Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gav vs the new software

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dodger

I presume that the new software isn't playing the game yet with the old version being back up. Got to hand it to ya Gav, I might have given up before now. I noticed a facebook post that says ya were still on it an hour ago and it's almost breakfast time for most.

Anyway I'm sure everyone will be back, like they ever went away I bet they all been tryin to log on every ten minutes (when not washing windows anyway) and I'm sure like me they'll all buy ya a pint or 3 if they ever come face to face with ya in a licensed establishment.

Don't give up mate, me and I'll bet everyone else is right behind ya.

/emoticons/biggrin.png

I missed this /emoticons/biggrin.png but am so happy its up and running again /emoticons/sad.png but Gav must of lacked sleep for the past few days the poor lad ,his head will be battered !

Hes got to take a little rest now and have a good days sleep , then he can get back at it again.

Welcome back everybody!! Life was strange with out the forums, it's part of my daily routine now. I had been thinking of councilling but woke up this morning and had an email, we're back!!

Honestly I enjoyed the time off, ment I actually got stuff done!

Serious snore wasn't it.

Glad we're all back, it's frustrating having nobody to discuss work topics with lol.

Jesus I didn't like that at all, thank god it's back up and running I don't have to speak to the mrs anymore /emoticons/wink.png

Glad to be back and thanks for coming back guys. Been an absolute ***htmare! For now I am taking a break from it. was getting silly and really didn't want to leave the community down anymore. I will keep working on software etc but for now will keep to what we have until I can guarantee as smooth transition. So tired today was sure I could have it sorted last ***ht/thus morn! But no go. /emoticons/wink.png

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I had to resort to reading posts on CIU .

Oh dear what a terrible terrible site that has become the mods are so rude and obnoxious so glad I prefer this site .

Oh dear what a terrible terrible site that has become the mods are so rude and obnoxious so glad I prefer this site .
I did that to gav. Never commented on one & it's still all wfp this & wfp that. Nowhere near as good as this one and the people

I did that to gav. Never commented on one & it's still all wfp this & wfp that. Nowhere near as good as this one and the people
Me too, for 5 minutes. Agree with what ya both said.

Gav,.. not sure how your new forum software works, but this is the method I take when switching/upgrading forum software:

1. create a copy of the current forum

2. install the new software in a separate directory

3. install all the mods and check functionality

4. import all the boards/threads/messages/members etc and check functionality again

5. set the theme/layout/header image and fix as many glitches as I can spot (Taking detailed notes of exactly how everything was fixed)

6. invite the members on the old board to come "test" the new one for a week & report any bugs (again taking detailed notes on how you fixed the bugs)

7. Once the last of the bugs are fixed, delete the boards/threads/messages/members and re-import the most up to date version from the old site.

8. follow all your notes on how to fix the glitches again,.. (its MUCH quicker the 2nd time round) and you'll have the new software running right & with all the latest messages

9. add meta forwarding code to the old forum index page to auto re-direct to the new one. /emoticons/smile.png

Doing it that way keeps the old forum running all the time while you do the hard work getting the new one ready. /emoticons/smile.png

My personal preference for forum software is YaBB 2.4 (My board runs 2.5 and I regret the upgrade as there aren't nearly as many 2.5 mods!). I know there is software out there with more bells and whistles, but YaBB 2.4 is free, open source and has an active community developing mods for it, so you can get nearly any feature you need.

I see you mentioned wanting an advertising feature in the new software, YaBB has it - though I don't like to see advertising on a window cleaning forum as they don't generate enough unique visits to create any real revenue, so its a pointless wast of screen space IMO. I'd hate to see this forum end up like the American WCR one where there is advertising everywhere!

Yes this is what we were going to do but the programmer that helped us jumped on last minute so gave them a copy of database to help migrate. The ideas was we were going to be back up in a couple of hours but then ran into trouble. Thinking we could sort it we left board off for a bit longer as enabling board at that time will have meant any posts made would have been lost. Obviously time went on and we had to put the site back online.

Our plan was to pretty much do as you said but didn't quite work out. We are going to keep working on bits and see how we go.

Yes indeed well I have been playing all day and think I have almost got things sorted so if all is well am going to attempt conversion to***ht will see.

Back