Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Roof Clean HSE

Green Pro Clean Ltd

As any that do roofs know with heavy moss sometimes the only option is get the wire brush and scraper.

What I am curious about is how many actually wear a respirator (face mask) to avoid the concrete dust and crud from being inhaled? I do and look a bit like a bloody spaceman when working but I see many pics ans vids on FB and youtube etc where no PPE is used at all.

Thoughts?

I've also seen none on YouTube use any PPE and one use a harness in the USA makes you think why not don't they I guess they not too worried about their health and safety.

You see the Americans softwashing whole houses i shorts and tshirt with no ppe whatsoever

Obviously don't want to live too long..

Hi GP,

I scrape/brush roofs and always wear a mask. There is too much conc dust and moss spores flying around so best be safe.

I see you are cleaning roofs at this time of year, presumably you are scraping and soft washing.

I usually only clean roofs from April - October but have just been asked to do a large bungalow by the end of Jan, any tips for winter working?

Ive tried blackwash on roofs and haven't been over impressed with the results, its fantastic on render, but hasn't really 'cleaned' the roof.

What product are you using and at what mix?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

UG

You see the Americans softwashing whole houses i shorts and tshirt with no ppe whatsoeverObviously don't want to live too long..
All those guys seem to just use hypo which I was under the impression that unless you get it on your skin or in your eyes etc in large concentrations has no real adverse effects on health both long and short term in the small quantities they would be exposed to.

You don't want it on your skin ..i know that from experience

Plus they use other chems and mixes such as dragon juice etc and who knows what that will do to your skin

And always best not to breathe too much chlorine as it can cause respiratory problems

Plus you can't spray a whole roof from the ground with lichen and moss etc without scraping it all first unless you are using seriously strong concentrations of hypo or ddac as it wouldn't be effective

Back