Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

trolley pump problems

• Thread starter The window cleaning kid
  • Start date
T

The window cleaning kid

Hi all, I have an X-line Trolley that is about a year old and recently am having problems with the pump.

The pump is x-line according to the sticker attached to it.

The problem is that after changing each barrel the water will not come out, with out me pulling it through via sucking on the out let pipe, once I have got the flow going manually, then works fine apart from the odd splatter splutter witch I thing may be an air lock problem.

I'm thinking its a blockage in the pump, may be sludge or grit as I don't have a filter before the water enters the pump.

Does any one Know if taking these pumps apart is possible or may be some thing I could flush it out with.

Cheers

Is it self priming? Ive had pumps that do that from brand new, and ones that never do. Might just be the design??

I'm not to sure what self priming is lol, but from new I have had too run each new barrel on a fast flow for a short period of time to get air out.

This wasted water but worked, now this doesn't work and has been like this for a couple of weeks.

Some thing has changed in the pump but not sure if broken or clogged with ****.

I've had pumps in the past that would block due to trapped air when refilling the barrel or letting the barrel run dry and the pump taking in air.

Try releasing (loosening and re-tightening) the out valve until the water flows through again. If there is no water at first that should confirm trapped air being the cause of your problems.

I would suggest its best to phone XLine and ask them the question. If its recently started happening and you are working the same as you have always done then its probably pump related.

Each pump has a tiny non return valve built into it so water is pushed out of the pump via the outlet rather than back out the inlet.

It could well be some dirt, hair, cord etc that could be causing this. This non return valve is basically a tiny plate held against its seat with a hair spring.

The pump does take time to prime, especially if you have a controller on a slow speed. (Priming is the pump sucking water up from the barrel/container and expelling the air as it pumps. The pump is primed when all the air has been expelled from the pump head. If you have clear plastic hose from the plastic container to the pump/pump box, then you should see the water slow coming up the pipe as the pump sucks.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only time I've used prefilters they have caused me bigger problems than they were worth. Don't get me wrong here, whether you fit one or not is up to the individual. I now haven't used one for years and have never had a problem with my pumps due to this. It could be that your pump is sucking a small amount of air in via a non airtight connection. Check the hose connection on the barrel side of the pump.

I have just posted this on another thread re this issue. You may find it useful:

On the airlock issue, if the intake hose on your trolley is 1/2inch like it is on many trollies, try switching it to 8mm microbore. It's the volume of air in this hose that goes from the barrel to the pump which causes the biggest problem. When you have changed it, All you need to do to clear an airlock is disconnect your pole hose on the output side of the trolley so there is as little back pressure as possible and turn your flow to full. Then reconnect and your done. Mine primes in about 3 seconds flat every time. If you are using a waterstop connector on the trolley, cut your pole hose 6inches from the trolley and fit a JG connector so you can disconnect and allow the water to flow freely.

To do this you will need to source a correct size adapter for your pump.

If you happen to be emptying containers then you will get airlocks . I always made sure that I swapped containers before all water was used up in each container .

I try not to run mine dry but it's inevitable sometimes, especially if your trolley is not in direct line of sight whilst you're working. However, with a setup that primes easily and in 2 or 3 seconds it's nice not to have to sweat about it if you do.

Make yourself a short length of hose with a fitting on one end to connect to the outlet hose from your pump and leave the other end open.

When you change barrels or start up first thing stick the open ended hose on with the pump running and put pressure up to about 70 it will clear in seconds then connect your normal hose up and your away.

I had this problem for the first 2 weeks after I bought my system and used to take ages to fully clear now it's clear in seconds.

Only needs to be about 6 inch long.......when you change your barrels you will always get an airlock whether you run dry or not.

Make yourself a short length of hose with a fitting on one end to connect to the outlet hose from your pump and leave the other end open.

When you change barrels or start up first thing stick the open ended hose on with the pump running and put pressure up to about 70 it will clear in seconds then connect your normal hose up and your away.

I had this problem for the first 2 weeks after I bought my system and used to take ages to fully clear now it's clear in seconds.

Only needs to be about 6 inch long.......when you change your barrels you will always get an airlock whether you run dry or not.
Evening guys.

Ive read all the individual comments & suggestions. One thing stands out, the " knowledge happily passed on" to assist others learning. Thats quality!.

