Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customer hassle

laurend

Hi everyone,

Just wondering on the best way to approach this scenario.

I've a block of 5 large flats which I clean on behalf of the owner of the leasehold.

every month one resident comes out and complains about something using a pole! Leaving Windows wet! How long the job takes me! Not being told in advance I'm coming!

I've tried talking to her rationally but she just talks over me or walks off.

She says her windows are clean so can't really work out her actual problem.

Everyone else is more than happy with me.

Can't ditch her without losing the whole block.

Any advice please!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I feel your pane! Sorry couldn't resist.

This is the problem with wfp cleaning flats. I lost a solid customer of twenty something years recently due to a complaining neighbour beneath. I had previously made an arrangement with this neighbour that she was happy with and 18 months down the line she appeared to change her mind. In another scenario I might have cleaned her windows for free, but she was so nasty and downright abusive that there was no way I'd have even cleaned her windows for free just to keep the one above. So, much to my customers dismay I handed her on to a trad cleaner.

In your case it seems that the owner of the block of flats is paying you. Could you not have a word with them and try to rectify the problem that way.

i would just ignore her its not like your leaving her windows dirty, i do a down stares flat for an old women who has her's done WFP and still asks me to do them. im not sure why i think she just likes me.

Make an official looking complaint document keep it handy in the van, when she complains again hand it over explaining its the official complaint procedure to fill it in. Make out you are not in charge. She will get a kick out of 'getting you in trouble' you'll have a laugh at her falling for it she will have gotten some of her crazy issues off her chest. She thinks she has one over you but you know different.

Send an email to the management company you clean the flats for 1 week before you are due to clean or if near by

Put note on door/notice board stating date of clean and to keep all windows closed.

If she complains about wfp explain that due to health and safety the managment company have banned the use of ladders on site and wfp is the only method you can and will use.

I've just lost a custy for the same reason. Did his top floor flat for the first time with wfp a couple weeks ago. Middle floor neighbour sticks her crumpled old head out the window and starts complaining about the 'mess' I'm making on her glass. So I turned my backpack off and told her not to worry, because Im using pure water and the few droplets that were landing on her glass would dry off very quickly leaving no marks. I thought that was that. But she had other plans.

I carried on doing the windows, but she went upstairs and started moaning at my custy. Chewed his ear off apparently. He said he was happy about the clean but will have to think about whether or not he wants me back due to the aggro.

Got a text off him today, he said its best to leave it. Oh well

Hi everyone,Just wondering on the best way to approach this scenario.

I've a block of 5 large flats which I clean on behalf of the owner of the leasehold.

every month one resident comes out and complains about something using a pole! Leaving Windows wet! How long the job takes me! Not being told in advance I'm coming!

I've tried talking to her rationally but she just talks over me or walks off.

She says her windows are clean so can't really work out her actual problem.

Everyone else is more than happy with me.

Can't ditch her without losing the whole block.

Any advice please!

The leaseholder is getting the windows cleaned for her benefit. You could always suggest she moves to another flat where the windows are left dirty.

Get a contact number / email from her and tell her when you're coming. Also tell her the Leasehold owner instructs you to clean the windows and he's her point of contact not you. I would send a letter with your next invoice highlighting what's been said.

Here is a letter I attached with my invoice, the reply is classic.

I cleaned the windows today of Edgemond Court, as arranged, see attached invoice. The flat front top right was in as I turned up, she looked out of the window as I was erecting my pole. She however left her windows open and left the building on the phone muttering about the window cleaner, she didn't speak to me. Any problems let me know please.

In addition to the leaseholders getting letters where flats are let out we also send one to The Occupier. I think we’re talking about Flat 69 who is probably a tenant so wouldn’t care if there is any damage to the flat. No need to worry about it. Invoice received separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a contact number / email from her and tell her when you're coming. Also tell her the Leasehold owner instructs you to clean the windows and he's her point of contact not you. I would send a letter with your next invoice highlighting what's been said.Here is a letter I attached with my invoice, the reply is classic.

I cleaned the windows today of Edgemond Court, as arranged, see attached invoice. The flat front top right was in as I turned up, she looked out of the window as I was erecting my pole. She however left her windows open and left the building on the phone muttering about the window cleaner, she didn't speak to me. Any problems let me know please.

In addition to the leaseholders getting letters where flats are let out we also send one to The Occupier. I think we’re talking about Flat 69 who is probably a tenant so wouldn’t care if there is any damage to the flat. No need to worry about it. Invoice received separately.

if you need to do this its not a good job to have and it would fine itself binned off quicker then it take to put the kettle on ,

Back