Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pencils Vs Fan Jets

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Damo

I know this has been done to death but i wanted to check something....

I have been told by many cleaners that using fan jets uses less water and is quicker rinsing!

I measured the flow today and the fan jets used more water per minute than the pencils.

Pencils were set a lower flow but the fans were set to what i thought is the lowest setting i could use.

I would say rinsing was faster and easier but at a cost of more water!!!

Any input.........

With fans?

Rinsing on at the top of glass to stop overspray. Then away from glass. I did like them. Checked work. But I canned the water. 600L Today!!!!

Thanks for the answer never used fan jets and always wondered about them and always wondered about rinsing on instead off.

Which fans were you using @Damo ?

I've seen all these videos on Facebook of people using these pukka looking fans but I was underwhelmed when I used the ones that came with a brush that I bought.

That's what I was using. Maybe I had duds or hadn't turned the flow up enough. How much higher did you turn your flow up than if you were using pencils? I've got some brass ones knocking about somewhere. I'll have to give them a try.

Weird this one !!! I've always used more water with fan jets so I've settled with pencil jets ,I find my rinse more accurate and faster

Hated fan jets. Found they splashed all over the tightened vents and caused drips to fall from them. I love the accuracy of the pencil jets /emoticons/smile.png

I work faster with fans and have my flow set to 80% with a 5ltr/minute pump. Today I cleaned 26 properties, a mix of 2,3 and 4 bed terraced and semi detached and used 250 ltrs. It would have been nearer 300 with pencils.

Until recently I used to have my flow set to 50% but found I had to work slower to get a good rinse. I used about the same amount of water for a set amount of work but just did it slower.

I work faster with fans and have my flow set to 80% with a 5ltr/minute pump. Today I cleaned 26 properties, a mix of 2,3 and 4 bed terraced and semi detached and used 250 ltrs. It would have been nearer 300 with pencils.

Until recently I used to have my flow set to 50% but found I had to work slower to get a good rinse. I used about the same amount of water for a set amount of work but just did it slower.

I work faster with fans and have my flow set to 80% with a 5ltr/minute pump. Today I cleaned 26 properties, a mix of 2,3 and 4 bed terraced and semi detached and used 250 ltrs. It would have been nearer 300 with pencils.Until recently I used to have my flow set to 50% but found I had to work slower to get a good rinse. I used about the same amount of water for a set amount of work but just did it slower.
I've never used the Gardiner red fan jets, but I put a set of Lumar (???) jets in a brush many years ago before Gardiners sold them. Lumar sold 2 types from memory, a 40 degree fan (blue) and a 60 degree fan (green). I bought the 40 degree fan, blue coloured.

The fan jets give a nice fan when on a low flow, but there isn't enough water to rinse a hydrophobic glass with. If I turn the flow up then there is just a cloud of mist and I get damp (its like working in a rain forest - it reminded me of the rain forest at Victoria Falls on the Zimbabwean side.) So the brush never gets used. Another cleaner advised to remove the blue spray inserts and replace them with black ones. I never did.

It was a little later that Alex posted that he prefers pencil jets. I've never had to much of an issue with pencil jets, bar really 'bad' hydrophobic glass, so I've never bothered to try those other fan inserts.

The issue with the Lumar jets is that they protrude a bit into the bristle area. The nozzles are plastic so no damage will be done to window frames. They do make a lovely sound on the glass, hissing just like a stream cleaner, so any customer nearby will think their windows are getting a really deep clean. /emoticons/wink.png

I used a pair of jets from Spraytips for a while that were like the Lumar ones by the sound of it. Much of the water turned to spray and blew away, lovely sound and all that. I find the Gardiner ones produce a wet spray rather than a fine spray and suit my working method spot on.

Just the red Gardiner's ones.
Hate those ! As they require a pretty high flow to work properly. Got some older ones of brass , they work fine at lower flow. But canned them and use only pencils now. Love the lower flow and the silent waves down the glass.

At the end o the day...tbe amount o water that comes out o your brush depends o your pump pressure...it the same no mata wot jet...pyt one of each on ya brush n be the same...it just gives 1 jet n 1 spray...same as pissin standin up or sittin down...same effect

ur rite m8 but if the fans arnt rincing well u will rince down the window in a much slower way to get the rince u want wich in turn makes u use more water

I mainly use gardiner fan jets, I think they might rinse better on hydrophobic glass, just because they spread the water wider, but Im no expert, I like the jets on hydrophilic. Dont know about how much water I use,

I have one massive house, that has the highest hydrophobic glass, nasty, I use about 150 litres anyway for £70.:oops: I use fan jets on that.

Back