As J and S mentions & some others, ive had a very similar recent experiences. Running out of water, unintentionally then filling back up resulting in "air locks!". Fast forward, ive a couple i bought before Christmas '20, i eventually recieved ( bad service), the "short hose fitting" with open other end. I thought " very cold weather", played apart. However, im gonna try the above - put " short hose in trolley" pump running Then FULL Flow (99 ) for a FEW Seconds..Hopefully, that bloody well clears it as its been a ball ache. Im glad im learning this now..just as im approaching upgrading my system soon?. Fyi - my trolley system is about 1.5 years old. 

Cheers,

Pane - WillShine.

Don’t know if this would work for you guys with van systems but how about this for an idea.  One of the problems with airlocks is that they cause the main pump to struggle to prime itself as air is compressible whereas water is not.

So perhaps fitting an impeller pump such as the following...

CE568F4B-C384-47FB-9554-5DD284421818.jpeg

...to the pickup hose in your tank would be a solution to the problem.  When you need to prime the main pump, disconnect the output hose from the main pump, perhaps at the reel.  Then, before you switch on the main pump, switch on the smaller impeller pump first, then switch on the main pump.  The smaller impeller pump will then assist the main pump to draw water up and push any air through the main pump.  After all the air has been purged from the main pump you can switch off the smaller pump.  As it is impeller driven the main pump will continue to be able to draw water through it.

As I say, it’s an idea that works in my head.  It may not work in practice, but it’s certainly something I’d try if I had the problem.

Don’t know if this would work for you guys with van systems but how about this for an idea.  One of the problems with airlocks is that they cause the main pump to struggle to prime itself as air is compressible whereas water is not.

View attachment 22999

...to the pickup hose in your tank would be a solution to the problem.  When you need to prime the main pump, disconnect the output hose from the main pump, perhaps at the reel.  Then, before you switch on the main pump, switch on the smaller impeller pump first, then switch on the main pump.  The smaller impeller pump will then assist the main pump to draw water up and push any air through the main pump.  After all the air has been purged from the main pump you can switch off the smaller pump.  As it is impeller driven the main pump will continue to be able to draw water through it.

As I say, it’s an idea that works in my head.  It may not work in practice, but it’s certainly something I’d try if I had the problem.
Hmm, id be surprised in practical terms Marko067, as the main device would need to be submerged in the trolley. Thus, power switch & crocodile clips would need to be outside of trolley, not being able to fasten down screw top lid?‍♂️. Good try though?.

Sorry Pane, it was an idea for those with more 'fixed' systems as in van based where it could be wired up and left in situ for when it's needed. 

Trolleys, though fundamentally the same, are usually simpler.  The shorter and smaller internal diameters of the hose involved usually make them quicker and easier to prime.  As I said in my old 2016 post, my trolley always primes and still does in about three seconds.

What trolley do you have?  Could it have a split in the pickup hose or maybe an ill fitting connection to the pump?  Does it have an inline filter?  Could it be blocked maybe?

View attachment 22999

Not needed and may not work at all, I had a big airlock the other day the pump was drawing water from the tank but wasn't pushing the water through the pump, the solution I was provided with by @doug atkinson was disconnect the hose from the hose reel switch the controller on and suck on hose that creates a vacuum and within a few seconds the water is coming out a vacuum is needed to get rid of the airlock, 

For some it will be easier to do than mine as I have a PowerUp reel so I had to cut the hose off the elbow and refit but for some one using hozelock style connectors it would be much easier and quicker. 

Not needed and may not work at all, I had a big airlock the other day the pump was drawing water from the tank but wasn't pushing the water through the pump, the solution I was provided with by @doug atkinson was disconnect the hose from the hose reel switch the controller on and suck on hose that creates a vacuum and within a few seconds the water is coming out a vacuum is needed to get rid of the airlock, 

For some it will be easier to do than mine as I have a PowerUp reel so I had to cut the hose off the elbow and refit but for some one using hozelock style connectors it would be much easier and quicker. 
Hey morning @Iron Giant..do you mean, " Literally Suck On Hose ?"..

Yeah, I suppose if you don’t empty your tank out often it’s not going to be something that’s going to happen often.  I remember doing the sucking trick before I worked out what the problem was with my trolley.  Wasn’t keen though as the connection was too close to the floor for my liking for sticking in my mouth, and of course being a trolley it ran dry on every other barrel.  Having sussed the problem out I never need to do it now, thankfully. ?

Back