Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Small Claims Courts - Debt Collection

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Green Pro Clean Ltd

OK - this topic comes up from time to time so this is not really a how to it is how I do (when needed)

Things you will find useful:

• Customers full name
  • Full address

If you don't have a full name it does not matter so much but it's easier to sue Charles Windsor than just Charlie. In the past where I have had just a first name I have parked up and waited on the Postie, a quick 'Morning mate, what's Charlies last name?' Has yielded results.

As for the full address Postcode Finder – Find an Address | Royal Mail Group Ltd is a good resource to bookmark in your browser.

Step 1: The letter. (copy and paste this to any word program or even just text on your phone if they have a mobile)

Wallys Window Cleaning

123 Happy Av

Some town

Anycity

AB12 3CD

Dear Charles Windsor,

I am writing in reference to the two months of outstanding window cleaning bills you have not yet paid.

You currently owe £18 for August 2016 and £18 for September 2016 for a total of £36.00. As of today this balance remains outstanding.

We have left you payment reminders on each clean and have also called by on at least two occasions to collect in person but to no avail.

To settle the account today please make payment to account number #123456 Sort code #99-99-99

Alternatively you can pay through Paypal using email [email protected]

Cheques can be made payable to Wallys Window Cleaning and sent to the above address.

If you do not have internet options please call on 07654 123456 to arrange a convenient time for us to call by to collect the payment in cash.

Do not ignore this request as failure to settle the account within 7 days from the date of this letter will result in the matter being passed to the Small Claims Court where you will incur further costs.

Additional costs are:

Wallys Window Cleaning Admin fee: £40

Small Claims Court filing costs: £25

Do please note that if found against you in court you may incur yet more costs for the recovery once passed to a debt collection agent.

We look forward to your prompt attention in this matter.

Sincerely yours, Wallys Window Cleaning.

Step 2: Collect payment ........ or ............ file the claim.

Make a court claim for money - GOV.UK -- This is the link with all the information.

It does not matter if you are a Sole Trader or LTD Company you can still file.

It does not matter if the client is a business or an individual resident you can still file.

8 out of 10 will pay within 7 days.

1 out of 10 will allow it to be filed and pay the full amount a day or two before due in court.

1 out of 10 will either call you up threatening to counter as they owe you nothing blah blah blah - this is the one to write off as it could be a headache - usually they fall into the second category of pay a day or tw before due in court however.

Now this is not hypothetical - this is not 'a mate of mine told me' third hand information.

It's your money, weather it's £10 or £1000 - Principal is all that should matter. If they screw you and you do nothing then they screw the next poor tradesmen and so on.

This is tried and successfully tested by me through our system of courts put there not just to penalize us but to help us when needed so use it as it is YOUR court.

Final note, there is no need to put in the letter - We will no longer be offering to clean your windows, blah blah blah - or words to that effect as they will already have worked that out no doubt.

As usual, hope you find this helpful.

Just curious green pro how long you leave it until you send this letter, I never go out collecting and will do two cleans without being paid. I then stop cleaning until outstanding payments are made. I've only ever had to bring up small claims court with a customer to get paid once but in my mind I would wait another two months before sending a similar letter, so that's four months since first unpaid clean. Is this too long ?

I have one that is very close to small claims.

How do you decide an admin fee cost? i mean i know you can come up with a made up number but that number would need to be rationalised in court so how do you come up with £40 as a figure?

I have one that is very close to small claims.
How do you decide an admin fee cost? i mean i know you can come up with a made up number but that number would need to be rationalised in court so how do you come up with £40 as a figure?
No you actually do not need to rationalize anything relating to your admin charges.

Should you want to rationalize it then use this as a formula.

Including travel time you clean 4 houses per hour at £10 per house = £40.00 for an hours work.

2 visits to the customers house at 20 mins per visit (in order to recover debt) 20 mins on administrative work, typing etc = 1 hour.

Job done

No you actually do not need to rationalize anything relating to your admin charges.
Should you want to rationalize it then use this as a formula.

Including travel time you clean 4 houses per hour at £10 per house = £40.00 for an hours work.

2 visits to the customers house at 20 mins per visit (in order to recover debt) 20 mins on administrative work, typing etc = 1 hour.

Job done
It's just when watching judge Judy or judge rinder at 2pm on a weekday lol they usually ask for proof of charges, like where have you plucked that figure from

But ok that would work.

This is perfect timing. Thank you. I am making the second call for payment from a "lady" today.

She's claimed that she don't have a PayPal account to pay through my website, even though I have explained in detail that she can pay by Credit/debit card the same way. She then claims that the bank details I gave her for a BACS payment do not work.

She's now ignoring my e-mails and phone calls.

It's a 50 mile round trip to her house so an admin charge will be added.

My gut tells me that she will not answer the door.

Typical story, big house, new cars in the drive. Reminds me of the saying, "New car in the drive, no food in the fridge".

Well after 2 cleans ,(first one took almost an hour they were that filthy but i never charged any extra!)),4 times back to the house to collect,3 notes dropped in asking her to contact me regarding payment ,ive still heard nothing,looks like im gonna have to go down this route,gonna copy n paste the letter and see what happens,thanks mate

Don't let it drop mate as even for a quid debt it is the principal of it

I have written a letter to someone that thinks it is ok to shaft me and then not answer the door whenever i knock although i can see her peeking through the blinds

I am waiting until xmas eve to post it through her door informing her that she now owes a £20 admin fee also and to pay within 5 days or it goes to court

Merry Xmas lol

Don't let it drop mate as even for a quid debt it is the principal of itI have written a letter to someone that thinks it is ok to shaft me and then not answer the door whenever i knock although i can see her peeking through the blinds

I am waiting until xmas eve to post it through her door informing her that she now owes a £20 admin fee also and to pay within 5 days or it goes to court

Merry Xmas lol
Put it in a Xmas card envelope as well, just to add to the surprise

Got a major problem when i think about it,i dont even know her name,only spoke to her once and that was when she first asked me to clean her windows,ive dealt with her son both times i went to clean as she was at work,any suggestions guys?

I just move on my prices include non payment insurance haven't got time to worry about them it could get messy as well.
Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
I hear what your saying but its so frustrating,we have done nothing wrong,did the job for a very fair price but for some unknown reason shes refusing to acknowledge us for the work she asked us to do,has a 64 plate merc sat on the drive ill bet she doesnt miss her payments for that!

This has been talked about a lot a window cleaner on here who said he new the law inside out on this. He said turn up at small claims court they probably won't and we win I haven't got the time or inclination for that, throw a pound on your new clean quotes for luck that'll cover it and give their windows a good breakfast but I would never advocate criminal damage that's illegal.

Got a major problem when i think about it,i dont even know her name,only spoke to her once and that was when she first asked me to clean her windows,ive dealt with her son both times i went to clean as she was at work,any suggestions guys?
That's poor round managment. First and last names. Mobile number and address or not getting on the round.

I just move on my prices include non payment insurance haven't got time to worry about them it could get messy as well.
That's your perrogative Poles. I would never dream of letting one slide. Which is my perrogative.

I have one more to file this year and she got text yesterday so lets see what happens come Mondays deadline. /emoticons/biggrin.png

I hear what your saying but its so frustrating,we have done nothing wrong,did the job for a very fair price but for some unknown reason shes refusing to acknowledge us for the work she asked us to do,has a 64 plate merc sat on the drive ill bet she doesnt miss her payments for that!
It's just not worth the trouble and stress it would cause the Customer could challenge it saying anything they weren't cleaned, weren't cleaned to a sufficient standard, disputes charge whatever? Get on with life move on at least they can't ask you again.

Back