass in 1990 when i was 15 and then carried on when i left school, 3 years in the army but still carried on with the windows when i could

Have done windows all my working life either employed, subbing, or for myself even around other jobs when employed

carpet cleaner go stitched up for a lot of dosh when my main customer went tits up - nearly lost my house. Started tree and garden work which got me out of the **** but its hard graft and i aint getting any younger. So started doing windows on the side to see how it went as well as the tree/garden work. The window stuff is nearly becoming my main job now /emoticons/smile.png

I was working a **** warehouse job in a supermarket. I'd been there for about eight years and hated it. I had four young kids and was a bit scared to leave. The money was **** but it was secure and just about paid the bills.

I was fed up with getting the bus to work early each day as my Mrs needed the car for the school run and her work. I saved up a bit of cash and started looking at used cars on auto trader. For some reason I came across the used van section and I thought it would be a good idea to get a small van rather than a car. It would only ever be me driving it and it meant i could throw my boys bikes in the back rather than trying to squeeze them in the car.

I found a van I liked and went and viewed it. The guy I bought it from said he was a window cleaner and had just bought a new van.

A few weeks later I was signed off work with sciatica. My manager was hassling me to go back to work and I had enough. I knew I needed to get out of there but wasn't sure what to do and I was desperate not to end up in a similarly **** job.

I looked at various training courses, thought about going to college and wondered about setting up a business of my own but wasn't sure what. Suddenly I remembered the guy I bought the van off and started researching window cleaning and it went from there.

I bought my trad gear and started practicing and advertising. I worked the early shift in the warehouse and finished at 2pm so went out tradding after work each day. Over the coming months I reduced my days in the warehouse until I was only there two days a week. At that point my dad offered me a day's work each week (he installed alarms and cctv). I gave my notice and it was the best feeling ever. I worked for myself four days a week and with my dad one day a week for a few weeks until I had enough work to fill my week.

A year after starting I switched to wfp and haven't looked back. I used a backpack for six months and then got my van mount in March this year. My only regret is not doing this years ago. I've gone from earning not much more than minimum wage to earning £30, £40 or £50 an hour. Happy days.

I love these stories.

I worked as a pipe layer for civil eng company. Done this since I was 15 in England. Moved to Ireland in 2007. Got job doing the same here. Company I was working for went under in 2009.

Didn't want to sign on so decided to give the windows a try. Made some shite flyers and put them about. First one to call was a woman in the village who is the nosiest big mouth you ever met. Best customer ever. Spiralled from there.

I do have a part time job as well fitting office furniture 2 days a week. But love the windows.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Worked as a Kitchen Manager before. Good money, but long hours, shitty bosses and 30 miles to work one way, girlfriend constantly complaining about me not being there for her. Gave a 12 weeks notice, bought tools and learned the craft to be the boss of my own life. Business is going well. Girlfriend is still moaning. Wrong girlfriend? :confused:

Unemployed, 2nd kid on way, no work. Then the bloke my father in law worked with retired and he offered me a few weeks until he found someone else. Loved it from day 1 so I stayed on. 4 months later thought I could do with a little more ££ so started building a round. Never looked back, still working with him and running my own business

i rember working in a mot center my m8 pulled up to get some tires next door and they were all in shorts and t shurts laffing and joking i was stood there coverd in oil sweeting my ars off geting payed sod all i thault they look like there realy injoying there job after i get a new job power coating and got fed up with risking cancer using these powers ect my m8 give me a triel on the ladders i excelled to the point i was his best lad then went out on my own after 4 years here i am now with 14 years under my belt luv the job still happy and will never do anything eals /emoticons/biggrin.png

And one day Lee you will be a good windie /emoticons/tongue.png:rofl:

Seriously mate it is the best thing to get out of the rat race and work for yourself isn't it

I never did much in the rat race anyway but my brief forays into the world of the employed didn't suit me at all

Went to uni, graduated in law, secured a contract. A year into it, couldn't stand, making the boss 10x what I was earning, vowed to make more than he makes in half the working week.

And my bum got really numb sitting in an office chair all day, literally had to get up every half n hour and walk around. I hate it!

I just like owning a successful business!

Worked in a few dead end jobs since I left school. Never thought I could do any better and just kind of drifted along just getting by with 3 kids. 2013 my ex fecked off with someone else and I ended up without a pot to **** in living at my mums house depressed. Ended up losing my job and ft sorry for myself for a few months until I decided to start my own business. I had no idea what to do so went with mobile car valeting and also took on part time work to supplement it. After about 6 months I was getting work but it wasn't regular. Had considered window cleaning in the past but didn't fancy ladder work or collecting so had dismissed it. Wasn't till I was searching online and stumbled across forums such as this and discovered wfp and that it could be quite lucrative. So I made a d.I. y trolley and stared advertising on facebook and the rest is history.

Did various jobs since leaving school, Signwriting, pubs, cleaning banks, helping me bros carpet fitting, sales manager at a online skateshop - you name it. But got back into me JW religion and wanted a job that fitted round it, load of jw windys down here so I picked a few brains and got given somes custys to get on me way. 2 1/2 years in not looked back. Recently found I'm working more than I wanted so might have to have a word with the new boss..........drum roll please.......The wife!:whew:

I was in construction recruitment, before that in lettings an then we had our 3rd, I thought money weren't as important to me anymore an really wanted to be there and watch the kids grow up, now expecting my 5th and I have never been happier (employment wise lol)

I won 12k on an accy last year so decided to quit my labouring job and went travelling for 3 months. Got back and thought to myself I need a job, but have sod all qualifications, so started window cleaning [emoji106]

Just wanted a change always worked in the office apart from thirty years ago worked for British rail track maintenance loved being outside, after a long chat with a friend who had a successful window cleaning business but sold up due to ill health a few years ago, he was trad, got me thinking, so far I'm really enjoying it don't know if my body will be able take another 20 years though lol.

I was in construction recruitment, before that in lettings an then we had our 3rd, I thought money weren't as important to me anymore an really wanted to be there and watch the kids grow up, now expecting my 5th and I have never been happier (employment wise lol)

Another lunatic with five kids. You must be as mad as me.

Did various jobs since leaving school, Signwriting, pubs, cleaning banks, helping me bros carpet fitting, sales manager at a online skateshop - you name it. But got back into me JW religion and wanted a job that fitted round it, load of jw windys down here so I picked a few brains and got given somes custys to get on me way. 2 1/2 years in not looked back. Recently found I'm working more than I wanted so might have to have a word with the new boss..........drum roll please.......The wife!:whew:
Lots of jw's in this game..obviously suits the lifestyle

I know of 2 round here

Plus a lot of the suppliers are also

I done mines.foundaries.explosives gravediggin...shotblastin n powder coating so lungs are not good lol

Helped out my brother in law in chesterfield wen e done his back...i laughed as thawt wernt a real job...in pub for 12

Back